What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

David Gallop in studio to take calls on 2SM Wednesday

gong_eagle

First Grade
He sounds very uncomfortable answering some of these questions

how much more credibility has he lost, if he had any to start with

Brutus

Referee
Nick: I just want to ask you a question regarding the coverage of Melbourne Storm games. I'm reminded of an article on the 28th of April titled "Angry Gallop Threat to 9 Use It or Lose It", it was basically about Channel 9 Melbourne's inability to broadcast, or choosing not to broadcast Melbourne Storm matches at a decent time. Now that was on the 28th of April last year, what I want to now is that why more than 13 months later nothing seems to have been done about this, despite the fact the Storm have been going scintillatingly brilliant over the last few years their fans can't even watch their team at a decent time.

Mr Gallop: Yeah they've certainly improved things and I guess Origin is an example of Nine in Melbourne committing to live Origin. We ....ahhhhh...at the start of the of the year with Melbourne Storm actually being live... ummm... we are always pushing for it, but Channel 9 want something on on Friday night that is going to rate and we are continuing to build interest in the game but we're not quite at a point where we can expect to be in prime time.

Will translate the second part soon.

innsaneink

Referee
"AFL are doing a little bit better than us with broadcast rights"
"Its comparable"

Can someone pls remind me what AFL gets and what NRL gets.

Downie

Guest Moderator
Nick: I just want to ask you a question regarding the coverage of Melbourne Storm games. I'm reminded of an article on the 28th of April titled "Angry Gallop Threat to 9 Use It or Lose It", it was basically about Channel 9 Melbourne's inability to broadcast, or choosing not to broadcast Melbourne Storm matches at a decent time. Now that was on the 28th of April last year, what I want to now is that why more than 13 months later nothing seems to have been done about this, despite the fact the Storm have been going scintillatingly brilliant over the last few years their fans can't even watch their at a decent time.

Mr Gallop: Yeah they've certainly improved things and I guess Origin is an example of Nine in Melbourne committing to live Origin. We ....ahhhhh...at the start of the of the year with Melbourne Storm actually being live... ummm... we are always pushing for it, but Channel 9 want something on on Friday night that is going to rate and we are continuing to build interest in the game but we're not quite at a point where we can expect to be in prime time.

Will translate the second part soon.

Not enough ahhhs and ummms.

bulldog

Bench
HAHAHAH! Stumped him! He had absolutely NO ANSWER!!!

He just said, "it is not possible to do that, at the moment", without giving a reason, and then I was cut off.

Shame he didn't really respond with anything of substance, but I'm sure you scared the absolute sh*t out of him when you brought up that article. Glad I got to hear your call, as soon as I heard "use it or lose it" I thought it would be someone from here, well spoken too, you done good.

gottabegood

Juniors
All games (NRL/AFL) are shown either on free to air or fox, and yet AFL gets the lions share of the spoils. So Gallop stuff your AFL have more FTA games, just sell more NRL games on FTA.

Plus re AFL having extra game time re ads resulting in more money, I don't see soccer having too much trouble raising revenue around the globe with f'all ads.

Brutus

Referee
Shame he didn't really respond with anything of substance, but I'm sure you scared the absolute sh*t out of him when you brought up that article. Glad I got to hear your call, as soon as I heard "use it or lose it" I thought it would be someone from here, well spoken too, you done good.

It's a shame Nick didn't get to his last question about the Swans and Lions being shown live despite woeful ratings.

Knight87

Juniors

Incase you're wondering, this is the article that I'm referring to as a source:

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=170001&highlight=Nine%3A+Use+it+OR+lose+it

You know what's funny Bulldog? It's just really funny to see how some 'supposedly smart' people (in this case, an ex-lawyer) need their memory refreshened, with cold hard facts and quotes they said, yet I have definitely noticed that nothing has been said about this in newspapers since, and Gallop probably thought that he could get away with not doing anything and pretend that no one remembered, with focusing on other constant tabloid journalistic articles, such as a looming death of Sydney clubs. Well, GUESS WHAT DAVE? I REMEMBER THAT ARTICLE LIKE YESTERDAY! I quoted it 'straight from the horses mouth'.

And yes, from the tone and sound of his voice, I could tell he was very nervous and SURPRISED that I mentioned that, as he wasn't expecting me to. Caught him off guard. I know he may be a patsy like George Dubya, but it still doesn't ignore from the fact of how someone can not only continuously lie to all the fans who've supported this game through the good times and more importantly, the bad times (aka SL), but to do such a thing pathologically and with no conscience or guilt at all is a more serious issue, especially for someone who is head of the game. When you start doing those sort of things, you can virtually be categorised alongside some of the world's most famous con-artists, cult leaders and frauds, who try to manipulate and infiltrate the minds of ppl with garbage, to deter away from what goes on 'behind the scenes'.

Last edited:

Brutus

Referee
Scrums question..

f**k OFFFFFFFF

Soft soft soft!!!

They still haven't rung me back.

gong_eagle

First Grade
So what Gallop is saying it isn't to a clubs best interest to foster their juniors as it would be unfair to some teams

Knight87

Juniors
HAHHAH! Hughesy's having the last word, in regards to radio coverage. I knew he was going to do that and he's obviously biting his tongue and trying to hold back what he really wants to say. Btw, I did call Hughesy a couple of months ago, in regards to the radio rights issue.

One thing that I hope does get discussed at the forum summit on June 24 is the exclusitivity of radio rights. That's GOTTA GO at the end of next year (when the radio rights deal expires).

gong_eagle

First Grade
HAHHAH! Hughesy's having the last word, in regards to radio coverage. I knew he was going to do that and he's obviously biting his tongue and trying to hold back what he really wants to say. Btw, I did call Hughesy a couple of months ago, in regards to the radio rights issue.

One thing that I hope does get discussed at the forum summit on June 24 is the exclusitivity of radio rights. That's GOTTA GO at the end of next year (when the radio rights deal expires).

Yep sounds like Hughsie wants to call the game again

innsaneink

Referee
LOL....fkn MGs got a lot to learn, " I think our listeners let us down a bit, too pedantic"

...at which point Ive twiddled the dial over to Gibbsy & Brandeye on SportsToday = 2UE

Latest posts