What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

David Gallop in studio to take calls on 2SM Wednesday

Knight87

Juniors
"AFL are doing a little bit better than us with broadcast rights"
"Its comparable"

Can someone pls remind me what AFL gets and what NRL gets.

Current NRL tv rights deal:

$500 million over 6 years (2007-2012), at an average of $83.3 million/year

Current AFL tv rights deal:

$780 million over 5 years (2007-2011), at an average of $156 million/year

So, as you can see, the AFL's deal (per year) is nearly double that of the NRL's deal (per year).

Knight87

Juniors
Bravo to Trevor from Tamworth, for giving it to the Continuous Call Team. It is impurile crap alright, and for rugby league purists, a disgrace.

Knight87

Juniors
So what Gallop is saying it isn't to a clubs best interest to foster their juniors as it would be unfair to some teams

That reminds me of a similar comments made by Gallop on the Sunday Footy Show forum held near the end of last season, where he said "We (the NRL) rely on teams such as Newcastle to produce a lot of juniors". What a load of BS (in regards to the motive behind it).

Ok, fair enough, I know I'm being a bit biased, being a Knights supporter, but the club doesn't get anything in return from producing all these juniors: Juniors that they've invested a lot of money in, in regards to their growth, league development programs etc. And other clubs (who I'm not going to mention), who make no effort in producing or developing their juniors, just live off the process of constantly raiding players from other clubs. The whole 'redistribution of wealth' concept Gallop's trying to imply is a load of crap. And so is the statement that you said Gallop said earlier, gong_eagle. Something does need to be done about that. The possibility of transfer fees (like what happens in European Soccer) being paid to that club, whom the Local Junior is from, paid by the other club they sign with, would be a very good solution this problem.

Ok, for all those who didn't listen, I said the following:

"In regards to decent FTA coverage of Melbourne Storm games for the Melbourne ppl, I am reminded of the following article:

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=170001&highlight=Nine%3A+Use+it+OR+lose+it

"Angry Gallop threat to Nine: Use it or Lose it", where basically, it summarises how Ch9 chose not to broadcast Storm matches at a decent time into Melbourne". Now, this article was written on 28.4.07. Why, more than 13 months later, despite the fact that the Storm have performed scintillatingly brilliant over the past 2-3 years, has nothing been done about this? The best team in the comps (for the past 2 or so years) fans can't even see their own side at a decent time"

To which, Gallop made up some BS response on how things at Ch9 have improved, Melbourne viewers got to see the test match and State of Origin live, blah, blah, blah (and he also mentioned that Ch9 were meeting its commitments and obligations, which is BS, as I know that Storm matches must be shown before midnight, and MANY times since, it has been shown after midnight in Melbourne)

to which I then replied:

But in the newspaper article, you mentioned of the possibility of either ABC or SBS as possible answers for Ch9's "CHOICE" not to broadcast Storm matches at a decent time

to which he then replied with a stern

"Well, unfortunately, at the moment, Ch9 are not able to do that"

And before I then got immediately cut off (due to his inability and squirmishness of not being able to answer my question), I was going to further say how Sydney Swans and Brisbane Lions fans get to see all of their FTA matches at a decent time, yet they rate like garbage.

well said mate.

im impressed with that.

donkey|rope

Juniors
That reminds me of a similar comments made by Gallop on the Sunday Footy Show forum held near the end of last season, where he said "We (the NRL) rely on teams such as Newcastle to produce a lot of juniors". What a load of BS (in regards to the motive behind it).

Ok, fair enough, I know I'm being a bit biased, being a Knights supporter, but the club doesn't get anything in return from producing all these juniors: Juniors that they've invested a lot of money in, in regards to their growth, league development programs etc. And other clubs (who I'm not going to mention), who make no effort in producing or developing their juniors, just live off the process of constantly raiding players from other clubs. The whole 'redistribution of wealth' concept Gallop's trying to imply is a load of crap. And so is the statement that you said Gallop said earlier, gong_eagle. Something does need to be done about that. The possibility of transfer fees (like what happens in European Soccer) being paid to that club, whom the Local Junior is from, paid by the other club they sign with, would be a very good solution this problem.
As a Raiders fan I agree 100%

If we (the NRL) rely on teams such as Newcastle produce a lot of juniors, what do we (the NRL) rely on inner-city Sydney teams for? In what capacity are they beneficial to the NRL and what cost do they pay in this wealth redistribution equation?

Also I'm totally in love with your concept of a transfer fee - so simple and could so easily implemented.

Current NRL tv rights deal:

$500 million over 6 years (2007-2012), at an average of $83.3 million/year

Current AFL tv rights deal:

$780 million over 5 years (2007-2011), at an average of $156 million/year

So, as you can see, the AFL's deal (per year) is nearly double that of the NRL's deal (per year).

and we outrate them by around 40 million viewers over the season

Knight87

Juniors
http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=170001&highlight=Nine:+Use+it+OR+lose+it

Remember, Channel 9: Use it or lose it! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Seriously, one day, we should have a congregation outside the gates or studios of Channel 9, and start a protest with holding signs "Ch9: Use it or lose it".

But yeah, as someone has already said earlier, the oxymoron to all of this is the reason there's been less and less sport on Ch9 is BECAUSE OF CH9!!!!

Jono078

Referee
Anyone know if i'll be able to download the interview?

I planned to listen but completely forgot about it.

Knight87

Juniors
and we outrate them by around 40 million viewers over the season

One only needs to go to astra.org.au (Australian Subscription TV ratings), and have a look (during the NRL Season) of what the top rating, not just sports, but all programs are on Foxtel/Austar, and you'll see, 99 times out of 100, it's dominated by the NRL. Infact, theres even weeks where all 5 of Fox Sports NRL matches are the top 5 highest rating programs on Foxtel during the week.

In regards to FTA, State of Origin I: Record ratings. NRL Grand Final ratings last year (the most watched FTA program of 2007) > AFL Grand Final ratings (Australiawide). Centenary Test match > AFL's hybrid all-stars match. Whenever games have been shown at a decent time on FTA to Melbourne, they've had very good ratings (from a league perspective). Even some Friday Night NRL matches have beaten AFL Friday Night matches in ratings (measured on AFL's 3 markets on OZtam: Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth vs NRL's TWO! markets: Brisbane and Sydney. So, we have beaten them, despite the fact AFL have an extra market. Also, AFL doesn't like using regional ratings either: for obvious reasons (two words: GRAND FINAL))

So yes, the current deal doesn't reflect the true nature of the source which says it all: the ratings. Even Gallops irrelevant argument that AFL games have an extra hour of broadcast time doesn't compensate and give reasoning for the fact that AFL rights deal/year is nearly double that of the NRL's.

Last edited:
One only needs to go to astra.org.au (Australian Subscription TV ratings), and have a look (during the NRL Season) of what the top rating, not just sports, but all programs are on Foxtel/Austar, and you'll see, 99 times out of 100, it's dominated by the NRL. Infact, theres even weeks where all 5 of Fox Sports NRL matches are the top 5 highest rating programs on Foxtel during the week.

In regards to FTA, State of Origin I: Record ratings. NRL Grand Final ratings last year > AFL Grand Final ratings (Australiawide). The most watched program on FTA last year. Whenever games have been shown at a decent time on FTA to Melbourne, they've had very good ratings (from a league perspective).

So yes, the current deal doesn't reflect the true nature of the source which says it all: the ratings. Even Gallops irrelevant argument that AFL games have an extra hour of broadcast time doesn't compensate and give reasoning for the fact that AFL rights deal/year is nearly double that of the NRL's.

mate your spot on.

your comments on that show are what a true RL fan would do.

im spewing i didnt hear it live.

well done

Knight87

Juniors
well, if theres one thing I've always wanted to do, it was to be a rugby league writer. I've always held an extremely keen interest for the game, and I can see why many have described it as 'the greatest game of all'. I know this sounds crazy but I use to write memos about rugby league from way back in the early years of primary school. Before the AJ Grandstand at Newcastle was built, back in the 90s, sitting on the old eastern hill, I use to visualise how the ground would look like in 10-20 yrs time and when I got home, I drew pictures of what was then known as Marathon Stadium and how I would design it, if I was an architect! LOL! I know that sounds crazy, but even from as far back as then, not just for the Knights, but my love for Rugby League was probably most epitomised by this.

But as I have already said in another thread, there's no chance of that happening, as in sports media in Australia, there's always been that attitude to go with an ex-player, regardless of whether they have had no media training or experience and cannot speak English properly (eg Gorden Tallis). I mean, to think that ppl like Gus Gould get paid hundreds and thousands of dollars a year to talk stuff that the average rugby league fan knows is pretty lame. I know of a lot of ppl on this forum that have come up with rugby league ideas that are 100x better than Gus Gould's, but they don't get anywhere near the amount of money and publicity that he does, yet as much as I like Gould at times, he has sometimes tried to play the victim when something has gone wrong, like he's some Hollywood celebrity (eg State of Origin 2004).

If I was invited on any RL program, to discuss rugby league issues, I wouldn't turn it down in a second.

Last edited:

Knight87

Juniors
I guess the thing that sums up my sentiments on tonights debarkle is this:

That in our Centenary Season: A year that is suppose to be a celebration of rugby league and all the individual achievements of those who have put their body on the line over the last 100 years, it's turned into an absolute farce. Now, there's talks of crisis summits (like the one going to be held on June 24). There have been a few good highlights, like the Centenary Test, Heritage Round and State of Origin, but it sucks when events such as "Team of the Century" have been overshadowed and kept in brief by people writing in letters to Paul Harragon on The Footy Show asking how to get laid??? What a joke! I know its been said many times about Fox and News Ltd, but I can't honestly say that Ch9 have been doing the game any favours over the last few years. Incidents such as the anti-League story on 60 minutes last week (by the broadcaster who televises League and whom League earns millions of dollars in revenue for, every single year) add a very sour dampener on what is suppose to be a year of celebration.

Not to mention, we've got the Arrogant Football League and their fabricated "150 year celebrations" (when they only held their Centenary 12 years ago!!!! I mean, you do the maths. 100+12 = 112, not 150), and then their recent appauling efforts trying to hijack our World Cup event. I mean, I can proudly say that as League fans, as much as I dispise and also hate Rugby Union, we respectfully never did any of this garbage to them when they had their World Cup in Australia a few years. It's funny how the Arrogant Football League contradict their intentions so often. They didn't want to hold the hybrid international rules game out in West Sydney's ANZ Stadium, out of fear of low crowd attendances, yet at the same time, they're pushing for an AFL team out there.

well, if theres one thing I've always wanted to do, it was to be a rugby league writer. I've always held an extremely keen interest for the game, and I can see why many have described it as 'the greatest game of all'. I know this sounds crazy but I use to write memos about rugby league from way back in the early years of primary school. Before the AJ Grandstand at Newcastle was built, back in the 90s, sitting on the old eastern hill, I use to visualise how the ground would look like in 10-20 yrs time and when I got home, I drew pictures of what was then known as Marathon Stadium and how I would design it, if I was an architect! LOL! I know that sounds crazy, but even from as far back as then, not just for the Knights, but my love for Rugby League was probably most epitomised by this.

But as I have already said in another thread, there's no chance of that happening, as in sports media in Australia, there's always been that attitude to go with an ex-player, regardless of whether they have had no media training or experience and cannot speak English properly (eg Gorden Tallis). I mean, to think that ppl like Gus Gould get paid hundreds and thousands of dollars a year to talk stuff that the average rugby league fan knows is pretty lame. I know of a lot of ppl on this forum that have come up with rugby league ideas that are 100x better than Gus Gould's, but they don't get anywhere near the amount of money and publicity that he does, yet as much as I like Gould at times, he has sometimes tried to play the victim when something has gone wrong, like he's some Hollywood celebrity (eg State of Origin 2004).

If I was invited on any RL program, to discuss rugby league issues, I wouldn't turn it down in a second.

youd have to study journalism i guess.

but if you wanted it and got a job at one of the papers i cant see why not

we need people in the media who love RL.

because most of the muppets atm that isnt the case.

keep up your passion for the game. we need more people like you behind it beause we are not getting a fair go from the media or other sports.

Knight87

Juniors
but as I already said dallymessenger, even if you did go to uni, in sports in Australia, 99% of the time, they always go with ex-players, who can't speak English properly, and use recycled hackneyed expressions. I can guarantee you that more than 50% of the ppl here at LU, if they were given the job for a day, they'd do a 10x better job than the current crop of so called 'experts'.

but as I already said dallymessenger, even if you did go to uni, in sports in Australia, 99% of the time, they always go with ex-players, who can't speak English properly, and use recycled hackneyed expressions. I can guarantee you that more than 50% of the ppl here at LU, if they were given the job for a day, they'd do a 10x better job than the current crop of so called 'experts'.

there are loads of journos that have never played the game in first grade.

frilingos was probably the best RL journo, and he didnt do anything much on the field.

nor did dean ritchie, paul kent or many others.

even if it was for a local paper in newcastle and worked your way up.

donkey|rope

Juniors
If you really want it mate, stuff uni, write a blog.