What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

David Gallop in studio to take calls on 2SM Wednesday

Knight87

Juniors
what about a youtube vlog account, ay? LOL! well, actually, I know of a fair few ppl that have had a lot of job offers as a result of their fame and popularity on youtube (this is one of them:http://youtube.com/user/miaarose?ob=4 As a result of what she did, she got a record contract). Well, most of it is related to music or acting, but I'm not sure whether too many ppl would tune into a rugby league 'channel' though on youtube.

Last edited:

donkey|rope

Juniors
what about a youtube vlog account, ay? LOL! well, actually, I know of a fair few ppl that have had a lot of job offers as a result of their fame and popularity on youtube. Well, most of it is related to music or acting, but I'm not sure whether too many ppl would tune into a rugby league 'channel' though on youtube.
Forget a video blogging. If you want to write about Rugby League with the view to eventually be paid writer, you'd be best served writing a blog. Its also a far more realistic prospect, because your chances of being a tv Rugby League pundit is zero.

Knight87

Juniors
Forget a video blogging. If you want to write about Rugby League with the view to eventually be paid writer, you'd be best served writing a blog. Its also a far more realistic prospect, because your chances of being a tv Rugby League pundit is zero.

So, with the blog, where would be a good starting point?

donkey|rope

Juniors
you should probably start by checking out blogger.com or wordpress.com. they are free services. do a bit of research. look at popular blogs (pay attention to sports blogs in particular) why the work and look at blogs which aren't populat and why they don't work.

I guess the thing that sums up my sentiments on tonights debarkle is this:

That in our Centenary Season: A year that is suppose to be a celebration of rugby league and all the individual achievements of those who have put their body on the line over the last 100 years, it's turned into an absolute farce. Now, there's talks of crisis summits (like the one going to be held on June 24). There have been a few good highlights, like the Centenary Test, Heritage Round and State of Origin, but it sucks when events such as "Team of the Century" have been overshadowed and kept in brief by people writing in letters to Paul Harragon on The Footy Show asking how to get laid??? What a joke! I know its been said many times about Fox and News Ltd, but I can't honestly say that Ch9 have been doing the game any favours over the last few years. Incidents such as the anti-League story on 60 minutes last week (by the broadcaster who televises League and whom League earns millions of dollars in revenue for, every single year) add a very sour dampener on what is suppose to be a year of celebration.

Not to mention, we've got the Arrogant Football League and their fabricated "150 year celebrations" (when they only held their Centenary 12 years ago!!!! I mean, you do the maths. 100+12 = 112, not 150), and then their recent appauling efforts trying to hijack our World Cup event. I mean, I can proudly say that as League fans, as much as I dispise and also hate Rugby Union, we respectfully never did any of this garbage to them when they had their World Cup in Australia a few years. It's funny how the Arrogant Football League contradict their intentions so often. They didn't want to hold the hybrid international rules game out in West Sydney's ANZ Stadium, out of fear of low crowd attendances, yet at the same time, they're pushing for an AFL team out there.
I have to agree, I have been saying all season how this is the NRL's best chance to promote the game right and get the interest that was there in the '80's and '90's back.
AS a retailer of NRL gear the interest in NRL related product in my store is at a all time low and people don't even now about the centenary year, what i have found is that people who do know have paytv the ones that don't know much about it don't.
NRL had a great ad to start the season but when is the last time you saw it? about round 5 was the last time i saw it. I predict the NRL will nor be around in 10 years unless there are some major changes in the front office and marketing dept.
Rugby League will live for eva, but the NRL is on borrowed time.

Knight87

Juniors
Pity he cut you off nick, well done.

You should've said, well each time they are put on, they rate better than the swans do in Sydney, so what's 9's problem?

That's what I was just about to get into, before I got cut off. However, I am thinking about ringing tomorrow evening and say some more stuff (besides this) that I didn't get the chance to. But, if that Gavin "I haven't reached puberty yet" Robertson is on the show, he may try and make some lame attempt to laugh at my call 30 seconds after I've finished.:lol::lol:

Last edited:

nqboy

First Grade
It'll be interesting to see how the papers write his interview up. "GALLOP SMASHED BY FANS" or "NRL CEO CONNECTS WITH THE GRASS ROOTS".

Knight87

Juniors
It'll be interesting to see how the papers write his interview up. "GALLOP SMASHED BY FANS" or "NRL CEO CONNECTS WITH THE GRASS ROOTS".

I'll be surprised if the interview does get much media exposure, tbh. I can't see the Telegraph doing much. If the events tonight get any exposure, it will be from the SMH.

Knight87

Juniors
I have to agree, I have been saying all season how this is the NRL's best chance to promote the game right and get the interest that was there in the '80's and '90's back.
AS a retailer of NRL gear the interest in NRL related product in my store is at a all time low and people don't even now about the centenary year, what i have found is that people who do know have paytv the ones that don't know much about it don't.
NRL had a great ad to start the season but when is the last time you saw it? about round 5 was the last time i saw it. I predict the NRL will nor be around in 10 years unless there are some major changes in the front office and marketing dept.
Rugby League will live for eva, but the NRL is on borrowed time.

A few things:

1) Where abouts is your retail store at (geographically, in regards to whether its right near the rugby league ground or not)? When would you say that merchandise sales start to diminish and when were they at their peak (since you've been working at whatever franchise or store it is)?

2) The last time I saw the Centenary Ad (as an ad. So, that does not include the intro to Ch9's Sunday Football) was at the Sydney Roosters/Knights match in Gosford on Heritage Round. On tv, I'd say around Rd 5 sounds right.

3) Why don't you think the NRL will be around in 10 yrs? What makes you think they're on borrowed time?

4) If the NRL disintegrates, what will the new governing body or organisation for the national competition be? The ARL?

A few things:

1) Where abouts is your retail store at (geographically, in regards to whether its right near the rugby league ground or not)? When would you say that merchandise sales start to diminish and when were they at their peak (since you've been working at whatever franchise or store it is)?

2) The last time I saw the Centenary Ad (as an ad. So, that does not include the intro to Ch9's Sunday Football) was at the Sydney Roosters/Knights match in Gosford on Heritage Round. On tv, I'd say around Rd 5 sounds right.

3) Why don't you think the NRL will be around in 10 yrs? What makes you think they're on borrowed time?

4) If the NRL disintegrates, what will the new governing body or organisation for the national competition be? The ARL?

1. Mid North Coast. 1st half of last season was peak, sales were great, this year should have been better but it has gone backwards, no one knows the heritage logo due to lack of exposure. The NRL charge manufacters 15% to use the logo but don't seem to do give it enough exposure.

2. Yeah ch9 uses it as it's start up but thats when you expect to NRL.

3. Unless they can get better TV rights money they won't be able to keep the best talent here, clubs are struggling now mainly in sydney where there is too many teams. While ever News ltd is involved there will be a Super League hangover, a lot of people haven't got over super league they still think News ltd tried to hijack the game and steal it from the people. I can see now where super league had some great ideas , less teams for a start, jerseys all by one manufacter and many more. They just went about it the wrong way and got the fans offside in the process.

4. There has to be one body, the NRL, ARL, NSWRL, CRL and QRL all need to join as one for the game to move ahead. Don't know what you would call it, Eastern Australia Rugby League? Austrailan National Rugby League?
It just has to happen IMO.

Knight87

Juniors
4. There has to be one body, the NRL, ARL, NSWRL, CRL and QRL all need to join as one for the game to move ahead. Don't know what you would call it, Eastern Australia Rugby League? Austrailan National Rugby League?
It just has to happen IMO.

Fully agree with the part highlighted in bold. It's quite ridiculous when you think about all the different governing bodies that exist in League, then you look at other sports, it puts us to shame. Unless we all come under one roof, there will always be that conflict and difference of opinion that will exist.

hellteam

First Grade
Fully agree with the part highlighted in bold. It's quite ridiculous when you think about all the different governing bodies that exist in League, then you look at other sports, it puts us to shame. Unless we all come under one roof, there will always be that conflict and difference of opinion that will exist.

But all the other sports have different governing bodies too.

AFL - VFL, SARL, WARL etc
Rugby - QRU, NSWRU etc

You can't just get rid of the QRL or NSWRL.

Knight87

Juniors
well, not so much that there's different governing bodies, but we just simply have too many. I mean, goodness knows how many there are. Eventually, I would like to some of them succeed by others to the point where decision making can come under one organisation, and that that organisation must be of members that are independent of the organisation, not like the current one where some members of the NRL have ties with News Limited.

Brutus

Referee
That's what I was just about to get into, before I got cut off. However, I am thinking about ringing tomorrow evening and say some more stuff (besides this) that I didn't get the chance to. But, if that Gavin "I haven't reached puberty yet" Robertson is on the show, he may try and make some lame attempt to laugh at my call 30 seconds after I've finished.:lol::lol:

That would be great if you could follow up the call today regarding how the Swans rate in Sydney. Please do!

Bugger Robertson, tell him to butt out. I'm Graeme and Geyer will be interested in your call.

Knight87

Juniors
Ok, I will do so. At the moment, unfortunately, I am battling a sore throat and atrotious weather conditions where I am. I've got uni this afternoon, finish at 4pm. I'll try and get on sometime between 5pm and 6pm, but I'll post on this website just before I manage to get on. There are 3 more things that I would like to say (one of them being what you just mentioned Brutus), that I didn't get to yesterday, due to the obvious time constraints, but this time, it shouldn't be a problem

Last edited:

Brutus

Referee
Ok, I will do so. At the moment, unfortunately, I am battling a sore throat and atrotious weather conditions where I am. I've got uni this afternoon, finish at 4pm. I'll try and get on sometime between 5pm and 6pm, but I'll post on this website just before I manage to get on. There are 3 more things that I would like to say (one of them being what you just mentioned Brutus), that I didn't get to yesterday, due to the obvious time constraints, but this time, it shouldn't be a problem

Fire up Nick, i'll be listening!

Knight87

Juniors
hey guys, I'm back from university. I've just heated up some dinner, and am going to ring into 2SM now.

Knight87

Juniors
ok, just rung in, they took my name and #, and they'll be giving me a call back:) I'll let you guys know just before I go on air.