What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dazzling Hayne up for big year

PARRAMATTA EELS 30 SYDNEY ROOSTERS 24

IT was only another trial but new Parramatta coach Daniel Anderson has seen enough to convince him that last year's capitulation is behind his team after they were the disappointment of 2008.
With five-eighth Jarryd Hayne starring for the second week in a row, Parramatta turned on the flair after half-time to overturn an early 10-0 deficit and head into the new season on a high after running in five tries.

"We've been solid,'' Anderson said. "We haven't done anything fantastic but certainly nothing poor - and that's the best thing.

"I can't give you a list of negatives, all I've got is positives. I'm really happy with the attitude. We're committed, we've got a good attitude, we seem to be pretty fit and we're willing to mix it up, so that's all you can ask at this time of the year.''

Trailing 10-6 at the break, Parramatta hit top gear in the second half with Hayne scoring two tries, including a superb run in which he burst through a gap and rounded Roosters fullback Anthony Minichiello to score between the posts.

He also laid on a spectacular try for Luke Burt in which he broke through a tackle and offloaded for the fullback to sprint 50 metres.

The Eels appear to have overcome the attacking deficiencies that saw them finish a disappointing 11th in 2008, with wingers Eric Grothe and Krisnan Inu also prominent.

"We started slowly and were 10-0 down but I thought we were very, very good from then on,'' Anderson said.

"We're making small steps in the right direction. We created a lot of space, which was good, and that's when Jarryd and Burty found little holes.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,25120861-5006066,00.html

"In Jarryd's case, he is learning when to inject himself. It's a unique position but he is exciting. I enjoy watching him.''

It wasn't all bad news for the Roosters, who finished on the wrong end of the scoreboard but managed to score five tries after crossing twice late in the game.

Halfback Mitchell Pearce was particularly impressive, laying on three tries, while Mitch Aubusson and Sam Perrett crossed for a double each.

"We had patches of good and patches where we were scratching our head over things,'' said Roosters back-rower Craig Fitzgibbon.

"We've still got a lot of things we need to work on, but it was a typical trial - all in all, I'm really not sure where we're at.

"Most teams would be the same. We're still a while off full fitness, but everyone is in the same boat.

"We'll know more when we play Souths in round one.''

Fulltime
PARRAMATTA 30 (J Hayne 2 T Mannah L Burt K Inu tries L Burt 5 goals) bt SYDNEY ROOSTERS 24 (S Perrett 2 M Aubusson 2 B Jones tries C Fitzgibbon S Ke

Stagger eel

Staff member
the experiment so far has paid off, there's been alot of talk of passing game or lack off, but his role doesn't warrant it, he plays a roving commission at five-eight similar to a fullbacks and has the ability to create opportunities of his bat and not rely on people putting him through holes.

Regardless of what happens, he should be given 4 weeks into the premiership,to turn into something special and I can't see why wouldn't be able to do it.

Utey

Coach
I don't think you can put a time limit on the experiment. If it's on and off for 4 weeks, I'd be willing to let it continue. If this pays off it'll be a coaching masterstroke IMO.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I don't think you can put a time limit on the experiment. If it's on and off for 4 weeks, I'd be willing to let it continue. If this pays off it'll be a coaching masterstroke IMO.

well if there's evidence there that he will become a better asset in that position that naturally you'd stick it out..

he played about 50 to 60 minutes at 6 last week and I dare say he played the whole match last night as i don't think there was any outside backs coming off the bench so he's still wet behind the ears however if there's an obvious drop in form than you'd have to drag him back at 1, but in saying that both those rolse are quite similar in attack so I can see why he couldn't make impression.

Kornstar

Coach
I thought Hayne was outstanding, DA was right, Hayne should touch the ball as much as possible!

HevyDevy

Coach
Having attended both games, Hayne was much better last night.

Kicked well, ran the ball strongly, broke the line and was always involved.

Bring Finch and Mateo back in to worry about the playmaking roles and the side is starting to look ominous.

Also great to see Inu make an impact last night.

Glenn

First Grade
Pleasing news about Hayne getting some time under his belt at 5/8, if it is master stroke reamins to be seen during the season proper.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Sounds like Hayne has put last years poor year behind him and is ready for a big 2009. If him and Inu play like we know they can back up by some of the younger blokes i am sure we are a good chance to make the 8. And it also sounds like fitness will not be an issue this year.

mickdo

Coach
Just the number of line breaks, and his kicking game were the good points for Hayne. Only a trial, but a good start.

strider

Post Whore
come the real games Hayne will be targetted massively by oppositions - just like every other good 5/8 and half .... teams are still working their own sh*t out in trials, they won't target as much - but come mid-season Jarryd is gonna be making 25+ tackles a game on big boppa's and having 2 of the opposition's meanest defenders crawling all over him ..... hopefully he's up for it

Stagger eel

Staff member
come the real games Hayne will be targetted massively by oppositions - just like every other good 5/8 and half .... teams are still working their own sh*t out in trials, they won't target as much - but come mid-season Jarryd is gonna be making 25+ tackles a game on big boppa's and having 2 of the opposition's meanest defenders crawling all over him ..... hopefully he's up for it

I'm more the confident he can hold his own, he's quite an imposing figure who can handle the rough stuff, he's much better suited for it than someone like Benji and Lockyer.

jono

Juniors
" The Eels appear to have overcome the attacking deficiencies that saw them finish a disappointing 11th in 2008, with wingers Eric Grothe and Krisnan Inu also prominent."

I find this interesting . I would really like to know just how bad/good EGJ went? In othe posts his performance ranges from u6's error-prone hasn 't learnt a thing from last year to very solid and good contributions along with Ben Smith. Just which EGJ turned up?

strider

Post Whore
I'm more the confident he can hold his own, he's quite an imposing figure who can handle the rough stuff, he's much better suited for it than someone like Benji and Lockyer.
yeah he should be ok i guess - the work he's done to bulk up should help him both psycologically and physically ..... but he's never played in a position that has to do so much work and he has had some "lay down" tendancies at times, so its a little concern at the back of my mind

Stagger eel

Staff member
" The Eels appear to have overcome the attacking deficiencies that saw them finish a disappointing 11th in 2008, with wingers Eric Grothe and Krisnan Inu also prominent."

I find this interesting . I would really like to know just how bad/good EGJ went? In othe posts his performance ranges from u6's error-prone hasn 't learnt a thing from last year to very solid and good contributions along with Ben Smith. Just which EGJ turned up?

here's a tip, the best opinion is always your own...checking him out in round 1 for yourself and then decide. ;-)

caylo

Bench
yeah he should be ok i guess - the work he's done to bulk up should help him both psycologically and physically ..... but he's never played in a position that has to do so much work and he has had some "lay down" tendancies at times, so its a little concern at the back of my mind

5-8 generally defend one wide of the centre. I would have Finch (or Keating, depends on who plays halfback) defending between Grothe and Smith. That would leave Hayne to defend between Inu and Tautai, all of which weight around or above 100kg, and are very solid defenders. Hayne can definatly tackle the big bobbers, just hope it doesn't stint his attacking potential.

HevyDevy

Coach

He was heavily involved. He made two errors - one from a cross-field kick and the other in a tackle but he also hit the ball up hard and attracted three and four defenders every time.

So although he wasn't spectacular, he was certainly prominent - just not to the same extent as Inu and Hayne etc.

HevyDevy

Coach
5-8 generally defend one wide of the centre. I would have Finch (or Keating, depends on who plays halfback) defending between Grothe and Smith. That would leave Hayne to defend between Inu and Tautai, all of which weight around or above 100kg, and are very solid defenders. Hayne can definatly tackle the big bobbers, just hope it doesn't stint his attacking potential.

They don't typically defend there unless the coach is trying to hide them.

wow... Hayne is now feeling the love on this site - how things change, It's nice to be loved... awaiting Parra Jesus..

strider

Post Whore

They don't typically defend there unless the coach is trying to hide them.
yeah .... we've never had 5/8 defending outside our centre in my memory and i'm damn sure most teams don't (unless its brittle boy benji defending) .... altho if we tried it and it worked for us I don't see why not