What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

De Belin Named In NRL Nines Squad

getsmarty

Immortal
De Belin Named In NRL Nines Squad

Sat 16th January, 12:00PM A A

St George Illawarra Dragons prop Jack de Belin is the first player to be named in the team taking part in the NRL Auckland Nines competition taking place at Eden Park, Auckland on Saturday, February 6-Sunday, February 7.
The Cootamundra Bulldogs junior missed-out on selection for the previous edition of the two-day tournament through injury but is happy to be a part of what is always a great and action-packed weekend.

“I am stoked to have been selected as I was part of the inaugural competition which was such a good weekend,” said de Belin.
“It will be fun getting to play in such a great crowd which will include hopefully a few Red V Members and I’m excited by the atmosphere.
“It’s good to have this type of trial coming-up as any professional footballer will tell you what a slog pre-season training is so anytime you can see the finish line you start to perk-up a bit.”
The Dragons have been included in the Piha Pool alongside the Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks, Gold Coast Titans and Canberra Raiders in the two-day tournament to be staged on Saturday, February 6 and Sunday, February 7.
All 16 NRL teams will enter the tournament which carries prize money of more than $AU2.4 million.
The teams, which have nine players, are split into the four pools and play nine minute halves.
The top two teams from each group advance to the knockout stage of the tournament before the two top teams play in the final.

The full squads for the pre-season fixtures are yet to be finalised but all players, provided they are fit, will either be competing against the Wynnum-Manly Seagulls at Redlands or taking part in the NRL Auckland Nines as both events are on the same weekend.
Each day the Dragons will reveal an additional member of the travelling squads for either the Wynnum-Manly Seagulls or NRL Auckland Nines team, alternating the teams, via dragons.com.au and our respective social media channels.
Wynnum-Manly Seagulls Squad:
Gareth Widdop (c)
NRL Nines Squad:
Jack de Belin

dino2170

Juniors
Why name them each day. WTF, that is reediculousssss. and why select widdop the best player we have againts a mickey mouse side FAIR DINKUM

Last edited:

dino2170

Juniors
whats your nines team
mine is
dugan
nightengale
lafai
milne
marshall
mathews
ah mah
thommo
havili
aitken reserve
jdb reserve

pjljmjjj

Juniors
I think Dufty deserves a chance. Plenty of pace and step could cause damage out wide in nines. Worth seeing how he handles the higher grade.

BennyV

Referee
I'm surprised people are overlooking Cooper for the 9s. Hard runner, fit as anything, good footwork, offload, tackles like a moffo...seems like he ticks all the boxes for a prop playing in the 9s.

nrlnrl

First Grade
Why name them each day. WTF, that is reediculousssss. and why select widdop the best player we have againts a mickey mouse side FAIR DINKUM

Despite what they might say, coaches don't rate the 9's & even though the Dragons only have a trial against Mackay to begin with, they're just doing the standard pre-season of giving players time on the field. The Broncos play the Cowboys on the weekend of the 9's & will be sending 'split squads' to that trial & the 9's as well. The 9's will be fun, but teams won't be sending all the stars the NRL hoped for. ( even allowing for guidelines for team selections)

watatank

Coach
I'm surprised people are overlooking Cooper for the 9s. Hard runner, fit as anything, good footwork, offload, tackles like a moffo...seems like he ticks all the boxes for a prop playing in the 9s.

Makes more sense than De Belin

Would prefer key players to be playing rugby league trial matches instead of thaf Mickey Mouse rubbish in Auckland.

Especially think we should be fiddling with back line combos in the 13 a side game.

watatank

Coach
We need to send one of top 5 earners as well as at least 12 out of the top 25. I would just send Dugan down to lead the team. The aim would be to keep the main combinations intact for the other trial, so would be looking at this game to fill with players that won't affect that too much. Assuming Dugan will be playing centre and Mann will be fullback btw.

Quinlan
Glymin
Dugan
Milne
Hutchison
McCrone
Havili
De Belin
Cooper
Lui
Fai Fai Loa
Carr
McCarthy
Marketo
Host
Sele

Ljackson7

Juniors
Dugan, milne, fai fai loa,carr,glymin,dufty, aitken, lafai, hutchinson, mccrone, quinlan, debelin, havili, lui, ikahihifo, cooper, matthews, thompson.

BennyV

Referee
We need to send one of top 5 earners as well as at least 12 out of the top 25. I would just send Dugan down to lead the team. The aim would be to keep the main combinations intact for the other trial, so would be looking at this game to fill with players that won't affect that too much. Assuming Dugan will be playing centre and Mann will be fullback btw.

Quinlan
Glymin
Dugan
Milne
Hutchison
McCrone
Havili
De Belin
Cooper
Lui
Fai Fai Loa
Carr
McCarthy
Marketo
Host
Sele

Yeah, I'd avoid sending Lafai or Mann, agree they need to work on their combos. Would also consider Ikahihifo and let Host or Sele have a crack in the main trial. I'd also send either Rein or Havili.

Old Timer

Coach
It will be a mixture of new signings, U/20's training with 1st grade, bench 1st graders, a couple of 1st graders.
Carr
Dufty
Faifai Loa
Glymin
Hutchison
Matau'tai
Nightingale (C)
Quinlan
Ah Mau
Cooper
De Belin
Havilli
Host
Lawrie
Lui
Marketo
Sele

watatank

Coach
Yeah, I'd avoid sending Lafai or Mann, agree they need to work on their combos. Would also consider Ikahihifo and let Host or Sele have a crack in the main trial. I'd also send either Rein or Havili.

Already got Havili in the team..

I think we want the edge players and the key position players (1,6,7,9) playing in the same trial and then the middle forwards can be relatively interchangeable. As long as that is achieved then I don't mind who goes where.

Latest posts