What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

De Belin Named In NRL Nines Squad

BrissyRedV

Bench
Yeah..Can't work this one out. Surely a big guy like Masoe would be easy to step around in the nines??

Yeah, in defence could be a real liability but in attack could be a master-stroke. Anyone know if it is unlimited interchange or subs?

duck

Juniors
I imagine Mose would attract 4 defenders. Offloads and there's 5 defenders covering the width of the field.

To be quite honest I'm talking outa my arse. No idea. I've never watched the 9s.

This guy is not built for touch football.

Very confusing selection.

Perhaps with unlimited interchange Saints can bring him on when we are attacking and withdraw him when the other team has possession of the ball.

Maybe a chance to see how Masoe goes in defence against quick players.

The Nick

Bench
In defence he will be a liability but in attack he will be devastating as it will take at least 2-3 players to bring him down everytime.

If one of our boys gets pulled down just short of the tryline and Masoe lines up for a crash ball off dummy half, opposition has to get at least 3 or 4 bodies in front of him to hold him up. If they compress in to stop him, dummy half just throws the ball out the back and we go wide.

Either way, who gives a shit it's only the 9's. I could barely care if we lose every single game or win the whole thing outright TBH.

The Nick

Bench
ANother note re: Masoe - the Poly boys are generally very good at playing off the cuff freestyle football so another reason why he could be a very good choice.

Maybe this time when he throws a gridiron style pass across his own tryline to his winger it actually comes off?

BennyV

Referee
In defence he will be a liability but in attack he will be devastating as it will take at least 2-3 players to bring him down everytime.

If one of our boys gets pulled down just short of the tryline and Masoe lines up for a crash ball off dummy half, opposition has to get at least 3 or 4 bodies in front of him to hold him up. If they compress in to stop him, dummy half just throws the ball out the back and we go wide.

Either way, who gives a shit it's only the 9's. I could barely care if we lose every single game or win the whole thing outright TBH.

Depends which dummy half :sarcasm:

getsmarty

Immortal
Auckland Nines 2016: St George Illawarra Dragons forward Mose Masoe picked for tournament

January 26, 2016 9:12amAAP
origin:video_integrator.hybjJlMDE6MbaHmOm6EmsfZOBugudqJl

ST George Illawarra’s new 130kg enforcer Mose Masoe is surprised to be picked but reckons he can make a dent at next week’s NRL Auckland Nines tournament.
The former Sydney Roosters and Penrith prop has spent the past two years with St Helens in the English Super League and believes his game has grown in leaps and bounds.
But even Masoe was taken aback by his selection in Paul McGregor’s squad for the fast-paced Nines event.
“It was surprising for myself because it’s not really meant to be for the bigger dudes,” the 199cm Samoa international said.
“It’s more for the faster guys, so I’m quite stoked at being named.
“It’ll be less people to tackle me, so I might get a few one-on-one situations, get a bit more space to target smaller guys.”

Masoe’s size and strength have always left coaches salivating. But having struggled to live up to the potential seen when he broke through with the Roosters in 2010, he reinvented himself in the UK and is grateful for a second chance in the NRL.
“I’ve matured as a player and I picked up some useful things in England,” said Masoe.
“And I’ve already picked up things here with the Dragons in terms of training and fitness.”
The one thing that could keep Masoe from lining up at the Nines is a rib cartilage injury suffered at training last week.
“It’d be good to play in the Nines, but if it’s not ready I don’t want to risk my season,” he said.
“It’s just one of those annoying injuries and takes time to heal.”
Masoe is one of several promising off-season recruits at the Dragons, who finished eighth last year, and the potential is there for a deep post-season run in 2016, but Masoe couldn’t be talked into a prediction.
“We’ll keep ripping in and see how we go,” he said.
“Maybe we’ll fly under the radar and see if we can get some teams, and try and make the eight like they did last year.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...39c8e43869afe9

BrissyRedV

Bench
http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2016/01/26/matthews_named_in_nr.html

Matthews Named In NRL Nines Squad

Tue 26th January, 12:00PM

St George Illawarra Dragons second-rower Will Matthews is ready to test himself after being named in the team to take part in the NRL Auckland Nines competition taking place at Eden Park, Auckland on Saturday, February 6-Sunday, February 7.

The Kyogle Turkeys junior is in the midst of his rehabilitation after having shoulder surgery during the off-season and is eager to return to the field in a somewhat favourable environment.

“It’s pretty exciting for me as I played there last season so I kind of know what to expect,” said Matthews.

“It’s an exciting weekend to be a part of getting to have a bit of match fitness while having fun and I’m looking forward to it.

“It’s a different concept and style of play to what we are used to but it allows players to express themselves differently on the field.”

Wynnum-Manly Seagulls Squad:

Gareth Widdop (c)
Joel Thompson
Ben Creagh
Mike Cooper
Jason Nightingale
Tom Carr

NRL Nines Squad:

Jack de Belin
Euan Aitken
Josh Dugan
Kurt Mann
Mose Masoe
Will Matthews

getsmarty

Immortal
Lafai Named In NRL Nines Squad

Thu 28th January, 12:00PM A A

St George Illawarra Dragons centre Tim Lafai believes a lot of talent will on display when he takes part in the NRL Auckland Nines competition taking place at Eden Park, Auckland on Saturday, February 6-Sunday, February 7.
The Toa Samoa international is well aware of the unorthodox playing structures needed to employed during the two-day tournament and is expecting it to bring out the best in the players.

“I’m honoured to have been named in the Nines squad as I heard it’s an awesome weekend to be a part of,” said Lafai.
“It’s sure to bring out the best in the talent that has been named to take part in the tournament and it’ll be fun.”

NRL Nines Squad:
Jack de Belin
Euan Aitken
Josh Dugan
Kurt Mann
Mose Masoe
Will Matthews
Tim Lafai

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2016/01/28/lafai_named_in_nrl_n.html