What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dean Lonergan: It's about sense, not cents, Lowie

Dean Lonergan: It's about sense, not cents, Lowie

5:00AM Friday March 28, 2008
By Dean Lonergan

lonergan.jpg

Dean Lonergan. Photo / Glenn Jeffrey

It saddens me to see that Graham Lowe is pursuing an unfair dismissal case against the New Zealand Rugby League for a six-figure sum.
Lowie has been a mate of mine for 20 years so I choose my words for this column carefully and I guess this is an open letter to Lowie.
Mate, everything that you set your mind to in our great game, you achieved it and more, from coaching the Kiwis with success to coaching and winning with Wigan and Manly and the Queensland side in State of Origin. Everything you turned your hand to turned to gold. And when you wanted to own and run the Warriors you did that too.
When you wanted to be a media commentator you did that and when you wanted to get back into the game for the NZRL but, on your own terms, you did that as well.
Over the years, Lowie, you have professed many times how much you love the game and, having known you for so many years, I know this to be true. So I can't believe that when the game is financially crippled and the revamped board find it necessary to cut costs you don't just cop it sweet and say "fair enough".

Instead you have to take the game you love and potentially pile-drive it into the ground by pursuing money it doesn't have.
You may well have a grievance with some of the personalities running rugby league and you may be able to make this stand up in the Employment Court and win a payout.
But Lowie, is it the right thing to do to the game? The people with whom you have grievances are not the ones who will have to foot the bill if you win - it will be the grassroots of the game that will suffer.
Over the years, because of your success in rugby league and the heights you reached, the game has looked after you and you have been well paid.
Why is it that now - at the end of your incredible career - you feel it necessary to take a swing right between rugby league's legs with a pair of No. 12 boots?
The sport cannot afford to take that sort of punishment from you.
I'm pleased to admit that I got it wrong last week in tipping the Eels to beat the Warriors. I felt that without Steve Price and Wade McKinnon, the Warriors did not have a show against the form of the Eels, who had scored 28 unanswered points the previous week to dump the Bulldogs.
The Warriors proved they have developed the depth that might help them weather the storm for the eight weeks Price is out injured.
I thought they played well as a team. The young boys in the forwards stepped up and Jerome Ropati once again had a very good game. He's only 23 but already has 71 NRL games and four test matches behind him.
If he keeps progressing, I believe Ropati will become a real force for the Warriors. They will miss him if he is ruled out this weekend because of an ankle problem.
So, I'm going with my head again, rather than my heart. Manly are always tough at Brookvale Oval and, after losing the first two games of the season, they will be absolutely desperate to put on a good showing in front of their home fans.
I can only hope I'm wrong again.

Archangel2

Juniors
Ah talk about the pot calling the kettle black Deano!!!
Certain houses handed over, Bartercard dollars, none of this in NZRL accounts...ring any bells for you Deano?

sinbin

Juniors
No good looking at Lonergan, i'm looking at Lowie if this all stacks up to be true, what a rort.

Micistm

Bench
Quite frankly IMO neither can be overly proud with past deals, which is the story of RL in this country. If they love the game, TRUELY love it, they'll be calling for a total revamp to start again. It cannot succeed with the status quo, that has been proven time and again.
And 'unfair dismissal?!' I find that the biggest laugh of the lot. Quite frankly he was crap at his job anyway, but the fact of the matter is that his role was dissolved in regard to budget issues...something pretty damned obvious. He can blame many of his buddies for that.
Lowie IMHO has gone from hero to zero in the last few years, he just can't help himself. He was good, but I would certainly disagree that 'everything' he did was gold, unlike his mate Deano seems to think. He has got to the point where he is now bad for the game, and has the mindset now that the older he gets the better he was. Tragic really.
The fact that Deano is walking on eggshells shows how incestuous League still is, no one wants to get in and really rock the boat.

Archangel2

Juniors
Sinbin I will bring the rest of this sordid little tale to you over the next couple of weeks still getting to the bottom of all details on this one...then you decide. But Deano IMO NOT looking squeaky clean at all...Frankly I would have thougt he would have stayed out of this...more soon.

Latest posts