What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dean Widders sent home from training

Hindy Rulz

Juniors
Who is the first grade forward sent home from his team's first off-season training session after turning up 8kg overweight? It's not Mark Riddell. (The Sunday Telegraph, 9/11/03).

It was BIG Deano unfortunately. For a guy who has had constant struggles with his weight throughout his career you would think he would know better. Doesn't give off a very positive feeling if this is the way a guy off contract at year's end has "attacked" his off-season training. Did he look 8kg overweight against Penrith? I don't think so which means in the 2 months since Parra's year ended he has obviously done sweet fa.

Further to this story, his contract is now under review and BS has let all know that this year he is not taking ANY SHIT. Considering Parra stalled in renewing Dean's contract for this year, you would have expected him to turn up in a similar condition to that we witnessed at The World Sevens. Let's hope he is the only one who has turned up in this condition

The Colonel

Immortal
Funny story - amazing what you can do wehn you drop a word out! If I remember rightly it asked which Dragons first grade player was sent home from training 8kg overweight. Anyone confirm???

I like Deano as a player he is a real natural but the coach has to have discipline i the team. This shows me that the coach is commited to the team and that the team will be in for a hard year. just the way we like it.

half

Coach
there's no excuse

keeping fit is apart of your job as a footballer

and the tight parra jerseys looks so bad on fatties!

not to mention most of our new buys will be competing for his position on the team. you think he would've turned up fitter than ever with that in mind

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Why am i not surprised!!!, i can't believe this guy was actually resigned by the club, i say get rid of him, he won't be anywhere near first grade this year anyways.

The Colonel

Immortal
Again - I think if you have a look at the article you will find it mentions "who is the Dragons first grade forward" as opposed to first grade - someone spinning crap if you ask me!

Hindy Rulz

Juniors
I can confirm that you are wrong colonel. I have the article in my hand and unless I have a very unique copy of yesterday's paper, then everyone else should also be able to read their copy as saying "which first grade forward?" as opposed to which dragon's forward? I actually already had this info before reading the paper and doing so only confirmed this.

Freak

Juniors
Ron your a bit harsh!

Deano still has plenty to offer the Eels. Yes it is dissappointing to hear he has not looked after himself in the off season, however I'll be suprised if he does not get trim fairly quick.

Maybe Smith wanted to make an example of the commitment he is looking for this year, and Widders drew the short straw.

Anyway I think Deano is an important part to the success of our side. Remember he is one of only few forwards we could possibly use in the centres quite easily. Magic Step (maybe not so magic 8 kg's over the limit though :roll: )

Don't write him off yet Ron!!

The Colonel

Immortal
Muckert and Muspratt can be used in the centres and Hopkins started out on the wing with the Panthers. Widders is a good player at times but he can be inconsistent at times. I'd like to see him really get the weight down because he adds a lot off the bench!

parra_princess

Juniors
Well...Dean Widders you fool. The depth we now have in the forwards you would think would encourage each member of the team to do everything in their power to maintain the edge over other players competing for the same position. Whizz [-X your going to have a long loooong season if your gonna have that attitiude. I don't want the lethargic forwards representing Parra like in 02 and 03. I want lean mean hitting machines where the opposition are too scared to take hit ups. I don't want them targeting unfit overweight players. Carrrn dean get it together or you won't be part of the exciting season in stall for us. Congratulations to Brian Smith. I applaud his take no crap policy and look forward to the well disciplined eels of 2004.

El Diablo

Post Whore
How do we know that the extra 8kg was a bad thing?

He could quite easily be fit and weigh 8kg more than last season.

Nikki

Coach
I think thats a bit unfair. I mean he is only human and why shouldnt he be able to relax a bit whilst he is on vacation from work. I bet Hindy comes back with a bitta extra beef too but none of you will whinge about that!

Sterling

Juniors
Nikki said:
I think thats a bit unfair. I mean he is only human and why shouldnt he be able to relax a bit whilst he is on vacation from work. I bet Hindy comes back with a bitta extra beef too but none of you will whinge about that!

exactly!...my bro saw hindmarsh about a week ago and he looked like a fat slob!!...consistency Smith!..not favouratism ...AGAIN !!

Nikki

Coach
Nath does it every year. You see him at the off season function and you think "Gee, someones been hitting the grog" But the second round 1 rolls around he is looking sooo fit and fired up. Same with Deano, and he has never been a small guy so you cant expect him to stay trim.

Freak

Juniors
I think you will find that Smith may have told Deano before they broke up to stay fit and probably even suggested he attempt to lose some pounds.

I would be confident Deano knew what the story would have been.

Pazza

First Grade
Damn its the offseason people, cut the guy some slack, there is 123 days till the start of the season. That is plenty of time to get fit for the 2004 season. Deano is a great player and always add plenty of spark off the bench, i know we need go forward men but there needs to be a balance between hard men and attacking forwards. Cause when the team set the platform and makes the metres who is going to captialise on that if the whole team is just a bunch of go ugly guys?

Ron Jeremy

Coach
El Duque said:

Believe me as a person who prides himself on going to the gym & looking good there is no way in the world you can gain 8 kg of solid muscle in 2 months...it's fat, fat, fat!!!

I've been full on into body building for over 12 months now & i've probably put on 6 kg's of solid muscle...and that is a great result!!

Gaining 4-5 kgs in 2 months..you can turn a blind eye, but 8 kg in 2 months??...what the hell was he eating, i wan't some!!

El Diablo

Post Whore
Ron Jeremy said:
El Duque said:

Believe me as a person who prides himself on going to the gym & looking good there is no way in the world you can gain 8 kg of solid muscle in 2 months...it's fat, fat, fat!!!

I've been full on into body building for over 12 months now & i've probably put on 6 kg's of solid muscle...and that is a great result!!

Gaining 4-5 kgs in 2 months..you can turn a blind eye, but 8 kg in 2 months??...what the hell was he eating, i wan't some!!

But who said it was bad?

I'd asses on fitness and ability rather than actual weight.

After seeing how terrible Roy Jones Junior looked making weight to fight at Light Heavyweight who said looking trim, taut and terrific equates to being a good thing?

Latest posts