What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dean Young - Backrow

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Dean Young is so suited to the backrow. I hope they never put him at hooker again. He was awesome. He made that 1 error close to the line but he made up for it within minutes. Playing him at hooker all those years was wrong and should never have been done. A backrow of Scott, Creagh and Young is by far the best option for the Saints.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Dean Young is so suited to the backrow. I hope they never put him at hooker again. He was awesome. He made that 1 error close to the line but he made up for it within minutes. Playing him at hooker all those years was wrong and should never have been done. A backrow of Scott, Creagh and Young is by far the best option for the Saints.

If Young is still able, having they 3 playing 80 minutes would be a great advantage. Could stack the bench with props.

hardbaby

Coach
I have admired Young for many years, first as the son of Craig, and then as a player in his own right. I was stoked when he was selected for Origin.

The problem is that his knees are totally f**ked. He barely trained last year and can't back up. He will never play more than 50 minutes in a match. That will end of causing problems.

In fact, by the end of the year, I don't think he'll be in the 17 unless there is an injury. We will have a hooker, two props and one backrower on the bench. Creagh and Scott take 2 backrow positions. I think De Belin is the next big thing and will end up as a starting forward. So Prior and Young will fight out for one position. Prior is far more versatile, younger, bigger, faster and unlike Deano, he is very fit and can train.

The Nick

Bench
I have admired Young for many years, first as the son of Craig, and then as a player in his own right. I was stoked when he was selected for Origin.

The problem is that his knees are totally f**ked. He barely trained last year and can't back up. He will never play more than 50 minutes in a match. That will end of causing problems.

In fact, by the end of the year, I don't think he'll be in the 17 unless there is an injury. We will have a hooker, two props and one backrower on the bench. Creagh and Scott take 2 backrow positions. I think De Belin is the next big thing and will end up as a starting forward. So Prior and Young will fight out for one position. Prior is far more versatile, younger, bigger, faster and unlike Deano, he is very fit and can train.

You are deadset kidding yourself if you think Young will find himself out of the 17 (barring injury, of course). He is one of the leaders in the side and someone who the players love having in the trenches. There is absolutely no way he will be dropped.

Price is on the record stating he wants Young to continue playing for as long as he can.

Minh

First Grade
hardbaby made some very good points, but I think there is room for both Prior and Young I rate them both very highly.

Hoekstra

Juniors
The potential rise of De Belin could pose some selection headaches, but in the short term I see Scott holding his position in the centres regardless of last night's performance. Then there are injuries to consider as the season goes on.

I think that is one brilliant thing Price has done right off the bat is build overall team depth and competition for spots.

Just on Youngy, watching him play on TV does the man no justice. Its only when I watch him live that I can see how hard he runs the ball. Probably the hardest running forward IMO we have when on song and that’s saying something looking at the current back row roster.

hardbaby

Coach
Pretty safe to assume hardbaby has little to no idea.

Pretty safe to assume that you are a complete knob.

The Dragons have more competition in the pack than I have ever seen and some really talented players will miss out. I am suggesting that by the end of the year Dean Young's position will not be secure.

Young like Scott and Hornby played little in the pre-season so they where always going to be slightly off the pace.

Dean wheres the red v with pride you can see it on his face and the way he plays I could never see him in another jersey it just wouldn't be right.

Every one knows his knee's aren't the best but I wouldn't write him off sometimes it frustrates me seeing him jump into dh but thats because he wants to do the best he can for the side.

De Belin will be there abouts but ánd in time will be a regular starter but they don't want to rush him the Dragons have always been great that way into not rushing players to early and letting them mature.

possm

Coach
The only thing that really matters is how well you perform on the paddock. Give it a few rounds and it will be Young or Prior, King or Fien.

Last edited:

hardbaby

Coach
And that's the most exciting thing about this season. With Bennett at least 16 of the 17 positions were cemented in. Not the case this year. It's all about performance. The fact that we can speculate about Ah Mau, Young, Prior, Vidot, Fien etc not getting a spot is great.

dragonsman4eva

Juniors
I thought dean ran well last night,tackled well and did a solid job, better in the back row than hooker. I really don't understand the bagging, some people astound me.

TheRev

Coach
No point worrying about this, its a long season, and whether by injury or rotation, they will all get a chance to play for the Dragons in 2012.

You should be licking your lips that we are in a position to actually debate who our strongest 17 are!

dragonsman4eva

Juniors
Dean is a player that deserves to retire when he wants he has earnt the right i still think he has got good footy left in him

Breathingfire

Juniors
I can't see Dean Young getting dropped myself, nor should he. He was great last night. I also agree that we will see Scott in the centres again next week. I honestly don't think it matters who plays because they are all capable of doing a job when asked. The only issue I can see selection wise is Nathan Fien. I love the guy but the whole tempo of the game changes when he comes on the field. It is such a vital position that our whole structure and go forward just flies out the window.

Latest posts