What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dean Young Joins Cowboys on 3 year Deal

KogarahWarrior

Juniors
https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/09/25/young-joins-cowboys-on-three-year-deal/

Premiership winner Dean Young will join the North Queensland Toyota Cowboys as an Assistant Coach on a three-year deal from the 2021 season.

Young enjoyed an illustrious playing career including 209 games for the St George Illawarra Dragons and also represented NSW and Australia.

Following his retirement in 2012, Young immediately transitioned into coaching, taking the reins of the Illawarra Steelers SG Ball side in 2013 and the Dragons NYC outfit in 2014.

In 2015 Young was promoted to NRL Assistant at the Dragons where he remained until being named Dragons Interim Head Coach for the final six rounds of the 2020 season.

The 36-year-old has also been an assistant for Tonga and the Indigenous All Stars.

“Along with our incoming Head Coach Todd Payten, Dean’s appointment gives the club a fresh start and some clean air,” Cowboys Director of Football Peter Parr said.

“Dean had a long and successful career as a player, he won a premiership and played both Origin and International football and in our discussions with him he’s been impressive in the clarity he’s spoken with as well as what he believes he can bring to the Cowboys.

“Just as importantly, Todd is a believer in Dean’s coaching ability and we’re extremely excited to have two of the best young coaches in the game at our club.”

Bye mate

Dragon David

First Grade
I won't be surprised if Payten and Young form a good coaching combination at the Cowboys. Much better than Mary and Young I feel.

Wait until we play the Cowboys next year. They will be hard to beat given that their forwards are big guys and they have Holmes, Morgan, Drinkwater (who never stops) and Robson as their spine - not bad.

Young will be more than happy to be on the winning end of the game(s) we play against them. He will certainly know our player weaknesses.

possm

Coach
https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/09/25/young-joins-cowboys-on-three-year-deal/

Premiership winner Dean Young will join the North Queensland Toyota Cowboys as an Assistant Coach on a three-year deal from the 2021 season.

Young enjoyed an illustrious playing career including 209 games for the St George Illawarra Dragons and also represented NSW and Australia.

Following his retirement in 2012, Young immediately transitioned into coaching, taking the reins of the Illawarra Steelers SG Ball side in 2013 and the Dragons NYC outfit in 2014.

In 2015 Young was promoted to NRL Assistant at the Dragons where he remained until being named Dragons Interim Head Coach for the final six rounds of the 2020 season.

The 36-year-old has also been an assistant for Tonga and the Indigenous All Stars.

“Along with our incoming Head Coach Todd Payten, Dean’s appointment gives the club a fresh start and some clean air,” Cowboys Director of Football Peter Parr said.

“Dean had a long and successful career as a player, he won a premiership and played both Origin and International football and in our discussions with him he’s been impressive in the clarity he’s spoken with as well as what he believes he can bring to the Cowboys.

“Just as importantly, Todd is a believer in Dean’s coaching ability and we’re extremely excited to have two of the best young coaches in the game at our club.”

Bye mate
Great news, thousands of ks away from SGI. Surely Craig will follow him up their to enjoy the sunshine, visit the rainforests and fish the local barrier reef and huge fishing grounds.

I once owned an investment house in Townsville, it produced very good returns.

Walpole

Juniors
I like how they start the story with "premiership winner", which has absolutely nothing to do with his coaching ability. Anyway, good luck to him, standing on his own two feet and all that. Interesting he'd spit the dummy because he didn't get the Dragons top job but has gone to Townsville for the same role he was offered with us.

hazzbeen

Bench
So it is rumoured that Mary is going to the Warriors to help Brown and we know DY is going to Townsville, what was this bleeding rec and white all about? At the time probably the only semblance of qualification the BOD could rest their hat on.
He thought he was going to get the full time coaching job .... nose out of joint, hopefully daddy follows ..... Me personally have had enough of ex players in the joint ....

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Good luck to him, he’s doing the right thing we shouldn’t blast him. He’s doing what Mary should have done. Spreading his wings. I wouldn’t judge him on this last few weeks. After the jubilation of that Parra game and seeing off Mary I don’t think they had anything left. That would have been like winning ten GFs getting that monkey off the back.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Certainly confirms the reason behind the dreadful display against Newcastle. Stand-in coach already moving on, didn't care and players backed that up on the field.

Hopefully there'll be a more professional approach this Sunday. But not holding my breath.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Best wishes to the man and I do hope that he matures as a coach .

So now the decks have been cleared for Griffin to bring in his own team . I do sincerely hope that the J.V. board allow him to the job at hand , without shackling him to their own wishes .
Mate I dont think Hook is the shackling type....a hard head on old shoulders

Latest posts