What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dean Young Joins Cowboys on 3 year Deal

Dragon Revival

Juniors
It is good that Young joined North Queensland which is far from Sydney. What were his strengths as a coach? The forwards were poor and the defence was poor and the attack disorganised and only existent with brilliant individual forays by Dufty, Lomax or Widdop. Young seemed more like a team manager than an astute coach.

Gareth67

First Grade
Mate I dont think Hook is the shackling type....a hard head on old shoulders

Nor do I BSE’s , he is the ‘ what you see is what you get - warts and all ‘ type of individual exactly what the struggling Dragons require .

My main concern with the board itself was that he may be restricted in just who he wishes to sign on either as an assistant or even a player. I just hope that they open the wallet wider for him .

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Good luck for Deano and a good result for him.

More interesting for me is the 3yr deal which sort of dispells any earlyreturn to our ranks. Add to this, is that Griffin us only signed for 2yrs with an option.

It maybe a long time before we see Deano in our coaching ranks again (if ever).

TruSaint

Referee
I agree. Learning his trade under a rookie coach who does show potential.
Says a lot about his time under Mary really... wasted!
Big risk for the Cowboys but good luck to him.
I hope Hannay stays on board as well as an assistant. I like the way he conducts himself.

Yeah, it seems odd for the Cows.
I like their head coach but as you say... a rookie.

possm

Coach
Nor do I BSE’s , he is the ‘ what you see is what you get - warts and all ‘ type of individual exactly what the struggling Dragons require .

My main concern with the board itself was that he may be restricted in just who he wishes to sign on either as an assistant or even a player. I just hope that they open the wallet wider for him .
The football department just need a budget, 3rd party sponsors and a clean slate for Griffin to weave his magic.

cussy

Juniors
Certainly a good move for DY and The Dragons.I wish him luck and hope he does well but I imagine most Dragon supporters would agree we dodged a bullet by not appointing him head coach of our NRL team.
Next dragons coach will be either Hornby or Young. And I’m happy with that- both experiencing different systems. Hornby specially under 2 good coaches

possm

Coach
Certainly a good move for DY and The Dragons.I wish him luck and hope he does well but I imagine most Dragon supporters would agree we dodged a bullet by not appointing him head coach of our NRL team.
What's in common with the following coaching staff:
Barrett - Canterbury
Young - Cowboys bound
Brown - Warriors
Mary - Warriors bound
JD - Souths
Holbrook - Titans
Fitzgibbon - Easts
Riles - Melbourne
Hornby - Souths

BLM01

First Grade
Barrett - Canterbury
Young - Cowboys bound
Brown - Warriors
Mary - Warriors bound
JD - Souths
Holbrook - Titans
Fitzgibbon - Easts
Riles - Melbourne
Hornby - Souths
Let me guess
Dragon players recruited by Millward
PS.. missed the Mary to Warriors announcement :thinking:

Last edited:

Mjab

Juniors
Good luck to him
I respected him as a player

in reality done nothing as a coach , let’s be honest , if anything he has been a hideous coach on par with Mary

why would any team sign an assistant with DY resume to a 3 year deal ?

I thought Payton was a good pick up for them as he impressed me at Warriors

But signing Deano 3 years sounds crazy should be 2 years max for any assistant with team KPIs for retention if u ask me , but hey I’m not some slimy agent Who talks shit and cons f wits to sign coaches and players to ludicrous contracts

watatank

Coach
Never really heard of assistant coaches announcing the length of deal, contract status is just something you find out later when it comes to possibly leaving for head coach positions

Dea

Juniors
As the article states, good player. I wish him well. As a coach though, I haven’t seen anything to make me sorry he is leaving. Actually, I’m glad he is going and the old boys group is being broken down. I’d like to see Milward go as well to have a full clean out. He is responsible for our roster and should be held accountable for the mess it is in.

Coffs dragon

Bench
Barrett - Canterbury
Young - Cowboys bound
Brown - Warriors
Mary - Warriors bound
JD - Souths
Holbrook - Titans
Fitzgibbon - Easts
Riles - Melbourne
Hornby - Souths
None of them will beat Mary in thread comments for possible Sacking on this Forum site.

Latest posts