What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dean Young

citizen

Juniors
A losing environment against The knights who are entrenched in the 8 and against arguably the competition favourite in the storm.
Not to mention most of them haven’t played a game all year.

What good is it blooding a host of youngsters where they will be purely cannon fodder for the opposition.

I'm Hornby

Juniors
A losing environment against The knights who are entrenched in the 8 and against arguably the competition favourite in the storm.
Not to mention most of them haven’t played a game all year.

What good is it blooding a host of youngsters where they will be purely cannon fodder for the opposition.

I'd like to think some of our young blokes after watching the last few performances would be thinking "f this, I could do better than these blokes".

Ramsey looked like he belongs in first grade today and I'm sure that will help the belief of anyone else who could be in line to get a crack.

We want juniors to go out there with some self belief that they're good enough, sheltering them from a debut doesn't send the right message to them and neither does our mate Deano telling Ramsey "I dont expect the world from you" when he told him he was making his debut.

citizen

Juniors
I'd like to think some of our young blokes after watching the last few performances would be thinking "f this, I could do better than these blokes".

Ramsey looked like he belongs in first grade today and I'm sure that will help the belief of anyone else who could be in line to get a crack.

We want juniors to go out there with some self belief that they're good enough, sheltering them from a debut doesn't send the right message to them and neither does our mate Deano telling Ramsey "I dont expect the world from you" when he told him he was making his debut.

I have to admit seeing Ramsey debut was the first time I’ve been excited to watch a dragons game all year.

The fact we have only seen 2 debuts this year in our current predicament shows how badly The handling of our juniors have been.

The way Sullivan hugged Cody after his first try leaves me with a lot of hope moving forward. It looks like the youngsters have a camaraderie that we haven’t seen in the dragons for a number of seasons.

I guess I’m just over the current regime like everybody else and I don’t want the taint to be associated with the promise of the new era.

thebigredv

First Grade
This time last year we were the worst team going around. McGregor had us underperforming again this year after the promise of improvement and apparent 'shame' of players and coaches.

Since Young has taken control we look like the worst team going round again. Yes I watched the Bulldogs last few games and I've been watching the Broncos matches. We are the most feeble and embarrassing, just pipping Broncos. We've avoided the spoon both seasons at least.

Now I didn't expect Young to turn us around but the rot is too deep at our club. A major overhaul needs to happen with Griffin.

St Georgio

Juniors
This time last year we were the worst team going around. McGregor had us underperforming again this year after the promise of improvement and apparent 'shame' of players and coaches.

Since Young has taken control we look like the worst team going round again. Yes I watched the Bulldogs last few games and I've been watching the Broncos matches. We are the most feeble and embarrassing, just pipping Broncos. We've avoided the spoon both seasons at least.

Now I didn't expect Young to turn us around but the rot is too deep at our club. A major overhaul needs to happen with Griffin.

I really believe Hook needs to assemble a new group of assistants and support staff for next year. Dean Young is an old voice around the joint that just doesn’t seem to have the desired effect on the teams woeful defence.
I would be pleased to see Hook resume his partnership with Garth Brennan from their successful Panthers days winning lower grade premierships and developing juniors.

He’s out of work since Titans sacked him as a head coach & maybe can slip back in the old role of Hook’s assistant. He has the runs on the board winning a NYC & NSW Cup with the Panthers before being promoted to NRL assistant.
Much better results and apprenticeship that poor Deano.
THIS BY COFFS ABOVE.

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
No, I just don’t get why “supporters” feel the need to bag players who have given their all when wearing the red v & achieved everything in the game.

It’s honestly baffling.

Regardless if it was one game for Australia or one hundred, he made the honour of representing at the highest level.
I never bagged him I simply said he was just above average and you got your bra all twisted.

You think he was lot better than many others good for you but that doesn't entitle you to have the moral high ground which you seem to want to take.

Oh how dare anybody say anything but effusive comments about DY's ability on the paddock well I hate to tell you I am not on my own re DY's actual ability.

Old Timer

Coach
According to all reports DY interviewed strongly for the HC job and he was surprised as were some of the press pundits that he didn't get the nod ahead of some bloke that coaches at around 55% win ratio.

It is widely rumoured that DY is in hot demand as an assistant coach and that we need to move quickly to secure his signature.

I am led to believe that our BOD have learnt from previous hastily conducted reviews on coaching staff and evidently
DY was having a live interview lasting about 2 hours for the assistant HC position with our club at 3 pm today.

Does anybody have any news how that interview went for him?

Dragon David

First Grade
According to all reports DY interviewed strongly for the HC job and he was surprised as were some of the press pundits that he didn't get the nod ahead of some bloke that coaches at around 55% win ratio.

It is widely rumoured that DY is in hot demand as an assistant coach and that we need to move quickly to secure his signature.

I am led to believe that our BOD have learnt from previous hastily conducted reviews on coaching staff and evidently
DY was having a live interview lasting about 2 hours for the assistant HC position with our club at 3 pm today.

Does anybody have any news how that interview went for him?
Wasn't Dean Young in the coaches box at 3.00pm today or was that a figment of my imagination seeing him with Flano?

The fact that DY thought he was the right man for the job at this point is a massive red light for me.

If he could see the big picture, he wouldn't have applied for the job. All he has is 7 years of crap mentoring.

Craig Fitz's stocks have gone up by showing patience and good judgement, Young's have gone through the floor.

I’m actually sick already of Dean Young calling out the players at the last three press conferences.
Maybe next week he should call himself out because whatever he is coaching and the messages he is communication, they obviously aren’t getting through.
If it’s two or three players letting the team down that’s different however when it’s 16 players that means the messages and game plans are shit, that accountability is on the Coach.

St Georgio

Juniors
I’m actually sick already of Dean Young calling out the players at the last three press conferences.
Maybe next week he should call himself out because whatever he is coaching and the messages he is communication, they obviously aren’t getting through.
If it’s two or three players letting the team down that’s different however when it’s 16 players that means the messages and game plans are shit, that accountability is on the Coach.
I actually think the players have clock off for the year, they know DY won't be coach, they know they won't be playing finals footy, my only acceptable excuse is self preservation full a tough gruelling off season training under hook.
The Last and final year playing with their old fellas and the successful beginnings when the new staff take over.

Dragon David

First Grade
I actually think the players have clock off for the year, they know DY won't be coach, they know they won't be playing finals footy, my only acceptable excuse is self preservation full a tough gruelling off season training under hook.
The Last and final year playing with their old fellas and the successful beginnings when the new staff take over.
Not only has the coach not been giving good instructions and a workable game plan, the players themselves have clocked off for sure. The thing is though, by clocking off it shows a lack of pride in the Red V jumper they were wearing and Hook could see who the main culprits are which he will be able to address when he takes over.

It is a bloody problem when you still have an interim coach on board and the new one is waiting in the wings. The only interim this year that has shown promise and has been rewarded is Todd Payten and I can envisage him being able to get the Cowboys to play well.

Only 2 more games of the old school in charge to go (except for Flanagan and Shepherd who have been shown the door anyway). Then it will be new lessons to be learnt and taught by someone with more experience.

It is not worth going over our performances now so just relax just as the Calm One says and wait until next year.

Mjab

Juniors
I will just have a guess and suggest what @citizen was saying is that blooding youngsters now in such a downward spiral, may in fact work against them.

Overall I agree that we should have given chances to juniors this year. Its the timing that I think may deflate them if things go sour.
Fully understand the point u and others are making and agree to a degree

successful clubs get the benefit of blooding in a winning team environment and senior players protecting them , Bringing them on slowly

Yes they may loose confidence but the season is over and they will get a break then to refocus and gain confidence in the off season under a new coach and system , thank god

the upside is the excitement their debut brings to themselves , family and us fans just like yesterday
Got smashed but Cody did well
He had a great day , I’m sure wouldn’t have swapped it for the world
We also now know he will likely be OK for first grade next year at some stage
He gets a taste of what it’s like , how tough and what he needs to do to improve his game
They get off season to get over any trauma if there is any
I’m sure it’s more disappointing not to get a run at all!

win win To play these kids

You can see with him and others at other clubs , how excited they are to get there debut and chance

WTF do we still have turnstile in
A disgrace
Give Blacker a go FFS , can’t be any worse than what I saw yesterday

Latest posts