What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dear Ben, time to sign the contract

1st of November is only 4 weeks away.

I understand that your career is nearing its end.

You need to maximise your income stream before you stop playing.

As you can appreciate your employer needs certainty.

If the media can be believed you have received an upgraded offer.

Take it and mentor the younger players.

The board of directors should politely advise you that the offer is open for 7 days failing which the offer is withdrawn.

You played very well this year in an ordinary/mediocre side.

Take the offer Ben and perform.

possm

Coach

The board of directors should politely advise you that the offer is open for 7 days failing which the offer is withdrawn.

Unless the Dragons get rid of Hunt, it seems we won't have the money to buy the players we need. So in my opinion, we should move on and beef up our forwards with first-grade players; prop, hooker and edge forward.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade

And further ....you've been handsomely paid by the club during your time with us, at times more than the role warranted imo.... its now time to accept whatever the offer is, move into the hooking role (a position that we wont have to fork out money for) and lets concentrate on retaining and developing positions in the side ....no one has questioned your contribution and effort on most occassions but its time to settle the issue or move on

dragon thomo

Juniors
I don't want him to sign the contract.
After watching the grand final it shows we need to start over again.
That starts with letting Hunt go after next season.
We can't afford to spend top money on a player in his mid thirties.
Sullivan may not be the answer but we need to give him a red hot go with the support of Hunt for 12 mths to find out.

Qdf

Juniors
Forwards win games & the backs simply decide by how much!
We can’t compete with the current forwards we have, so overpaying Ben Hunt seems a waste.
Shane Flanagan needs to pull his finger out & start building with some tough hard arsed buggers up front.
Good idea. Let "Bud"ease into the halfback roll next year.
At the same time let Greedy little Hunt ease out.
No Hunt in 2024.

Illusion

Bench
Let him go he isn't going to be the future of the Dragons that time has gone ..... and if he wants to go now then goodbye ...... He lost me when he had in his contract that Hook stays on ..... All I'm seeing is this no mention of Flanno to take over from Hook , the board are setting up the return of G. YOUNG ......

denis preston

First Grade
If Hunt doesn't accept what is a very generous offer from St George then he has to be moved to the forwards to 9 for 2023 and move Sullivan into 7 under his guidance...surely thats the only way forward for the club in 2023 and beyond. If he pikes it at 9 then theres a spot in reggies waiting for him.
If he refuses to play 9 then you could dismiss him with no back payments. His contract surely wouldn't have a 7 only clause in it surely.

Gareth67

First Grade
Agree that the man has leached enough money from the Dragons over his 5 year contract . Whether or not he has earned it is another matter . The last 2 seasons yes , however the previous 2 I would say no .

If he resigns then this will be tremendous news - at least according to our hierarchy , but in reality Ben can win the man of the match award every week , but he will not take us into the semifinals- the Dragons need some hard running forwards to do that .

He has our offer and there really isn’t anything to think about so I would give the bloke 24 hours - take it or leave it .
If he wishes to move elsewhere fine , our young halves will then move in to the top grade .

Then our recruitment will also have some money to use for quality , young forwards .

Last edited:

denis preston

First Grade
Agree that the man has leached enough money from the Dragons over his 5 year contract . Whether or not he has earned it is another matter . The last 2 seasons yes , however the previous 2 I would say no .

If he resigns then this will be tremendous news - at least according to our hierarchy , but in reality the man can win the man of the match award every week , but he will not take us into the semifinals- the Dragons need some hard running forwards to do that .

He has our offer and there really isn’t anything to think about so I would give the bloke 24 hours - take it or leave.
If he wishes to move elsewhere fine , our young halves will then move in to the top grade .

Then our recruitment will also have some money to use for quality , young forwards .
Dont give him 24 hours, just withdraw the offer. Next years a write off anyhow so a bit sink or swim with Bud but he will eventually get used to NRL pressures. We DESPERATELY need a couple of front rowers and at least one backrower and we are years off any pathways forward coming through.

Maddragon99

Juniors

For mine, unless the master plan is to play Hunt at 9 from ‘24 onwards I’d prefer to spend his big money on an elite forward like Fifita or Haas.

If dummy half is good enough for State & Country surely it’s good enough for Club.

dungay dragon

Juniors
Absolutely f#cking beautiful summation of rugby league in a single sentence, eloquent in its simplicity.
Well played, sir.
Thinking tomorrow is D Day for Hunt .
The squad for the World Cup i believe fly out on Thursday , so any decision on his future would have to be made prior..
You dont want this dragging on . If there is no confirmation by mid night tomorrow i would be withdrawing the offer
Time to move on and pin our hopes on our youngsters who have been banging down the door for some time