What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dear Ben, time to sign the contract

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Yes, It's a pretty convincing argument for the fact that they are all overpaid. It's all a bit ridiculous IMO. In fact, If Ben was my mate, I'd ask him to tie his contract to me playing hooker - I'm only 65 and only one knee is a bit sore occasionally. I reckon I'd be worth about $500k a year.
Only $500k? Hire that man!

getsmarty

Immortal
Understand your point & you are correct but remember even with Hunt having a blinder we comfortably missed the 8. So what’s going to change having so much cap tied up with Hunt until 2025? Letting him go would have allowed us to invest in a top tier prop plus keeping Sullivan.

Lets see how things play out...Letting our best player go would be a big gamble...in saying that sulli is a must keep... I know who I'd be removing and its not either of them.

Lindsay Moss

Juniors
This was predictable of course which makes what happens next very interesting. Saints are holding all of the aces. Sullivan and Hunt both contracted for another 3 years. Sullivan not on massive dollars. Management's job is win a comp and we are stronger with both players in the squad. So why on earth would they let him go? Even with the quality of our management team I can't see him being allowed to leave. Especially after they stared Sloan down a week ago.
I wonder if the club or coach had the foresight to talk to sullivan on the resigning of hunt to gauge his reaction of being behind him for another three years instead of one as when he signed his last contract he seamed okay about waiting till the end of 23. If not it shows a large amount of stupidity on the clubs part.

BLM01

First Grade
I wonder if the club or coach had the foresight to talk to sullivan on the resigning of hunt to gauge his reaction of being behind him for another three years instead of one as when he signed his last contract he seamed okay about waiting till the end of 23. If not it shows a large amount of stupidity on the clubs part.
I am sure they have

Souths let Reynolds go - as good a career as he had there - trusted in Ilias and still wound up 80 minutes away from a GF. This is cos they have recruited well in all areas, have a dominant pack of forwards and play good, expansive attacking football.
Given that Saints have just done the exact opposite, I'm predicting that we might just finish 80 minutes away from a wooden spoon.
The Board, imo, need a kick up their collective ar$e and B Hunt can lie on a bed of $750K plus and f#ck himself on it.
Having just said that... when I was a kid my favourite player was Mark Shulman. Shulman was third on the list behind Billy Smith and Ross Strudwick. One was a legend, the other a more than handy half. In the modern era, Shulman would have had a big sulk and slunk off to another club to play firsts. In reality, the guy stayed until he got the top job and would have kept going if it hadn't been for a Parramatta grub who liked to use his knees.
Sullivan is a good player, but nothing he has done has shown me that is in the Billy Smith, Ross Strudwick or Mark Shulman class. Maybe he's not even a first grade half. So he needs to cool his jets and play his ar$e off in KoE to show everyone that he is. Instead of slinking off to the Dogs.

Last edited:

True_Believer

Juniors
Souths let Reynolds go - as good a career as he had there - trusted in Ilias and still wound up 80 minutes away from a GF. This is cos they have recruited well in all areas, have a dominant pack of forwards and play good, expansive attacking football.
Given that Saints have just done the exact opposite, I'm predicting that we might just finish 80 minutes away from a wooden spoon.
The Board, imo, need a kick up their collective ar$e and B Hunt can lie on a bed of $750K plus and f#ck himself on it.
The difference with Souths is that you've got Walker, Cook and Mitchell making up the rest of the spine supporting Illias. If we throw Sullivan in and move Hunt to hooker you've got one experienced player in the spine trying to support essentially 3 rookies. It's not going to work.

mickeylane

Bench
If your Sullivan and your sitting on your couch tonite thinking of your future he’d be thinking .,
Hunt at 7 for next 3 years
Liddle at 9 for at least next 12 mnths
I won’t be a 14 so at best I’m a back up half and potentially a back up 9.. my coach is Hook and learning f**k all !

If I go to the Bulldogs I’m possibly the starting 7 w Kyle Flanagan as my competition…I’m coached by Ciraldo and my 5/8 is Burton ….hmmm let me think …
f**k it Bulldogs here I come!

Maddragon99

Juniors
Having just said that... when I was a kid my favourite player was Mark Shulman. Shulman was third on the list behind Billy Smith and Ross Strudwick. One was a legend, the other a more than handy half. In the modern era, Shulman would have had a big sulk and slunk off to another club to play firsts. In reality, the guy stayed until he got the top job and would have kept going if it hadn't been for a Parramatta grub who liked to use his knees.
Sullivan is a good player, but nothing he has done has shown me that is in the Billy Smith, Ross Strudwick or Mark Shulman class. Maybe he's not even a first grade half. So he needs to cool his jets and play his ar$e off in KoE to show everyone that he is. Instead of slinking off to the Dogs.
That’s all true but you have to remember that back in those days the St George Club & brand was strong enough to keep players.

Since Bennett left in 2011 we’ve been a disorganised rabble often having to pay overs to attract players. The Corey Norman contact is a perfect example.

A rugby league player is always only one awkward tackle away from serious injury so I wouldn’t blame any player from seeking a better opportunity to maximise their career.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
1st of November is only 4 weeks away.

I understand that your career is nearing its end.

You need to maximise your income stream before you stop playing.

As you can appreciate your employer needs certainty.

If the media can be believed you have received an upgraded offer.

Take it and mentor the younger players.

The board of directors should politely advise you that the offer is open for 7 days failing which the offer is withdrawn.

You played very well this year in an ordinary/mediocre side.

Take the offer Ben and perform.
Nice one.

Now you’ve just lost us the most talented south coast junior since Trent Barrett.

If your Sullivan and your sitting on your couch tonite thinking of your future he’d be thinking .,
Hunt at 7 for next 3 years
Liddle at 9 for at least next 12 mnths
I won’t be a 14 so at best I’m a back up half and potentially a back up 9.. my coach is Hook and learning f**k all !

If I go to the Bulldogs I’m possibly the starting 7 w Kyle Flanagan as my competition…I’m coached by Ciraldo and my 5/8 is Burton ….hmmm let me think …
f**k it Bulldogs here I come!
And if his release request is denied, all that thinking time is wasted time.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
McCullough & Liddle are both signed for 2023 so you can only assume Sullivan will complete his apprenticeship next year then take over the 7 jersey in 2024 with Hunt moving to dummy half in 2024.
That would make sense and if the Dragons were well managed they would have ensured Sullivan was openly consulted and had bought into this plan well before they finalised thr Hunt resigning. They cleatly did not and now Gould and co are moving in to snatch one of our big hopes for the future. The problem lies between the ears of our maagement and obviously BOD.

Mojo

Bench
That would make sense and if the Dragons were well managed they would have ensured Sullivan was openly consulted and had bought into this plan well before they finalised thr Hunt resigning. They cleatly did not and now Gould and co are moving in to snatch one of our big hopes for the future. The problem lies between the ears of our maagement and obviously BOD.
I’m hearing you, but do we actually know that the club “clearly did not?”

SnowDragon

Juniors
The difference with Souths is that you've got Walker, Cook and Mitchell making up the rest of the spine supporting Illias. If we throw Sullivan in and move Hunt to hooker you've got one experienced player in the spine trying to support essentially 3 rookies. It's not going to work.

yes. It is true.
1) Ramsey, Amone, Sullivan , Hunt
but the alternatives are?
2) Ramsey, Amone , Hunt, liddle
3) Ramsey, Amone, Sullivan, Macca
or…
are they really better. Macca is more experienced yes… but
liddle Is more experienced but…

Latest posts