What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dear Raiders...

edabomb

First Grade
I think the backs all did pretty well tonight. Vidot did work, as did Croker. No doubt Thompson and Fensom were standouts though, with fensom starting to make metres i didnt think he'd be able too. Dugan had an off night, and the halves should be shot out of a cannon. Seriously, if this club does not try and sign a halfback option for the remainder of this year they are kidding themselves. Give Scotty Porter or Liam Foran a call, see if they want a game in first grade. Alternatively, give Jason Smith or Andrew Dunemann a call and see if they are prepared to lace on the boots again... it cant get any worse in this facet of the game.

I thought Croker was dead set average. Deserves a spell at Souths Logan on recent form. If Carney is in anywhere near the shape he was pre injury he should be there.

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
Fair enough on Croker. I guess he might still be there based on last seasons form. Can you really say that our backs were gifted that much room out there tonight? If Croker were to be dropped, I'd prefer someone other than Monoghan to centre. I'd love to see Vidot given a chance at centre, although might not be comfortable on that side. Also Low and Carney could both step up I guess.

Timbo

Staff member
I share the original posts sentiments by and large, but I've just lost the will to rant.

To paraphrase Gary Freeman in the post game show, a side with a decent halfback wins by 50. We were a deadset rudderless ship and this insane perserverence with McCrone and Mogg is sending us deeper and deeper into the mire.

I want to be positive. I just see very little to be positive about.

I dont think Ive seen a team so comprehensively dominate filed position and have so much forward dominance all for farkall.

So its our forwards that arent the problem, clearly. Individually, our outside backs are very talented and, perhaps bar croker, who looks a touch out of form, at least compared to last year, don't look to be the problem.

So it has to be out halves. Yes, campo does look very out of sorts lately. He does need to lift his game. However he is so far from his natural game its not funny. RUN THE f**kING BALL!!

Blind freddy can see that the missing ingredient is a halfback. We are trying to polish a turd if we believe mccrone is the future. I dont blame furner for giving mogg a shot, we must try something.

It is time to do something drastic by blooding, shock horror, an ACTUAL HALFBACK! someone that can distrubute the ball quickly and effectively.

Sam Williams in please. I dont care if he is "not ready" yet. No one in our squad is 'ready'. Better an actual HB be 'not ready' than someone else.

Noa

First Grade
Joe Williams plays down the road, even he would do a much better job then your current nuffies. Having seen a fair bit of Liam Foran I dont know why he hasnt got a chance somewhere yet.

d-a-z-z-a

Juniors
Sometimes i really wonder why i bother to watch the Raiders every week, without a doubt they are th emost frustrating team in the NRL to follow.

I dont think anyone can honsetly say the Raiders players dont go out onto the field and try their hardest. They are professional athletes and give it there all each and every week.

It may just be a guess but it seems we have never grown up. We are still stuck in the 90's with our management style, our coaching style.. even take a look at our leagues club. I really think the Raiders have never modernised and its so hard to see any of these factors changing.

The Raiders defeinately have a top 8 side based on player talent, we have sooo much raw talent in our squad it just seems each player plays on his own and there is little to no synergy created in our team. We look the exact opposite of fluid (not sure the right word.. could probabaly have used an expletive). Our set pieces are soooooo one dimensional!!! every time we get up the other end its one of two choices bomb to monaghan or spread wide with a few not so disguised decoy runners and passses out wide by campese. You can see how easily we can control field position as it is simple for forward to run upfield and players to run from dummy half, but the hard stuff is to break a goal line defensive line.. we seem so inept at doing so.

To me it seems the Raiders just do not gel as a team consistantly and our options in attack are so weak!!! maybe its our halfback, maybe its our coach, maybe its our management... but for f****s sake something has to change at our club its been so S*** for so many years and what excuse do we have? The last time the Raiders did anything good was during a huge injury crisis and under a coach with a solid coaching brain (Neil Henry). I'm just getting more frustrated typing this, and it seems every week i feel less and less keen to sit through another Raiders horror show.

I wish our problems were with our players as it is so simple to change them, but i think it is pretty clear the problems are with the coach... or even run deeper into our management system and board of directors.

The old saying "a good tradesman never blames his tools" seems rather true in our case..it seems our team of tools are being organised by men who have no F***ING idea what so ever.

dreaming 09

Juniors
After the dogs scored their third try, this is when the raiders started to take the game seriously.

When the raiders run out on the field, this is when they need to take control of the game. Straight up, until they learn that we are going to have more heartache.

Y_R

Juniors
We look like a rudderless ship with no captain, no GPS, no compass and no map.
Coach is terrible, doesnt even look like he's improving..... fortress Bruce is no longer what it used to be. Furner you are a nice guy, stick to coaching the fowards and let someone else have a go.

Fair enough on Croker. I guess he might still be there based on last seasons form. Can you really say that our backs were gifted that much room out there tonight? If Croker were to be dropped, I'd prefer someone other than Monoghan to centre. I'd love to see Vidot given a chance at centre, although might not be comfortable on that side. Also Low and Carney could both step up I guess.

I was wondering when I was watching when was the last time Monaghan actually beat anyone (other than in a bombaghan play)?

typicalfan

Coach
Jarrod Croker looks injured. Furner referred to not having the full side on deck at training and I get the feeling he was refering to Croker and Dugan in particular. Give Croker a week or two to shake off the niggle and bring in Milne on the wing.

All the Raiders need is a halfback that can control the kicking game they don't need a Thurston/Prince style half. Guys like Porter and Dobson for example have a kicking game and not much else which is fine because Campese should be doing all the running and x-factor stuff.

Picking a rookie coach to mould rookies together was a mistake waiting to happen as well.

d-a-z-z-a

Juniors
Picking a rookie coach to mould rookies together was a mistake waiting to happen as well.
Completely agree with your thoughts, if we had an experienced developed squad then a rookie coach could maybe bring some new enthusiasm and ideas and renew the team and possibly develop. but how the %&^%&^ can a rookie coach mould a team of talent into a cohesive unit. its stupid!!! and the enevitable result will be mistakes and inconsistancy. sound familiar?

typicalfan

Coach
Yep, looks like the Cowboys inept roster is pushing out Henry as well. Maybe time to repair some old bridges.

Latest posts