What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Depth in Squad

Stake Removed

First Grade
With a good start we have had in firsts and the lowers looking good as well, just noticed the depth we have with Fitzy and the boys

Taking out the 21 announced this week in depth

Graham/Tracey/Ikavalu still injured from 1sts

Jets
Miller - playing well and could fit that utilty role
Taumoepeau/Lualua/Iro - youngsters doing well and each week one of them in the 24
Hiroti - Back from injury has 20 game 1st experience if needed
Metcalf - On all reports killing it in halves
Hazelton/Hunt/Pele/Williams/Colqhuon - All doing well in Jets and can step up if needed
Then you have Slade flegg captain last year playing hooker/backrow, Rennie who apparently Matterson said is killing it playing fullgame in back row

Flegg team
Dykes, Samrani, Stonestreet,Rivett, Martin, Finau - the next group of players who trained with First grade

Ball team
Taukamo - this is fullback we signed with big wraps
Brailey - Hooker

It can sound fluffy, but we have great immediate depth, and depth coming through for next 3-5 years, we could be looking at era where we are genuine contendors for years going forward

Everyone including Dino would need to be injured for me to want to see Hiroti in the team.
I had similar opinion about Kennedy a year ago. Hiroti for my admittedly limited knowledge seems Strong, Trains well, makes some mistakes ... The coaching/training staff have stuck with him so must see something there . He's certainly not a ... "get the razors out they've picked Hiroti ,type of Player." I think the occasion might get to him. Last thing I remember him doing was snotting an opponent that was going to make a break . Dont think it was even his fault to be desparate.in defense. Wouldnt mind seeing how he goes in the More structured defence these days.

Last edited:

Stake Removed

First Grade
What I like when I looked at our depth, was how deep it went, and also have young players coming through the club has earmarked.
Yes they all might not aim up, and someone will surprise eg Colquhoun in trials I don't think any of us had wraps on him

Weaponhead

Coach
I think we may be getting a touch ahead of ourselves in getting too giddy about the depth in the squad. It's 3 rounds in and there haven't been major, long term injuries yet.

The lack of lower grade and junior rep footy has slowed the development of some. For example, Jensen had big wraps but doesn't seem close to a call up to NRL. If he was seen to be ready then there are chances to be picked.

There is good depth in the middle forwards with Hunt, Pele and Williams all outside the 17 at present but outside backs is definitely going to be tested.

shadowboxer

First Grade
As a child, a fluff was commonly known as a fart.
This place has become a giant fart-athon
I look forward to Friday night, we win I’ll be happy….we lose, I’ll get to roll in late after a few great northern swillers, read the game day forum for some normality

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
I was pretty skeptical about Ikuvalu but I have been very impressed with his performances. He's already climbed a few rungs above Hiroti although I still think he showed reasonable improvement last year.
Reckon I'm a few rungs above Hiroti tbh. Isn't Ikavalu out for 4-6 weeks though?