What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Des Hasler; Coach of the Year

ReddFelon

Juniors
Trent Barrett did just about everything he could to ruin the Sea Eagles; bitching about gym equipment, having a total lack of control over player behaviour, having some of the worst possible game plans and eroding the Manly culture that underpinned the entire concept of the Sea Eagles in the space of three years.

Last year we were 15th on the ladder. Des Hasler came into the year with a cloud over his head, some still blaming him for the Bulldogs failures (despite taking them to the finals every year bar one). Many joked that Manly with cap restrictions and having minimal player depth would lead us to our first wooden spoon in the history of our great club.

Now we're a game away from the top 4 with the potential for a top 4 finish on the cards if we continue well throughout the season. Has there even been such a massive turn around in Rugby League where the only real change in personnel has been the coach?

KOMORI

Juniors
Dessie has done an amazing job with more or less the same team that Zoolander coached to within an inch of our first ever wooden spoon.

I’ll admit to being well pissed after the events of 2011, and for a very long time was happy that he was gone. I’ll also admit to being being in two minds when he returned: yes, his coaching skills and Manly credentials are unquestionable.... but there was still some bad blood and ill feeling from most Manly supporters given his past.

However.. anything had to be better than the pretty boy that did little but make excuses and preen, and Des’s return spawned hope.... could he restore that “Manly” spirit again? Could he make us play like a team worthy of the jersey, and hated by any not of the Manly family??

I’d suggest that so far... Dessie has had a blinder, turning a miserable team to watch into an entertaining and strong team that believes in themselves. Finally we are seeing the real DCE, the Turbos are pure footballers and guys that were dead ordinary last year are playing like seasoned veterans and with real heart.. even Jorge Taufua has hardly dropped a ball all year ffs!!

Proud of the turn around, proud of how the team plays, with a real positivity that drives points and that is backed by a dogged determination to not concede points.

It’s good to be a Sea Eagle!

Lemon Squash

First Grade
Kills me but yeh his name is already engraved on the medal.

Start of the year on paper Manly had the worst backline in the comp, then the only decent one Tturbo got injured you think they would of been cannon fodder. Somehow Dessie has managed to get all these no name plodders Elliot, Parker, Suli, Taufua, Garrick even Cust in the halves to play good solid footy.

I never thought Sironen would fulfil his potential but we are seeing it week in week out. Fonua-Blake is a grub but a bloody good prop forward, bloke you love having in your team.

My only hope is Dessie f**ks the cap up over the next few years so Manly end up in dark gaping asshole abyss just like the Dogs.

Jean Capdouze

Juniors
Yes Desmond will be coach of the year, he’s done a remarkable job with a team of no names.

Desmond Hasler is most famous for his brilliant stint at Hull FC in the 1993/94 season, scoring 10 tries from 23 appearances.

Last edited:

gerg

Juniors
The two Manly fans I know, and who wants to associate with any more than two of those trackheads, pissed and moaned about him coming back to coach. They both wanted Tooves instead, but Dessie was always a better option.

I maintain that he only lost his mojo at the Dogs because Mortimer was trying to shaft him.

Fangs

Coach
Great coach. Bulldogs thing was overblown. Wish Penrith took a shot at him before Dave's Mate.

Life's Good

Coach
Definitely a stand out for COTY. He’s taken a team that couldn’t get out of their own way to an outside title threat. Add in the fact they are playing an entertaining style of footy, it’s hard to see who comes close.
Barrett was not even close to doing that therefore confirming - hire ex Dragons players as coaches at your peril.

And to think if we were a smart club we could have signed Des. Alas, we are now just Desperate.

T.S Quint

Coach
Storm lost Billy Slater and somehow got better. 4 points clear at the top of the table.

So in summary all of this adds up to Brad Arthur being coach of the year.

It is, at the moment, looking quite possible, even if not certain, that Ricky Stuart will be the Coach of the Year. This is because of his skillful recruitment of four Poms, two Turks, and a Serb, thereby taking the multicultural club into the top four..

Quicksilver

Bench
It is, at the moment, looking quite possible, even if not certain, that Ricky Stuart will be the Coach of the Year. This is because of his skillful recruitment of four Poms, two Turks, and a Serb, thereby taking the multicultural club into the top four..

The Canberra Embassy Raider

Jean Capdouze

Juniors
Great minds think alike don’t they Albert?