What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Des Hasler; Coach of the Year

Walpole

Juniors
Best Coaches of 2019
1. Hasler - Turned the Sea Eagles around in his first year back,and now they are a major premiership threat. Stunning, since for most of his stint at the Bulldogs, he was really bad and should have been booted sooner.
2. Bellamy - Storm are first by a mile, without Cronk or Slater. And to think many doubted him...
3. Ricky Stuart - The Raiders have been amazing this year, and their recruitment has been outstanding. I have him pegged under Bellamy because Bellamy and the storm are freaks.

I don't think Arthur is among the best coaches. Whilst he has moved parra up from the wooden spoon to 6th in a year
(no small feat), the eels have been too inconsistent and i just don't think they are of the quality that the Storm, Roosters, Raiders, Souths and Manly are this year.
Really bad? Two grand finals and won 57% of games. I wish the Dragons had a coach that bad...

ReddFelon

Juniors
Did he? Or did Barrett turn gold to garbage?

That is the only question mark for me on Des but you can't argue with results.
It's a fair question but no, I would argue a number of the players have developed under Hasler. Moses Suli had one good game in 2017, his debut when Wests beat Souths. After that he was a deadweight for 2 years. Under Des that binge eating, lazy boy has become a power centre. Brad Parker was considered a player who shouldn't have made it past reserve grade and yet under Des he's been excellent.

Barrett was a bad coach, that much is true. However many of these players could've and likely would've languished under a number of people. Suli was coached by Cleary, Dean Pay (for a tiny part of preseason) and Barrett, none of them got the result out of him that Des has. Dylan Walker is slowly making his way back toward the form that saw him get an Origin jersey. Just across the board the players who were already considered good players (Jake, Tom, DCE, Marty, AFB, etc.) have upped their game, the midcard players have also improved dramatically, I don't think Barrett had any ideas game plan wise but I'd also argue that several coaches would've had similar results. Des has the best win percentage for a coach who's been across multiple clubs.

jiorl

Juniors
Really bad? Two grand finals and won 57% of games. I wish the Dragons had a coach that bad...

For most of his stint there, the Bulldogs weren't that good. A 2017 Cowboys-like streak got them their, even though they had a relatively average season (and i doubt anyone thought they were going to win against Souths). Had the Roosters won against Penrith, it could have been a very different story. While the Bulldogs were in the finals series after that till 2017, they never looked like progressing past the semi's. They slowly slid down each season, till their dismally bad 2017, where Hasler got the punt. I'd still take Bulldogs Hasler over Mary anyday of the week though

Last edited:

jiorl

Juniors
Which suggests that Cronk and Slater aren't as great as many people think. :p
Or maybe shows the loads of talent in reserves/juniors the Storm have, and how prepared the Storm are for when their stars leave. But it could well be the former

Latest posts