What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Des looking shaky at Manly

Munky

Coach
With better consultation, a better resolution could have been reached. I'm not a fan of the sort of lack of critical thinking that goes along with 'God says gay is bad, me no like gay people' but management were either completely oblivious to who their players are or f**king thick to think they could push through the rainbow jersey with no fallout. It's a very real, very pertinent cause around the mistreatment of LGBTQI+ people, but without consultation with their playing group, coach, seems like without speaking to the community etc, they f**ked it up.

While I agree this was a f**k up by management.

Every game Api joins the prayer circle. Now I'm no theistic scholar but I'm pretty sure Api may have publicly fallen afoul of one of the ten commandments during Origin last year. I have no doubt the Panther players would do the same thing if they replaced the stripes with rainbow colours on the jersey.

Yet the same guys are happy to run out and embrace in prayer with a bloke who *allegedly* doesn't follow the scripture word for word.

Last edited:

Pantherjim.

Referee
With better consultation, a better resolution could have been reached. I'm not a fan of the sort of lack of critical thinking that goes along with 'God says gay is bad, me no like gay people' but management were either completely oblivious to who their players are or f**king thick to think they could push through the rainbow jersey with no fallout. It's a very real, very pertinent cause around the mistreatment of LGBTQI+ people, but without consultation with their playing group, coach, seems like without speaking to the community etc, they f**ked it up.

Is that any reason to throw Hasler under the bus though?

And in any case, what do you think “consultation” would have achieved with these players?

Manly Warringah CEO: “Hey, guess what guys? In Round 20 when you play the Roosters in a month’s time, we’re celebrating pride week to show that the sport is inclusive of the LGBTI community, so we’d like you to wear a jersey during that game with a little bit of rainbow trimming in the design, it’s fully endorsed by one of the Sea Eagles Immortals; Ian Roberts. Would that be Ok with you guys?”

Many Warringah religious 7: “Yeah, Nah… We’re Christian and we regard homosexuality as a sin as versed in Leviticus blub verses blub, blub. Sorry, but we can’t be seen to be publicly supporting it. Sorry boss, but we’ll have to sit this one out…”

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Is that any reason to throw Hasler under the bus though?

And in any case, what do you think “consultation” would have achieved with these players?

Manly Warringah CEO: “Hey, guess what guys? In Round 20 when you play the Roosters in a month’s time, we’re celebrating pride week to show that the sport is inclusive of the LGBTI community, so we’d like you to wear a jersey during that game with a little bit of rainbow trimming in the design, it’s fully endorsed by one of the Sea Eagles Immortals; Ian Roberts. Would that be Ok with you guys?”

Many Warringah religious 7: “Yeah, Nah… We’re Christian and we regard homosexuality as a sin as versed in Leviticus blub verses blub, blub. Sorry, but we can’t be seen to be publicly supporting it. Sorry boss, but we’ll have to sit this one out…”
No, I completely agree - Des has been f**ked, big style. Manly made a prelim final last year, and were in the 8 at the time of the jersey f**k-up.

Consultation would have avoided the jersey situation. For the record, and I said it in the jersey thread multiple times, I have high disdain for the players who boycotted the jersey and the game. I have high disdain for any religion, or anyone for that matter that is prejudiced against any group of people. It's hypocritical, given a lot of things they do that are in opposition to the Bible, and I'm sure they wouldn't want to be judged and made to feel persecuted for their religion, skin colour or otherwise.

However, as I said, Manly could have backed the Pride cause in other ways. Remember, it wasn't Pride round, it was Women in League round. They could have put players up to back a message, to attend events, shown a commitment in other ways. They failed to know their players and the backlash it would inevitably cause, and actually shat on the Pride message as the message didn't get out clearly and the resulting media - especially social media - was one of 'freedom of speech' vs 'hate speech disguised as religion'. It was as poor of a decision as I've seen - that's not me saying the 7 had the right to be homophobic (because that's sorta what it is), either.

And apparently that's Des' fault, not the Penns. Des handled himself as well as he could have through the whole fiasco, with no CEO or owner assistance in a situation he didn't create nor should be expected to front on. Then I watch Scott Penn interviewed today/whenever it was, and he's a snake oil salesman.

Wb1234

Referee

Colk

First Grade

Seibold is on a hiding to nothing

he should’ve waited a few more years and this situation is set up to fail

he might actually be a good head coach but the way he got this job the pressure is enormous from day one and the players don’t want him
From the outside it looks like this job is all about repairing a fractured team. Get them all heading in the right direction and get lucky with injuries and they are a finals team.

If they continue to be us and them (the Northern Beaches blond headed boys and the Blacktown brothers) then get the popcorn out, because it will be the proverbial slow moving car crash.

Colk

First Grade
He is

loves rugby league

loves taking our players

It would be quite funny. Wallabies probably pining for him to come back and he comes back home to coach an NRL side.

It would be worth it just to get the reaction from all the Union supporters.

Wb1234

Referee
It would be quite funny. Wallabies probably pining for him to come back and he comes back home to coach an NRL side.

It would be worth it just to get the reaction from all the Union supporters.
When Alan jones coached Balmain he didn’t even know the player numbering system

plus Eddie won’t come cheap

another article is saying they are chasing Laurie Daley and flanghan to help which is more realistic

Chippy73

Bench
I just got the dumbest text out of the blue from a non-Manly supporting ex-work colleague I haven't spoken to in years;

"Hey ......., Des has been sacked. Will this make a difference to the Sea Eagles?"

What the f**king f**k do you reckon you muppet!! (is what I feel like replying).

Attachments

• Bilsey reeees.gif
    Bilsey reeees.gif
    542.4 KB · Views: 3

Latest posts