What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Developments

Anonymous

Juniors
I think that next year we will see some big developments for the game in the USA. I dont think it will go pro as yet, but I do think we will see things happen that will not only assist in the growth of the game at all levels, but also raise the standard of play on the field.

I happen to know a few young players going over to play in the USA next year and I think once the announcement is made sometime in the new year, we will all be looking foward to the commencement of the 2004 season.

One tip. I dont think it will be a 2 horse race between the Cats and Bulls and maybe they should be looking over there shoulder for the Ray's, Slayers, Knights and Sharks. All of whom big things are expected.

roopy

Referee
Musai Moran said:
I think that next year we will see some big developments for the game in the USA. I dont think it will go pro as yet, but I do think we will see things happen that will not only assist in the growth of the game at all levels, but also raise the standard of play on the field.

I happen to know a few young players going over to play in the USA next year and I think once the announcement is made sometime in the new year, we will all be looking foward to the commencement of the 2004 season.

One tip. I dont think it will be a 2 horse race between the Cats and Bulls and maybe they should be looking over there shoulder for the Ray's, Slayers, Knights and Sharks. All of whom big things are expected.

Musai,
Could you register so I can send you a pm.
Cheers.

Anonymous

Juniors
HAve it on good authority that the only thing holding back the AMNRL going forward with it's pro comp is the long term viability of the investment and timing issues for the 2004 season.
Fox will underwrite the competition that may see 30 - 40 top line players from the NRL and ESL places into an eight team format (6 east / 2 west).
The money is there to offer some fairly good contracts (100K US) tpo entice recently retired big name stars and good players forced out due to the salary cap.
They hope to place 4 or 5 players at each team, to assist with skills, training, preparation, training techniques etc. to bring the game up to a standard so it is worth televising and supporting.
This is a deadset goer ..the only thing to stop it is the long term viability study that is currently being undertaken plus whether there is enough time to promote it properly before the 2004 season.
The study will reveal if they can attract enough supporters/viewers in the time set out in the business proposal. There are a lot of Major sports in the US and Rugby Union has plenty of players but it is considered a leisure sport over there, more social then competitive. I even thing the USAFL is going gangbusters.
Before the detractors get on here bleating..it won't work, there is to many other sports, league isn't popular blah blah blah. Check all your other posts wishing somebody would promote our game properly, well here it is! As league supporters we should be doing everything in our power to make this work, not condeming before it even starts.
Look for some news, either way, in the next couple of weeks.

In-goal

Bench
looks very positive, i suppose they only need this suposed giant Union population to tune in and they will have reasonable viewing figures.

All the way with Rugby League.