What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Did anyone watch Sports Tonight (ch. 10) ?

WA Eel

Juniors
Funny that. We must have a lot of players who are so mentally scarred by their time under Smith, that even though they now play for other clubs, they are affraid to criticise. Either that or the "we hate Smith" brigade of ex-Eels is all been a big media fabrication.........

El Diablo

Post Whore
Parraren said:
Willie Tonga was interviewed about Brian Smith and had nothing but praise for him.

Also, they showed an Eels website calling for Brian Smith's head. This is the website...

http://www.parraletic.net/

I wonder if they bothered to check the website out before airing the story :roll:

They claimed the site was set up specially for the sacking of Smith and organising a rally.

The site has been around for years.

planeteels

Juniors
I almost fell over when I saw Parraletic.net on Sports Tonight..

I started laughing when they said it was the website that has been set-up in order to arrange the Rally... The Site in question is run by a Friend of a few of this Forum's contributors and has been around for donkeys years...

It wasn't setup for any Smith Rally... If people go to it, all you will find is the Sack Smith Now banner.... there isn't even a mention of any Rally. Shame Channel 10 & Sports Tonight!! Just adding to the Media's lack of Credibility in Journalism!!!

half

Coach
hey planet! we should put sack smithy banners up on our sites, send the link to the media outlets and watch the hits come rolling on in!

Eels Dude

Coach
Tonga I remember was quoted in the Sun Herald as saying Smith was a very good coach. I guess he wasn't around as long as some of the other discards though. The guys have to perform this weekend to show he is a good coach, they can support him all the like, but if they're not doing the job we have to ask to ask the question why?

GAME FIRST

Juniors
Tonga has to say that what point is there to say bad words re Smithy in public-
privately i know PJ and Aaron Raper have actually said he is too hard on trivial things and makes them think too much instead of allowing them to play as individuals and play what they see in attack- he wooried them instead of encouraging them and nurturing them - Tonga left us for money but also he didnt enjoy our style of play in attack- and that is a fact.

fish eel

Immortal

Well, no, he doesnt have to say that if he doesn't believe it.

He can simply say nothing. :D

WA Eel said:
Funny that. We must have a lot of players who are so mentally scarred by their time under Smith, that even though they now play for other clubs, they are affraid to criticise. Either that or the "we hate Smith" brigade of ex-Eels is all been a big media fabrication.........

hahah meantally scarred by smith! :lol:
if they're that mentally soft, thank god they've gone. :D

GAME FIRST said:
privately i know PJ and Aaron Raper have actually said he is too hard on trivial things and makes them think too much instead of allowing them to play as individuals and play what they see in attack- he wooried them instead of encouraging them and nurturing them - Tonga left us for money but also he didnt enjoy our style of play in attack- and that is a fact.

how can you criticise a coach for being too tough. IF these players said that (which i doubt it'd have been too much of an issue with PJ as he did want to re-sign with the eels) then they definitely dont see the merit of focusing on these trivial matters. It is often the little things that an individual/team is drilled on that can make a difference between winning and losing.

players these days are treated like demi-gods. many of them are overpaid with too much ego. its my opinion that this is part of the reason for the off-field dramas happening lately. understandably a tough coach may not relate to every player - ie: steve witt, he prefers the more laid back approach to training. but the vast majority of players need a tough coach to bring out the best in them.

GAME FIRST said:
Tonga left us for money but also he didnt enjoy our style of play in attack- and that is a fact.
Is it really? is it your fact that you just made up? give me a source or a quote from him and i might believe that. otherwise its just hearsay.

Eels Dude

Coach
I remember Tonga saying that he enjoyed the Bulldogs style of attack, apparently he has more freedom with the ball, while Parramatta had a strict plan which was adhered to. However, to say that he left because he didn't like Parramatta's attacking style is entirely different. If people are gonna present rumours as facts they should back them up.

redeel

Juniors
tonga left because bs would not drop that dead weight vailikme, and give tonga some game time , the only time tonga got into 1st grd was when somone was injured or rep duty, i spoke to him a few times, and he said he enjoyed playing at parra, and the money wasnt a factor[ parra offered him pretty much what he is on now] but he could see no future in staying with 2 internationals in front of him, the guy went well with little time he had in fg, but bs also stated the old adage of him needing to work on his defence, bs now has egg all over his face for letting this kid go, look at last nights game against the rorters3 tries and rock solid defence, makes me real f**kin sad

Eels Dude

Coach
redeel said:
tonga left because bs would not drop that dead weight vailikme, and give tonga some game time , the only time tonga got into 1st grd was when somone was injured or rep duty, i spoke to him a few times, and he said he enjoyed playing at parra, and the money wasnt a factor[ parra offered him pretty much what he is on now] but he could see no future in staying with 2 internationals in front of him, the guy went well with little time he had in fg, but bs also stated the old adage of him needing to work on his defence, bs now has egg all over his face for letting this kid go, look at last nights game against the rorters3 tries and rock solid defence, makes me real f**kin sad

Well with two internation centres at the club it would be have been hard to fit Tonga in the starting side. Vaealiki went through some form slumps last year, but Tonga was given his chance in first grade at Parramatta and didn't take it if you ask me. I remember the match against Canberra where he missed like 7 tackles and they humiliated him in defence. You can't blame the management for letting him go, he was offered a substantial contract, which he turned down for a better chance to play first grade, something which wasn't guarenteed and shouldn't have been.

eloquentEEL

First Grade
Unreal V said:
Site hits 394 @ 1% means 3.94 people to attend the rally

There'll be more than 4 people at the rally... they need a few bodies to hold the microphones and cameras

eloquentEEL

First Grade
Unreal V said:
Site hits 394 @ 1% means 3.94 people to attend the rally

There'll be more than 4 people at the rally... they need a few bodies to hold the microphones and cameras

Latest posts