What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Different standards

tiger78

Juniors
How can these teams that are supposed to be operating under a salary cap be so good, have so many star players, there is no way certain teams aren't breaking the rules. It makes me sick because some teams just year after year are at competition winning standards while other clubs just never get a break. The salary cap is supposed to give lesser teams a chance. I feel we will never be able to make the finals, when teams are doing this to us.

KFC

Juniors
Building a winning team takes time.

You bought extremely well in the off season and you have some quality youngsters coming through.

Apart from the last few weeks you've been competitive in every game.

To accuse successful clubs of cheating the cap is a cop out.

Clubs like the Roosters, Broncos and St George have built impressive reputations on and off the field, that's why they have so many quality players.

Not everything in life is based on money.

Everyone wants to be a winner.

And your club is on the right path.

Suzie

Juniors
:clap: That is very well said. The tigers are definately on the right track - and to quoteour illustrious leader, ok Sheensy :p , the tigers will be a force in 2005. It still sux to be on the end of these two hidings, but if, a BIG if, they turn up against the raiders and play like the team we know they really are, it will be a more successful season than any before, won't it? (come on, keep the faith! ;-) )

galea#13

Juniors
yeh the differnce is the raiders will let the tigers play like the team they can be but the roosters and dragons wont let them a different class!

HoLLuS

Juniors
Perhaps no class players want to be playign in shit sides, so no matter how much you offer, they aren't goign to want to go there...

yeah you guys bought big in the off season, but in all honesty, the only player who had a cemented first grade position was Sattler, even hodgson played PL for the eels a bit last year, Richards hadn't played first grade for ages, same with prince, graham was sacked by the sharks, and moodie was in retirement....

magpiemax

Juniors
KFC said:
Building a winning team takes time.

You bought extremely well in the off season and you have some quality youngsters coming through.

Apart from the last few weeks you've been competitive in every game.

To accuse successful clubs of cheating the cap is a cop out.

Clubs like the Roosters, Broncos and St George have built impressive reputations on and off the field, that's why they have so many quality players.

Not everything in life is based on money.

Everyone wants to be a winner.

And your club is on the right path.
KFC,do you know of any International's whom want to play for us for alot less than they are worth,this would be appreciated if you could help. :roll:

Suzie

Juniors
I dunno, guys, blaming the salary cap for us losing seems to be a bit like saying - oh but the other team were crap when we win? I think it's a cop out. I actually thought KFC was giving our team a wrap and some encouragement?? :?

magpiemax

Juniors
Suzie said:
I dunno, guys, blaming the salary cap for us losing seems to be a bit like saying - oh but the other team were crap when we win? I think it's a cop out. I actually thought KFC was giving our team a wrap and some encouragement?? :?
But don't you find it a little strange how the Rooster's keep em' under the cap.
i'm being serious here,how the **** do they do it.
PLEASE EXPLAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HoLLuS

Juniors
magpiemax said:
Suzie said:
But don't you find it a little strange how the Rooster's keep em' under the cap.

I know addition must be hard, but adding up our top 25 player's salary surprising does not exceed the cap. Some of our best players are still under contracts from years ago when they werent worth nearly as much. When we might lose players is when their contracts run out and we have to renegotiate.

Like i mentioned before, good sides attract good players as no one wants to play for a losing team.

daslacker

Juniors
I think the salary cap system is a farce.We need somthing like a
points system.Going on players points(ability) and maxium teams
points.

eg.
teams allowed 50 points

skando 6 points
prince 8
sattler 5
and so on to 50 or under.

also a maxium price to be payed to juniors.
pricing in first grade should be varible not fixed.If a player goes
out and plays great why shouldn't he get more for it if the club
wants to give it to him.

Then again if i was a dragons roosters bulldogs panthers fan.
All i'd want is a salary cap increase probably.

I could be wrong and the salary cap is working great for all.
Also a draft wouldn't change much.

Suzie

Juniors
magpiemax said:
Suzie said:
Stuffed if I know how they do it, but I don't think it's why we lost the last two games.

HoLLuS

Juniors
daslacker said:
points.

eg.
teams allowed 50 points

skando 6 points
prince 8
sattler 5

wants to give it to him.

Thats a great idea :roll:

Lets make every team mediocore so they can all play just as average as each other..... That will make for interesting footy

Seriously how bout instead of blaming the cap, you look to your own players and the fact that they just didnt turn up to play? Its nottoo hard to find alot of fault in your side last night. Look at the stats....

You were awarded more penalties that you didnt do anything with. Your error count was the same as ours, so no advantage there....

What it came down to? You missed twice as many tackles as us, including your precious Sattler missing some crucial tackles on cross, and couldnt break our line to save yourselves.

Look to yourself before you start blaming anything else

Simon

Juniors
The salary cap doesn't work on it's on cause players will go to teams like the Roosters, Dragons, etc for less money. This giving them the opportunity to build impressive squads while teams at the bottom struggle to improve.

The way to improve this isn't through a points system, it's through a draft. Youngsters coming into the game should be allocated to clubs through a draft. Maybe concessions for juniors could also be worked out here. Through the bottom teams having first crack at the young kids on the block, there is no doubt that they would improve over time.

To further this notion another draft also has to happen. There's no good youngsters coming into a lower team and then after 1 or 2 seasons heading to a higher ranked club. A draft should also occur here of some sorts. Clubs should be compensated for their losses.

Players won't like this but it's for the good of the game. If it can work for the AFL then why can't it work for the NRL.

angry ant

Juniors
Guys

How these teams get away with having so many class players is all Third Party agreements.

They rely on companies that dont have a sponsorship with th NRL or their club to sponsor a certain player. It works with the Broncos so well as they are the only team in Sth East QLD and can rely on a company to sponsor say Tallis and use him for promo work and none of it is included in the cap. The companies have to provide bank guarantees in case it falls thru.

Unfortunately with the strength of our team at the moment and due to us being in a compettive and overcrowded market we cant afford that and thereforemiss out on signing these big name players

_A_J_Gray_

Juniors
tiger78 said:
How can these teams that are supposed to be operating under a salary cap be so good, have so many star players, there is no way certain teams aren't breaking the rules. It makes me sick because some teams just year after year are at competition winning standards while other clubs just never get a break. The salary cap is supposed to give lesser teams a chance. I feel we will never be able to make the finals, when teams are doing this to us.

Just remember we are overpaying Beutnerr, Senter, Graham, Prince & Sattler. Thats not to mention good money for guys like Hodgson, Skandallis & Galea (They deserve it though).

Fact is we had to overpay players to come to our club, while Roosters could offer mediocre money for someone to come to them and theyll jump on it.

HoLLuS

Juniors
^^^^^^^^^

Thats right. The only rule is the 3rd party sponsors must not be paying the player to play league. Thats why this whole Andrew Johns trash is such an obvious breach of the rules. He only got his "jobs" at channel 9 and News Ltd to keep him in league. There for it should come under the cap.

Also, if it can be proved (which would be easy i'd imagine) that the player brought x amount of sponsorship into the club, he can also be paid for that outside the cap.

They are loopholes that every team can use

magpiemax

Juniors
HoLLuS said:
daslacker said:
points.

eg.
teams allowed 50 points

skando 6 points
prince 8
sattler 5

wants to give it to him.

Thats a great idea :roll:

Lets make every team mediocore so they can all play just as average as each other..... That will make for interesting footy

Seriously how bout instead of blaming the cap, you look to your own players and the fact that they just didnt turn up to play? Its nottoo hard to find alot of fault in your side last night. Look at the stats....

You were awarded more penalties that you didnt do anything with. Your error count was the same as ours, so no advantage there....

What it came down to? You missed twice as many tackles as us, including your precious Sattler missing some crucial tackles on cross, and couldnt break our line to save yourselves.

Look to yourself before you start blaming anything else
I'm not debating about the nature of the game, everyone realises how we lost!
Our argument here is if we knew of a way to have greater management, who know how to scrutinise the rules of the cap like other club's do then we would have International and SOO player's too who would'nt miss all those tackles.
Please don't try and blame our player's as they are not of International class. Both you and the Bulldog's are just to intelligent for the rest of us.
Maybe we should get an OASIS centre going as well some where. :shock: