What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Differing hemisphere / governing bodies viewpoints on International growth

The Partisan

Is it just because where they are located that officials, media, commentators and most likely players defer to their hemisphere when discussing the growth of the game globally ?

I raise this point after today listening to Todd Greenberg of the NRL (or ARLC .. I can't remember which :oops:) once again raising the issue of the games growth internationally ....then proceeded to mention only the Pacific nations in his spiel which included a reference to the World 9's happening later this year. To be honest I think it is pretty much the norm when anyone in Oz / NZ is asked about the game's growth.

Would love to know how many NRL players know that Greece and Norway played in a World Cup Qualifier game last weekend.

Must admit I am not sure if the same regional bias occurs in the northern hemisphere but it just irks me that when ever the subject of international expansion is raised here in Australia ...they always defer to the Pacific.

Surely when someone in the southern hemisphere is talking up the games' global footprint they could mention some other countries that are now playing the game ? Or are they just novelties to the uninformed. :rolleyes:

Shark62

Juniors
Is it just because where they are located that officials, media, commentators and most likely players defer to their hemisphere when discussing the growth of the game globally ?

I raise this point after today listening to Todd Greenberg of the NRL (or ARLC .. I can't remember which :oops:) once again raising the issue of the games growth internationally ....then proceeded to mention only the Pacific nations in his spiel which included a reference to the World 9's happening later this year. To be honest I think it is pretty much the norm when anyone in Oz / NZ is asked about the game's growth.

Would love to know how many NRL players know that Greece and Norway played in a World Cup Qualifier game last weekend.

Must admit I am not sure if the same regional bias occurs in the northern hemisphere but it just irks me that when ever the subject of international expansion is raised here in Australia ...they always defer to the Pacific.

Surely when someone in the southern hemisphere is talking up the games' global footprint they could mention some other countries that are now playing the game ? Or are they just novelties to the uninformed. :rolleyes:
It’s all driven by selfishness. They only pay lip service to the international game and its why growth has been hindered so much.
For the nrl even to acknowledge the pacific islands is a big step. Beyond that isn’t in their consciousness.

Pommy

Coach
In Australia I feel like they have an agenda not to push the international sport as they want to protect origin.
I guess naming the pacific sides stacked with Australians and Kiwis is their idea of a slight at the international game.

Shark62

Juniors
In Australia I feel like they have an agenda not to push the international sport as they want to protect origin.
I guess naming the pacific sides stacked with Australians and Kiwis is their idea of a slight at the international game.
That’s why I thoroughly enjoyed the decision by Taumolamo and Fifita to represent Tonga.

Storm13

Juniors
I think Australia sees money/growth with the pacific aligning/depending on the NRL and see it as growing their brand. England should be worried as they seem to be on the outer with the NRL.

Pommy

Coach
I think Australia sees money/growth with the pacific aligning/depending on the NRL and see it as growing their brand. England should be worried as they seem to be on the outer with the NRL.

What money and growth is there to be had in the pacific? There’s about 100 people across all the islands with the combined earning power of about 13 job seekers in Hull.
The only real perceived growth is actually just dividing the Aus and NZ markets.

Last edited:

Storm13

Juniors
What money and growth is there to be had in the pacific? There’s about 100 across people across all the islands with the combined earning power of about 13 job seekers in Hull.
The only real perceived growth is actually just dividing the Aus and NZ markets.
More than there is in playing England.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I think the big thing is that Pacific growth will feed straight back into the NRL and make it stronger.

On the other hand, growth in Europe only poses a challenge to the NRLs supremacy by potentially creating comps who can poach players or drive up prices.

No benefit for the NRL so why help them?

adamkungl

Immortal
What money and growth is there to be had in the pacific? There’s about 100 across people across all the islands with the combined earning power of about 13 job seekers in Hull.

I think the big thing is that Pacific growth will feed straight back into the NRL and make it stronger.

On the other hand, growth in Europe only poses a challenge to the NRLs supremacy by potentially creating comps who can poach players or drive up prices.

No benefit for the NRL so why help them?

Bingo.
Pacific growth driven by the NRL is little more than an expanded player pool.
It's all take and not very much give.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Greenberg would have absolutely no idea of what is happening globally. If NRL aren't paying for it he isn't interested. NRL is only interested if it serves its purpose of having more talent in the NRL and placating its PI players who miss out on Origin.. Which is fair enough, it is the RLIF job to grow the game internationally with the support of the governing bodies.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
In my view, the NRL focus on the Pacific because it is in their region and because it is a good player source moving into the future. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. They are doing a great job of raising the profile of the game in their region and the Pacific Tests, Warriors, Hunters and Fiji (next year) have had a great impact on the international game.

Europe and North America are taken care of by the RLEF and member country's ambitious clubs play in the RFL competitions; Toronto, Toulouse, Catalan, Ottowa, New York and Red Star Belgrade (Challenge Cup).

yakstorm

First Grade
There is more than just the player source that is driving the NRL's push into the Pacific, there is also big Government money on offer, and it is something the NRL is keen to take advantage of.

Both sides of Government are concerned (either rightly or wrongly) about the amount of influence that China is starting to have on the region, as such they are looking to ramp up the amount of funding these nations get, as well try to leverage cultural connections between Australia and the nations.

Thankfully Rugby League is at the right spot at the right time. Interest and participation in the code is on the rise, we have a PM and Leader of the Opposition who are both League fans, Union is bombing out in Australia and doing whatever it can to make the Pacific nations feel unwanted, and well AFL simply hasn't made enough of a mark in these nations to be considered.

This is why there is Government money for PM XIII matches, for Development Officers, NRL Trials and potentially Premiership matches, etc. The Oceania Cup and even GB's match in PNG are both getting money from the Australian Government.

In addition to that, these nations, whilst small, are making an ever increasing amount from Tourism dollars, and see sport as a viable platform for attracting tourists. Again, this is why clubs like the Sharks are looking to Tonga / Samoa etc for games, because there is actually money there.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
What money and growth is there to be had in the pacific? There’s about 100 people across all the islands with the combined earning power of about 13 job seekers in Hull.

That's why they always play in western Sydney or Auckland.

Australia only do anything for the game if there is a buck to be made.

Stallion

First Grade
That's why they always play in western Sydney or Auckland.

Australia only do anything for the game if there is a buck to be made.

Not really. The non playing of the Lions against the Kangaroos in Australia this year is a big example of commercial incompetence. Such a test (be it just one) would have been a sure fire tv ratings winner and sold out at the venue of choice. This omission is a doozy as far as administrative incompetence and poor market understanding is concerned. So dissapointing on many fronts.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Not really. The non playing of the Lions against the Kangaroos in Australia this year is a big example of commercial incompetence. Such a test (be it just one) would have been a sure fire tv ratings winner and sold out at the venue of choice. This omission is a doozy as far as administrative incompetence and poor market understanding is concerned. So dissapointing on many fronts.

Are the Lions touring and not playing the Kangaroos? I wasn't aware. You should post this on every thread in the international section so that as many people as possible find out about it.

Stallion

First Grade
Are the Lions touring and not playing the Kangaroos? I wasn't aware. You should post this on every thread in the international section so that as many people as possible find out about it.

Pretty sure your village idiot comments are not put in check by some on this site. That's one of the reasons some of us get reality and genuine discoure going. Unlike yourself. Yet again another example of your reckless idiotic contributions. Mind you some of your comments are ok even despite your fundamental flaws. This latest one being an example of your idiocy prevailing.

Latest posts