What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Disney announces 10 new star wars and marvel series

Mr Spock!

Referee
And a new Indiana Jones

Disney announce 10 Star Wars and 10 Marvel series – and new films
Hayden Christensen returns as Darth Vader in the Obi-Wan Kenobi mini-series, while Chadwick Boseman won’t be replaced for Black Panther sequel

Disney has unveiled a huge slew of new projects for the next decade at an investor event.

Speaking on Thursday, Lucasfilm boss Kathleen Kennedy announced that the new Star Wars film, Rogue Squadron, will be directed by Wonder Woman’s Patty Jenkins – the first time a female director has taken charge of one of the franchise films.

On Twitter, Jenkins posted a video explaining she had long wanted to make a film about a fighter pilot – the profession of her late father, who died when she was seven. The film is due for release in Christmas 2023.

Kennedy added that Taika Waititi, who won an Oscar earlier this year for his Jojo Rabbit screenplay, was still writing the screenplay for another as yet untitled film in the franchise that Disney announced in May.

Kennedy also revealed that Disney+ has plans for 10 Star Wars series and 10 Marvel series in the near future, and that Hayden Christensen – who played Anakin Skywalker in the Star Wars prequels – will return to play Darth Vader in the upcoming Obi-Wan miniseries starring Ewan McGregor.

Donald Glover will reprise his role as space smuggler Lando Calrissian for TV series Lando, having first appeared opposite Alden Ehrenreich in 2018 origins movie Solo: A Star Wars Story.

The success of spin-off series The Mandalorian, which introduced Baby Yoda to the world, had, said Kennedy, opened “an entirely new era for Star Wars”.

Star Wars veteran Harrison Ford, 78, will return as Indiana Jones for a fifth and final instalment in the series, to be directed by Logan’s James Mangold. Meanwhile Zac Efron will star in a Disney+ reboot of childcare romp Three Men and a Baby.

At the same presentation, Marvel chief Kevin Feige paid tribute to Chadwick Boseman, the late star of Black Panther, and confirmed that Ryan Coogler’s forthcoming sequel to the superhero smash won’t recast its central character but rather explore the stories of supporting cast.

The film, due out in July 2022, is also not expected to attempt to digitally recreate Boseman, who died of cancer aged 43 in August.

Meanwhile, Christian Bale will hop over from the DC world, in which he once played Batman, to co-star in Marvel’s Thor: Love and Thunder – due for release in May 2022 – as chief villain Gorr the God Butcher.

Nia DaCosta, whose much-anticipated reboot of the Candyman horror series is scheduled for release next year, will take the reins on Captain Marvel 2, a second outing for Brie Larson’s superhero ringleader. And Jon Watts, the director behind the current Spider-Man trilogy, will direct a new Fantastic Four film, about the team that began the Marvel story in the 1960s.

Feige also unveiled first looks at Falcon & the Winter Soldier, which will be released on Disney+ in March, and for Tom Hiddleston’s Loki series, due on screens in May.

Disney’s fleet-footed rollout of its streaming channel during the pandemic has fuelled the studio’s rise to apparently unassailable dominance of the mainstream movie landscape. On Thursday, the studio announced it had hit 86 million subscribers within its first year, and that prices are to rise next year.

Pixar’s latest film, Soul, will bypass a theatrical release and premiere on the channel on Christmas Day. Thursday’s presentation offered no further information about the fate of Black Widow, the upcoming Avengers origins film starring Scarlett Johansson, which has had its release date moved numerous times.

Likewise, Feige kept silent on progress of James Cameron’s Avatar sequels – set to premiere in 2022, 2024 and 2026 – which Disney acquired in its $71.3bn (£54bn) buyout of assets from 21st Century Fox in 2019.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/20...-star-wars-and-10-marvel-series-and-new-films

bileduct

Coach
Television is the one area where Marvel are actually playing catchup with DC. DC already has 9 currently ongoing shows on The CW and HBOMax with several more on the way. The Marvel lineup looks like wall to wall shit that I couldn't give two f**ks about except probably Moon Knight and What If...? Those could be kinda interesting.

The Star Wars lineup mostly looks like a massive yawnfest. Not sure why we need a series about Cassian Andor. Don't really care about seeing Dong Lover in a Lando series. At least there's no Ewoks or Jar Jar Binks I suppose.

They also announced an Alien tv show. Why won't they just let that franchise die?

If I wasn't such a bitter, cynical old merkin I might have been excited about some of this stuff but my gut feeling is the streaming wars is going to result in mountains of crap content as all of these tent pole franchises get the utter shit milked out of them, as we are already seeing happen with Star Trek.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Hayden Christensen returns as Darth Vader
luke-skywalker-empire-strikes-back-no.jpeg

shiznit

Coach
Television is the one area where Marvel are actually playing catchup with DC. DC already has 9 currently ongoing shows on The CW and HBOMax with several more on the way. The Marvel lineup looks like wall to wall shit that I couldn't give two f**ks about except probably Moon Knight and What If...? Those could be kinda interesting.

The Star Wars lineup mostly looks like a massive yawnfest. Not sure why we need a series about Cassian Andor. Don't really care about seeing Dong Lover in a Lando series. At least there's no Ewoks or Jar Jar Binks I suppose.

They also announced an Alien tv show. Why won't they just let that franchise die?

If I wasn't such a bitter, cynical old merkin I might have been excited about some of this stuff but my gut feeling is the streaming wars is going to result in mountains of crap content as all of these tent pole franchises get the utter shit milked out of them, as we are already seeing happen with Star Trek.

I seriously hope the Marvel shows are f**king different from the rubbish DC stuff I’ve seen.

I also hope it’s better than agents of shield and agent carter which from what I’ve seen is utter garbage.

The only TV shows I liked were the Marvel Netflix ones... especially Daredevil and Punisher.

After the success of the Mandalorian I'm hoping the high production value they put into that will cross over to the other shows.

I’m not gonna lie... I find Wandavision intriguing... It could well be a hot mess but it looks like something different I’d like to see.

Falcon and Winter Soldier looks okay... a lot will rest on the story. The problem for them is I’d rather that story was a hard R and turn it into a gritty series like the punisher. But Disney won’t do that with an MCU property right now.

Loki looks interesting as f**k... that teaser was probably my favourite of the lot.

I think from what I’ve heard.. these aren’t really TV series as such... but more like one off 6-8 episode events that bridge between films.

so I wouldn’t expect to see season 2 of many of these series...

Zoidberg

First Grade
I don’t mind there being this amount and variety if most of them are planned as 1 or 2 season mini-series’.
Plus I think this will probably be a 3-4 year release date schedule for all these.

Matua

Bench
I seriously hope the Marvel shows are f**king different from the rubbish DC stuff I’ve seen.

I also hope it’s better than agents of shield and agent carter which from what I’ve seen is utter garbage.

The only TV shows I liked were the Marvel Netflix ones... especially Daredevil and Punisher.

The DC are light entertainment, and I think are a darn sight better than any Hack Snyder dark DC B/S. IN saying that I haven't watched them all but if you wanted something light they're a good better.

Shields and Carter are the same. Light entertainment with pretty people to look at.

I also think the Marvel Netflix run was hugely overrated. I found Daredevil S1 a chore (I find the main guy pretty charisma free), thought the first Jessica Jones was good, Punisher S1 was decent due to the actor, but that's about it. I didn't make it to the Defenders.

I don't think we know what the quality of these shows will be so I'm happy to view them as they come out if they're any good.

bileduct

Coach
I thought Daredevil was pretty good, or at least I managed to get through three seasons of it. The first season of Jessica Jones was decent, but didn't hook me enough to watch the other seasons yet.

Luke Cage and Iron Fist I didn't give two f**ks about, and consequently didn't bother watching Defenders.

Punisher I was really disappointed with. 13 episodes was a real slog to get through, then about an episode or two into season two I just completely lost interest.

That said, the Netflix shows were the only Marvel shows I actually did bother with. The other stuff like Agents of SHIELD and Agent Carter I didn't bother with... Looked like the kind of garbage that would fit in on The CW with all the stupid DC shows.

I probably would have had a look at Cloak and Dagger if I'd known about it, but looking at the wikipedia article it's categorised as "young adult", so maybe I'll give it a skip too.

I liked the stand alone Rogue One film, even with its tie in. I enjoyed it because they had the guts to kill everyone off.

Rogue Squadron needs to be interesting too. Different. A bit Battle of Britain. A bit Top Gun. Sure, hot shot pilots etc but if they make it an epic, exhilarating rush then I'm all in. And I'd love the "oh we all made it back from the battle...except for Ginger. S/he bought it over XXX..." LOL.

Hayden as Darth, again. Prowse will be rolling in his grave.

ACTPanthers

Bench
As a massive Marvel and Star Wars fanboy, I'm looking forward to every single thing they want to release in these franchises... lol

Zoidberg

First Grade
Just wanted to share this great vid I just saw that’s been doing the rounds for a couple of months.
Shows how good the sequels could have been if Kylo was the main character and there was more focus and inter connectivity with the OG characters.
Goes for a while but it definitely takes you on an emotional ride.

Latest posts