What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dissapointed School Kids

big boppa eel

Juniors
Need to get something of my chest, today Parra players were to turn up to my son's school OLOL at Seven Hill, instead they got 1 young fella from our NYC side, Josh.T who obviously noone recognised no offence to him and I think 1 training staffer came along as well, a few kids turned up with a few little things to sign and some had also worn their jerseys and obviously very excited which soon turned to dissapointment, if u make a commitment u should keep and not treat people like idiots, Parra as a club are moving forward but in this instance was 2 steps forward five steps back.:(

PS Do realise little Oscar passed last night and that would have rocked the club, still thought even 1 First Grader would have been ok as well.

Last edited:

PJ Marshal

Coach
Need to get something of my chest, today Parra players were to turn up to my son's school OLOL at Seven Hill, instead they got 1 young fella from our NYC side, Josh.T who obviously noone recognised no offence to him and I think 1 training staffer came along as well, a few kids turned up with a few little things to sign and some had also worn their jerseys and obviously very excited which soon turned to dissapointment, if u make a commitment u should keep and not treat people like idiots, Parra as a club are moving forward but in this instance was 2 steps forward five steps back.:(

PS Do realise little Oscar passed last night and that would have rocked the club, still thought even 1 First Grader would have been ok as well.

were they meant to come to run drills etc?

PJ Marshal

Coach
sometimes if its organised thru arl development , the DO's will bring a their trainee develop officers who are NYC players. It could have been a mis communication, not making excuses for the club but it happens often.

schools organised arld to come out from each club automatically thinking its the nrl players, when its just usually a development officer.

Gronk

Staff member
If the club informed the School that part of the full time squad were going to attend then it's poor form. I wonder if that was the case or just an assumption by a few ?

SDM

First Grade
when I was at school we got the Sydney Kings, would have killed for some U20's players, atleast they would have bought a footy to kick.

bildo

Juniors
I am pleased you chose to get that off your chest, boppa. Incidents like that should just not happen .
You don't need to be a marketing guru to realize that the club should be doing all they can to win over as many kids as possible. Disappointing the kids is worse than doing nothing at all. If you get them while they are young, you will most likely have them for life. They could well get their family's involved also. I don't know what players like Hayne, Hindmarsh etc do when they are away from training etc but it would be in there's, the clubs, and the games best interest if they were to promote the game to kids as much as possible. I'm sure they would have a lot of fun doing it too.

Anyways, it probably won't be too long before the slick, professional, AFL get a hold of them.

Stagger eel

Staff member
as bbe, said even one member from the fulltime squad could of done the trick, for the love of christ, we need to start realising that we aren't the only major sporting club in the district that are trying to tap into kids minds at grass roots level...if we did this in 2 years time than I'd call for the sacking of those involved..what a joke.

btw, grapeape!! how f**ken arrogant are you???...seriously!

The Colonel

Immortal
sometimes if its organised thru arl development , the DO's will bring a their trainee develop officers who are NYC players. It could have been a mis communication, not making excuses for the club but it happens often.

schools organised arld to come out from each club automatically thinking its the nrl players, when its just usually a development officer.

Thanks PJ.

The club has two development trainees - Josh Batalibasi and Rory Brien and 3 ARL Development Officers - Michael Basan, Mitchell Krahe and Jodie Diaz.

All easy to say it should have been NRL players coming to the school but it would have been organised by ARLD not the club. Ring them before throwing accusations at the club for not providing who you thought they were. Disappointing yes for the kids involved but the school and ARLD need to communicate a bit better.

Last edited:

Parra Guru

Coach
I would have been P*ssing my pants with excitement if I knew Parra players were coming to my school (and I was in Primary in the early 90's) :lol:

I can understand what a let down that would have been, bbe

Yeah this is pretty poor actually it's pathetic. The kids are the key.

AFL are on our door step now and if Parra are doing this crap then the AFL will kill us with what they will do for kids.

watatank

Coach
I always thought it was standard practice...

When I was in primary school I had Ben Hornby and Aaron Gorrell came to my school (they were in Flegg at the time)...In high school a development officer helped my school team and he brought one of the Morris boys along (also in Flegg at the time)

The Colonel

Immortal
I always thought it was standard practice...

When I was in primary school I had Ben Hornby and Aaron Gorrell came to my school (they were in Flegg at the time)...In high school a development officer helped my school team and he brought one of the Morris boys along (also in Flegg at the time)

But they said a Parramatta player was coming to the school...... :crazy:

Sarcasm, for those that don't get it.

Been exactly the same way as you described it for 30 years.

Gronk

Staff member
But they said a Parramatta player was coming to the school...... :crazy:

Sarcasm, for those that don't get it.

Been exactly the same way as you described it for 30 years.

Maybe the teachers need to be more careful in what they say to the kids next time. The club seems to be copping it in this thread but it may not be them who balls it up.

PJ Marshal

Coach
thats it pretty much in a nutshell, schools will just assume that if arl development are coming from whatever club they are automatically going to be nrl players.

im sure if it was organised through the school that it was going to be a specific appearance from a hindmarsh or a burt they wouldn't bail unless the school was notified.