What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Diversifying Rugby League - NRL

İzmir Zaferi

Juniors
In the last decade or two we have seen a massive shift demographically in Rugby League from the grassroots to the NRL.

As part of such, we have seen a particular increase in Pasifika representation. This of course is good.

However, in terms of multicultural diversity, reflecting Australian and NZ societies we are still pretty narrow. The vast majority of players are Pacific Islanders, Maori, Caucasian or Australian Indigenous.

At a junior level some clubs are nearly 100 percent Pasifika in areas that are far more diverse.

What can we do to include and broaden the appeal of Rugby League to demographics that are not presently well represented at junior and senior levels?

(I have some ideas but would love to see the NRL given more room to engage groups such as Indian, Chinese, other Asian communities)

For instance, Parramatta now has a very strong Indian demographic. Multicultural round surely could have been an opportunity to celebrate Indian / Sub continent cultures.

Maybe something is happening but I don't see much (harmony cup aside)

İzmir Zaferi

Juniors
?

I am in Turkey, so am not sure what you mean.

There is a teeny little bit of lip service to the wider array of cultural communities in the NRL and lower levels but I think Rugby League is missing a huge emerging demographic.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
The Lebanese community is pretty well engaged through the Bulldogs especially.
In earlier decades the Greek and Italian communities became associated with their local clubs too. This kind of thing definitely seems to work best on a local level - so yeah, Parra probably have an opportunity to engage with the Indian community in their area. Of course the challenge with Indians is getting them to pay attention to any sport that isn’t cricket!!

In earlier decades the Greek and Italian communities became associated with their local clubs too. This kind of thing definitely seems to work best on a local level - so yeah, Parra probably have an opportunity to engage with the Indian community in their area. Of course the challenge with Indians is getting them to pay attention to any sport that isn’t cricket!!
If Parra successfully engage with the Indian community, Commbank will probably have the best food offering of any stadium. Beer, curry, footy. ménage a toir anybody?

Desert Qlder

First Grade
People forget that Rugby League is still working class.

Pasifika are working class people. Other ethnic groups like Caucasion, Italian etc. have elevated themselves above working class through time, multi-generational wealth, education, many factors. The game of Rugby League is a powerful opportunity for young Pasifika kids to pursue economic opportunities and even help their families.

India has a highly stratified, though difficult to understand, class/caste system. I'd say most Indian migrants to Australia are not from the working Indian classes. I doubt the game of Rugby League will be reaching them in great numbers anytime soon.

The prism of ethnicity ignores the fact that class is still hugely prevalent in our society, though ignored or suppressed.

dogslife

Coach
This is why weight classes are important in juniors. Maoris and Pacific islanders are fully grown men by the time they're 9 years old. Good luck trying to get the little Indian kid interested in getting mauled every weekend.

I'm sure it was the same with football and Italians / Greeks etc.

Pasifika are working class people. Other ethnic groups like Caucasion, Italian etc. have elevated themselves above working class through time, multi-generational wealth, education, many factors. The game of Rugby League is a powerful opportunity for young Pasifika kids to pursue economic opportunities and even help their families.

India has a highly stratified, though difficult to understand, class/caste system. I'd say most Indian migrants to Australia are not from the working Indian classes. I doubt the game of Rugby League will be reaching them in great numbers anytime soon.

The prism of ethnicity ignores the fact that class is still hugely prevalent in our society, though ignored or suppressed.
Most Indian migrants are certainly middle class / working class from regional areas. Same with Nepalese and Pakistani / Afghanistani. In those parts of the world, if you are upper middle class or higher class in terms of wealth, typically there is no need to leave the country as you have an ease of life that is hard to replicate, e.g. chefs, maids, cleaners, drivers, gardners etc.

reanimate

Bench
RL has done well engaging migrants from Mediterranean backgrounds, especially considering that RL doesn’t, or once didn’t, have a particularly strong presence in their home countries.

RL has performed much better than other popular Australian sports, such as cricket, in that regard. There has never been the same interest or love of cricket in these communities.

(I have some ideas but would love to see the NRL given more room to engage groups such as Indian, Chinese, other Asian communities)

For instance, Parramatta now has a very strong Indian demographic. Multicultural round surely could have been an opportunity to celebrate Indian / Sub continent cultures.
The India Jungle Cats RL team were formed in 2019. Played a few games, progress disrupted by Covid. Their game against Latin Heat was livestreamed on Bar TV. Highly entertaining, good standard.

Their latest venture in May is a tri-series in Auckland with teams repping Tokelau and Cook Islands. Parra could have hooked up with them for events and promotions. Maybe help them raise money for the trip.

Also, there are many Chinese and other East-Asian-heritage Oztag players in Western Sydney. Multicultural round should be a chance for clubs like Parra to drive home the PVL message that RL is a contact/non-contact sport with participant options for everyone.

If Parra successfully engage with the Indian community, Commbank will probably have the best food offering of any stadium. Beer, curry, footy. ménage a toir anybody?
I'm struggling with the concept of "ménage a toir". Must be an Aussie phenomenon.

If you mean ménage-a-trois, try and find a beer, curry, footy, swingers club.

Failing that, there's always ménage-a-moi. Definitely an Aussie phenomenon.

yakstorm

First Grade
What can we do to include and broaden the appeal of Rugby League to demographics that are not presently well represented at junior and senior levels?

There are bits and pieces happening, however not many of the initiatives get the attention of say a Harmony Cup.

At an open age level, Victoria, South Australia and Western Australia all have their own Harmony Cup tournaments, whilst the NSWRL runs the Harmony Nines. Most of these competitions now also run U18s and U16s equivalents and offer and feature teams representing the likes of Vietnam, Japan, Greece, Cambodia, Thailand, South Sudan, Syria, Ukraine, Macedonia, Poland, Italy, Ireland, Philippines, Brazil, Chile and El Salvador.

There are also composite teams like Africa United, Middle East-Africa, ASEAN and Latin Heat for those heritages which currently don't have enough players for their own team.

The NSWRL & Heritage Rugby League also run versions of this event using LeagueTag as well and there is also the Heritage Representative fixtures organised. The NSWRL, QRL and State Leagues also all run Try League programs (https://www.nswrl.com.au/community/try-league/) which are specifically focused on culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) communities (Between 2018 - 2022 the program in NSW introduced league to 2,500 youth of Indian, Chinese, Lebanese, Sri Lankan, Pakistani and Filipino backgrounds)

Then there is the work the different club and NRL Game Development Officers do going out to schools, especially in those specific communities, and then finally the game acknowledges that some of these cultures are less inclined to try 'tackle' Rugby League, which is one of the reasons for the Touch Football and LeagueTag partnerships.

There is definitely more that could be done, and some programs are more effective than others, etc, but the game is well aware that it needs to be as inclusive as possible.

This article is a few years old now, but talks about how the Eels are having success attracting people of Indian heritage to support the team (https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/th...parramatta-eels-fan-base-20190821-p52jgo.html).

T-Boon

Coach

That is true (though RL is arguably more welfare class now) and require immediate and intense rectification so the game is for all classes. It is idiotic to just cut the wealthier classes out of the game.

T-Boon

Coach
Gotta get more PNG and aboriginal players. Need more positions for smaller zippy dudes.

bazza

Immortal
This article is a few years old now, but talks about how the Eels are having success attracting people of Indian heritage to support the team (https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/th...parramatta-eels-fan-base-20190821-p52jgo.html).
Interesting in that article they interviewed a guy who moved over when he was 10 and learnt about RL through school
I think it will be the same with other migrants from non-RL countries. It will be their kids who watch/play as they get older rather than those who are fresh off the boat

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
That is true (though RL is arguably more welfare class now) and require immediate and intense rectification so the game is for all classes. It is idiotic to just cut the wealthier classes out of the game.
Nick Politis, Russell Crowe, Cannon-Brooks, Scott Penn, Lachlan Murdoch, Mark Bouris, Anthony Albanese, Scott Morrison, Kevin Rudd... just to name a few

The game definitely doesn't struggle attracting the rich and powerful these days.

Also, not sure about other cities, but the Broncos attract all types and ethnicities to Suncorp. In fact, it is quite often suggested as one of the must do things to do in Brisbane to tourists

Last edited:
In the last decade or two we have seen a massive shift demographically in Rugby League from the grassroots to the NRL.

As part of such, we have seen a particular increase in Pasifika representation. This of course is good.

However, in terms of multicultural diversity, reflecting Australian and NZ societies we are still pretty narrow. The vast majority of players are Pacific Islanders, Maori, Caucasian or Australian Indigenous.

At a junior level some clubs are nearly 100 percent Pasifika in areas that are far more diverse.

Don Lemon. Is that you?

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
At the South vs Warriors game and noticing quite a few Indian/south Asian fans in attendance, most of whom appear to be Wahs fans.
Wouldn’t surprise me in Auckland because South Auckland had a large Indian population and many of them are Fijian Indian who are more familiar with rugby codes, but interesting to see them in Sydney too