What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Division 1 teams

Evil Homer

Staff member
LESStar58 said:
Which teams actually play in the English First Division? Any info were I can look it up?

It is a 10 team comp at the moment.

The teams are

Leigh Centurions
Whitehaven
Halifax
Doncaster Dragons
Oldham Roughyeds
Rochdale Hornets
Keighly Cougars
Hull K.R.
Featherstone Rovers
Batley Bulldogs

There is also a 2nd division with 10 clubs,which are

Sheffield Eagles
Barrow Raiders
York City Knights
London Skolars
Chorley Lynx
Dewsbury Rams
Hunslet Hawks
Gateshead Thunder
Workington Town
Swinton Lions

The links for all the English clubs can be found here

axl rose

Bench
Evil Homer said:
DrewBeliever said:
you didn't add the link, you numpty!

Yes I did,its the word 'here' :roll:

why do Halifax suck so much? i thought they were in SL recently and now they are coming about last in the other division.

Evil Homer

Staff member
axl rose said:
Evil Homer said:
DrewBeliever said:

why do Halifax suck so much? i thought they were in SL recently and now they are coming about last in the other division.

Poor management and poor players.They went through all of last season with only 1 win,and then they broke the salary cap and had the points taken away.Then they sold the few good players and bought even worse ones to take their place.

axl rose

Bench
Evil Homer said:
axl rose said:
Evil Homer said:
DrewBeliever said:

Poor management and poor players.They went through all of last season with only 1 win,and then they broke the salary cap and had the points taken away.Then they sold the few good players and bought even worse ones to take their place.

ok i have another question, why are they called Blue Sox?? i challenge anyone to come up with a WORSE name then that! good luck.

Ok so there is the 'big 4' in England. Will anyone ever challenge them? they are on top mostly due to juniors and money right? will any teams ( including div 1) ever have anywhere near the sort of financial power to even come near them? who is potentially a decent div 1 team who could make there way up? in terms of money, crowd support etc

Evil Homer

Staff member
axl rose said:
Evil Homer said:
axl rose said:
Evil Homer said:
DrewBeliever said:

ok i have another question, why are they called Blue Sox?? i challenge anyone to come up with a WORSE name then that! good luck.

Ok so there is the 'big 4' in England. Will anyone ever challenge them? they are on top mostly due to juniors and money right? will any teams ( including div 1) ever have anywhere near the sort of financial power to even come near them? who is potentially a decent div 1 team who could make there way up? in terms of money, crowd support etc

Hull are basically a big 5 side now,they normally beat all the big 4.Huddersfield,Wakefield and Warrington are all just below and could catch up in a year or so.The other teams are quite a way off yet including the top div 1 teams like Doncaster and Leigh.

Paul-The-Cowboy

Juniors
And on the Halifax point, I'm pretty sure they've dropped the Blue Sox tag now. A few months after one of their fans changed his name to "Halifax Blue Sox" if I remember correctly :lol: :lol: :lol:

t-ba

Post Whore
Leigh Looks the Goods to get promoted :D . They got bigger crowds than Salford when they were both in Div 1.

Yeah..."Blue Sox" Is a stinker isn't it :lol: .

axl rose

Bench
Paul-The-Cowboy said:
And on the Halifax point, I'm pretty sure they've dropped the Blue Sox tag now. A few months after one of their fans changed his name to "Halifax Blue Sox" if I remember correctly :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: now that is funny. Ok more questions. Do the top Super League clubs raid all the lower clubs of thier junior talent? we have a number of vulture type clubs in Australia who buy players just to stack thier reserve grade side. Im guessing that would happen alot? so it must be tough for a lower type club to grow. Who has the biggest junior base over there? Wigan?

What happens when a div 1 team gets promoted? do they keep thier side or do they just buy pretty much all new players?

I think there is a salary cap over there? clubs are allowed to spend half there profit? I fail to see what the point of that is and how that could even out the spread of talent.

Question overload! 8)

Paul-The-Cowboy

Juniors
:lol:

Probably not raid as such but yeah, a fair amount of young players in Super League originally came from the lower leagues such as Wilkin, Whiting and Barnett. But more players are signed from amateur clubs in the area at 16-18.

Wigan do have a lot of youngsters and there's some real quality coming through there at the moment. Kev Brown and Luke Robinson are 2 teenagers with a big future ahead of them. Leeds have also produced some cracking young players recently such as Burrow, McGuire, Mathers, Bailey and Walker.

For the Division 1 teams? I'm not sure. All this salary cap stuff confuses me :lol: . SL clubs have a 20/20 rule as well as not being allowed to spend over half their income I think but I'm not sure. This is probably to stop clubs spending more than they can afford and going bust. Not sure about the salary cap in National League 1 & 2. There is a set limit I think but a club can apply to spend more if they can prove that their finances are in pretty good shape. Not sure if that's still in force though :?

When a team gets promoted they do keep a reasonable amount of players but they look to add experienced and established SL players and Aussies. They do miss out on some of the quality players on the market though due to the fact that when they have clinched promotion and are assured SL status for the coming year and can plan their budget accordingly, a lot of the players have already been snapped up by other SL clubs.

Evil Homer

Staff member
With the Salary Cap I think you are allowed to spend half your income on wages,but you cant have 20 players on more than £20,000.This basically means the big 4(or 5) will generally always be there as they have the biggest crowds so can spend most,but they cant sign all the young talent from other SL clubs as they cant pay them more than £20,000.The reason Wakefield and Huddersfield are generally doing well is because even though they have quite small crowds compared to the big 5 they spent their money well and managed to get good players for cheap,so the system really encourages bargain buys instead of the best players,kinda like a fantasy competition.

GB Lion

Juniors
Halifax since Super League began were in debt. The players that left were offered a much better deal and a bigger club that were going somewhere.

eg. Dunnemann to Leeds ( Big 4 team) (ran the show every week for fax)
Tickle to Wigan ( again Big 4)
Cardiss to Warrington ( Club that were going somewhere)

They had a good selection of youngsters like Tickle, Donlan, Hodgson and others who were snapped up by bigger clubs who offered them a better Financial future.

Wigan at the Moment have a great selection of youngsters to pick from. This is down to Dean Bell, Ged Byrne and others who snap them up at a young age and develop them.

Leeds also have a strong youth system that has produced players like McGuire, Sinfield, Burrow, Diskin, Walker, Ward etc.

After 7 years in the Wilderness of NFP, i am seriouly happy that Widnes are in SL

I might watch the Game in which we got into SL?

Evil Homer said:
LESStar58 said:
Which teams actually play in the English First Division? Any info were I can look it up?

It is a 10 team comp at the moment.

The teams are

Leigh Centurions
Whitehaven
Halifax
Doncaster Dragons
Oldham Roughyeds
Rochdale Hornets
Keighly Cougars
Hull K.R.
Featherstone Rovers
Batley Bulldogs