What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do long-term deals ever succeed

President Trump

Juniors
Whenever I think of the longer contracts that NRL players have been signed to, it seems to me that few, if any of these, ever work out well in the end. For example:

Terry Campese signed for 5 years at Canberra. Then his knee gives way.
Brent Sherwin - 5 years at Canterbury. From memory he ended up in reserves then released early.
Brett Kimmorley - 5 years at Cronulla. Hated for pushing out Preston Campbell and the Sharks only made the finals once (2005). Ended up losing the captaincy to Paul Gallen
Daly Cherry-Evans - 8 years at Manly. Mixed performance.
Michael Witt - 5 years at Parramatta. Released early.
Todd Carney - 5 years at Cronulla. Sacked within a year.
Michael Jennings - 5 years at Penrith, released in year 2.

Do long-term deals make players too lazy?

aqua_duck

Coach
I think most clubs that do it don't realistically think it'll 'work' and that player will perform for the entire contract, I think it's more a case of trying to spread out the contract rather than obliterating their cap

some11

Referee
Taumalolo and Cherry-Evans are worth it.

They need to show they can have more very good games than average games for 2-3 years before doing a deal like that though.

firechild

First Grade
Taumalolo and Cherry-Evans are worth it.

They need to show they can have more very good games than average games for 2-3 years before doing a deal like that though.
This. Jennings and Carney had histories of poor attitude. The others, with the exception of Kimmorley weren't really standout players so probably not worth the gamble. I don't think anyone doubts Taumololo's value so far and DCE was really only stifled by Barrett's terrible game plans. Even the culture issues with DCE and QLD seem to have evaporated now that Smith is gone.

No surprise that most of them are halves with clubs desperate to lock some talent in at 6 or 7 to build a team around. Also looking at the clubs that signed the players you've listed, with the exception of Manly, were struggling at the time they signed these players.

mxlegend99

Referee
Panthers threw a few 5 years deals around...

Matt Moylan. Gone with 4 years left on his cobtract
Bryce Cartwright . Likewise.
Sam Mckendry. Serious season ending injuries every year of his deal
Dean Whare. Coming off ACL injuries and hamstring issues Gus gives him a 5 year deal. Has never been the same since
Reagan Campbell-Gillard... breaks his jaw and becomes scared of contact. Not an issue for a front rower though luckily.

So yeah... not a fan of 5 year deals. The player is guaranteed his salary. The club is not guaranteed form though. How often does a player on a 5 year deal improve so it's the club who has gotten the better end of the deal?

Johns Magic

Referee
Phil Gould was handing out long-term deals like napkins at one stage. It was when he was trying to promote the warm fuzzy “build from within” image he was after for Penrith.

It was never going to work and didn’t.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Phil Gould was handing out long-term deals like napkins at one stage. It was when he was trying to promote the warm fuzzy “build from within” image he was after for Penrith.

It was never going to work and didn’t.

Nathan Cleary's 5 year extension is the biggest risk. Our whole short term future is reliant on him becoming an elite half. There are so many question marks over his game right now.

It can be a risk when the player is young and has only shown signs of ability. If they have a lazier attitude, they can become overly comfortable and not push on and develop. It is why many clubs don't do long term contracts. Only player I can recall the Roosters have given a 5 year contact to in the last 20-30 years was Brad Fittler when he was signed for the 1996 season. Otherwise the standard contracts are for between 1-3 years, with only the top tier players who are still in their prime, who have proven themselves, given 4 years.

VirgilTracy

Juniors
Also worth pointing out that clubs generally give such long-term deals because some other club has made a better offer over a shorter term. Personally I'd never sign anyone for more than 4 years. Even then it would need to be a very special case because that's a lifetime in pro sport.