What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dobson to return?

shear_joy9

Coach
Dobson could quit Super League for Raiders
Former halfback Michael Dobson could be back in a Canberra Raiders jersey next season if he can gain an early release from Super League club Hull KR.

The Canberra Times can reveal Dobson's manager David Riolo has approached Raiders management about signing his client.
While the club's coaching staff and management are yet to formally discuss bringing the 23-year-old back, they are strongly considering him.
The Raiders still don't have a halfback for next season, with Josh McCrone, Marc Herbert and Michael Picker all off contract.
The club still isn't convinced any of those three are viable long-term options.
Dobson remained coy about the prospect of joining the Raiders when contacted by The Canberra Times last night, but admitted returning to Australia was enticing.
''I haven't heard anything from back home, but I'd definitely look at the option if it was to pop up,'' Dobson said.
''I'm contracted over here, so obviously it all depends on the club here as well.
''I would love to come home at some stage. It's just a matter of the timing really.
''It really depends on the situation here and whether I get an opportunity from a club back home.''
Riolo is currently in France on business and will visit Dobson in England next week.
''I'll speak to him when he's here and I suppose if a club is interested in me I'm sure he'll let me know,'' Dobson said.
Dobson remains in contact with several former Raiders teammates.
He has told them he is eager to return to Australia and prove he can make it in the NRL.
While he has enjoyed playing for the Robins, he is also sick of living in Hull, where he has been based since he was released by the Raiders in May 2008. Dobson played 20 games for the Raiders between 2007 and 2008, but fell out of favour with former coach Neil Henry, whose preferred halves combination was Todd Carney and Terry Campese.
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/new...ld-quit-super-league-for-raiders/1815779.aspx

I'd take him back. He's in excellent form for hull and his defence has improved alot since he was with canberra. I can't see hull releasing him though.

Last edited:

aussies1st

Staff member
Wish he could join us this season. Will management have enough balls to admit they made a mistake when releasing?

skeepe

Immortal
Wish he could join us this season. Will management have enough balls to admit they made a mistake when releasing?

From all reports, the release of Dobson was down to one man entirely: Neil Henry.

Furner rates Dobson far higher than Henry ever did.

aussies1st

Staff member
That was the main reason but Furner was basically in charge by the time he was released. I'm pretty sure I remember reading he had the choice to keep Dobson.

shear_joy9

Coach
Furner rates Dobson far higher than Henry ever did.

says who?
dobson has contacted canberra not the other way.

This looks to be an identical situation to the michael mongahan one. A former local, one of the few players in the world that actually wants to play for/in canberra, is better than the current players; but the furner's+co reject, to instead push on with tried and failed alternatives. (and to save money for more backrowers)

Timbo

Staff member
Oh dear god please please PLEASE!

He is the organizer we desperately need inside of Campese. We only let him go because of the Carney/Campese combination. His short kicking game is top notch and most importantly he can run a side and let his #6 create.

He'd also be inside the top 3 goalkickers in the competition.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Campese will look a TRILLION times better with Dobson in the halfback position. Please somehow get him Raiders.

shear_joy9

Coach
the main problem though is that both are 1st receivers. Dobson also, like campese plays on the left side of the ruck.

skeepe

Immortal
says who?
dobson has contacted canberra not the other way.

This looks to be an identical situation to the michael mongahan one. A former local, one of the few players in the world that actually wants to play for/in canberra, is better than the current players; but the furner's+co reject, to instead push on with tried and failed alternatives. (and to save money for more backrowers)

Wow. Nowhere in the article does it mention ANY of that.

It does, however, mention in the article that Furner rates Dobson higher than Henry did.

But hey, ignore the facts and keep up the tinfoil hattery.

deal.with.it

Juniors
if you're a half back, it only takes an off season to change the side of the field u play. Matter of fact, any position.
I play half back and sometimes i change the side i play on each game, depending on the opposition. Sayin u can only play on one side is bullsh*t. Do u really think that nrl players have plated on the one side their whole careers? From juniors to nrl. Just sign dobson and get a decent halfback.

aussies1st

Staff member
the main problem though is that both are 1st receivers. Dobson also, like campese plays on the left side of the ruck.

Well that should get rid of our dreaded double halves structure. Campese should be a 2nd receiver, all 5/8s are best with more room. Just having a half command the ball close to every ball would be a good start.

shear_joy9

Coach
Wow. Nowhere in the article does it mention ANY of that.

you mean besides the first line?

Dobson's manager David Riolo has approached Raiders management about signing his client

It does, however, mention in the article that Furner rates Dobson higher than Henry did.

where??
It says this:
but fell out of favour with former coach Neil Henry
it says nothing about furner.

But hey, ignore the facts and keep up the tinfoil hattery.

you really are a f*ckwit

skeepe

Immortal
you mean besides the first line?

Quotes from Dobson himself in the article state that he hasn't had any contact with the Raiders.

where??
It says this:
it says nothing about furner.

That's because you're going off half an article. The print version is longer and has more details. I don't have the Canberra Times with me at the moment, but reading it this morning it clearly stated what I have said.

Maybe don't go off half-cocked without the full picture next time?

you really are a f*ckwit

Coming from a pretend supporter like you that's a badge of honour, cheers.

shear_joy9

Coach
Quotes from Dobson himself in the article state that he hasn't had any contact with the Raiders.

but his manager has on his behalf, at his request I'm sure.

That's because you're going off half an article. The print version is longer and has more details. I don't have the Canberra Times with me at the moment, but reading it this morning it clearly stated what I have said.

Maybe don't go off half-cocked without the full picture next time?

Furner isn't going to bag a player in the press. For all we know Furner wanted Dobson gone as much as Henry.

Coming from a pretend supporter like you that's a badge of honour, cheers.

according to you anyone who simply disagrees with management or accepts a refereeing decision against canberra is a pretend supporter.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
why do we keep trying to lure ex players...we didnt improve with him here and we arent going too. He isnt the answer and he never was.

Timbo

Staff member
why do we keep trying to lure ex players...we didnt improve with him here and we arent going too. He isnt the answer and he never was.

No, we looked very, very good with him here and he was forced out due to Henry wanting a Carney/Campese halves combo, rather than a Dobson/Carney combo and Campese at lock.

His short kicking game is the best we had since Stick. His goalkicking was on par with Schif.

Since he's gone overseas, his long kicking and defence have improved out of sight and last season he won the Albert Goldthorpe Medal, which is a recently introduced award intended to be a parallell to the Dally M (ie - voted on by the media).

Check out any Hull KR games you can on 9 or Fox... He's going great guns.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
his defense sucked when he was here..and he is without a doubt the slowest player ive ever seen.

Dont get me wrong Id love for him to return and be a success, I just think he wont.

skeepe

Immortal
but his manager has on his behalf, at his request I'm sure.

Possibly. More likely is that Dobson told his manager to find him an NRL club, and the Raiders were one of those clubs contacted. But it's all speculation and neither of us know.

Furner isn't going to bag a player in the press. For all we know Furner wanted Dobson gone as much as Henry.

There were no quotes from Furner at all. Just a statement that it was known that Furner rated Dobson higher than Henry did. Stop searching for excuses.

according to you anyone who simply disagrees with management or accepts a refereeing decision against canberra is a pretend supporter.

Not at all. But someone who has never, ever posted a single thing that wasn't completely negative of the club, and even when there's some positive news manages to twist it into a negative, even if that involves drawing a very long bow, well that qualifies, IMO.

Perth Red

Post Whore
He played very well for the Robins last year and a big part of their 4th place finish. This year without Cooke inside him he has looked a lot less effective. Will still be a big loss for HKR though and should go well with Campese next to him.

Latest posts