What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does anybody actually hope Australia lose to England?

Yngwie_70

Juniors
I am kind of hoping for an Australia loss against England if only to have less of a clear cut favourite for the WC. I know this might sound unpatriotic but if Australia wins ver comfortably I am afraid the writing will be on the wall. How much will they punish PNG by is anyones guess. Anyway, will have to wait and see.

The Partisan

I don't hope they lose but wouldn't be shattered if they did. Would give the comp a shake and possibly put some egg on the faces of those predicting an Aussie whitewash.

JW

Coach
I understand where people are coming from with regards to this, and wanting Australia's dominance to end as soon as possible for the alleged "good of the game".

But the flip side is that its this exact attitude that gives off the perception that Rugby League lacks passion and credibility on the world stage. We often talk about the media's poor attitude towards internationals, but this topic is where the fans fall short in my opinion.

People need to see this World Cup for what it is - a building block for the future. Who wins or loses overall doesn't mean squat at this stage when you look at the bigger picture. Apart from the fact that fortunes in sport generally work in cycles, notable strides have been made in recent times to improve our game internationally and give more opportunities to lesser nations. This work will continue to be done despite any attempts by the media to shape peoples opinions to the contrary, and eventually the results will speak for themselves with a much more solid, workable and indeed competitive international scene.

In the meantime, supporters need to get behind their nations and not let up. As Australians, we need to influence each other and the broader public by getting behind the Roos in the same way we do for our other national teams - making going to see the Roos decked out in your green and gold and Aussie flags one of the "in-things" to do.

All the rest will take care of itself over time.

But for those of you who choose to set aside national pride for the sake of a faster change in perception of our international game, although I understand where you're coming from, I believe it does the situation no favours. Plus, you're missing out on what the World Cup and supporting your country is all about.