What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does anyone here play chess?

undertaker

Coach
Just curious to know if there's any chess enthusiasts here on this forum?
I used to play at tournament level regularly until I was 16 (haven't played in a comp for 10 yrs). I will be entering one early next year and would be good if I could get some practice before then.

Fordy20

Juniors
I've got a few of my mates back into chess. We needed a cross device app for our phones, so we signed up with Chess.com and downloaded their app. You can play all sorts of people online or just play your mates. It has a tactics trainer, but on the free account it only gives you three puzzles a day, so if tactics puzzles are your thing check out Chess Tempo. I'd really like an app that let's you start a game after a traditional opening, but I haven't found that yet.

Once we've got enough people playing we're going to see about starting a white collar chess boxing tournament. If you do sign up with Chess.com, PM me your username and we'll have a match.

Last edited:

jargan83

Coach
Used to play heaps but haven't really played in the past few years

Might sign up for that chess.com site though, might help get through work when it gets a bit quiet!

gUt

Coach
I like gameknot because the games aren't real-time, you can take days to make a move if you want.

undertaker

Coach
Good to see some responses in this thread. I thought it would fall on deaf ears.

RE: Fordy20 and gUt, I will definitely try to have a game with you guys when I get more free time. Been a bit busy in recent times helping my parents.

RE: jargan83, online chess definitely helped me get through some very stressful times during my last semester of my masters degree last year. I definitely find it more intellectually stimulating than watching the myriad of tv clips from Asia that most of the students in my class used to watch in the computer lab during breaks (although some of them are funny if you can understand the language, in my case, Chinese).

But yeah, I have got back into playing chess in a big way this year after sporadically playing it since I finished high school. As I said, I used to play at tournament level circa 1998-2003, but have pretty much been in competitive oblivion since 2003 (maybe that teacher's strike in 2004 which curtailed the annual school challenge we had with Orange High was the bad omen:lol:, as my chess team prepared bloody hard for that event only for it to be called off due to the stupid labor unions).

Oh, and finally regarding tactics (openings moreso, as those who have played regularly will be accustomed to the names of openings), what are your favourites? I generally have an aggressive style, like to take risks and hence am a big fan of gambits. King's Gambit is my favourite and have a good % win rate with it as white. Blackmar-Diemer gambit, Smith-Morra gambit and Danish gambits are also great for white if black accepts. Regarding black, Englund Gambit, Elephant Gambit and Latvian Gambits, although effective, can lead to extremely complicated set-ups if you don't play them correctly.

And if you have absolutely no idea what the hell I was talking about in that previous paragraph with those opening names, just google it and you'll get your answer (providing you understand how to read algebraic notation).

Last edited:

gUt

Coach
I don't know about chess theory, I try to maintain a mid-1400's range. My main strategy is to secure the middle of the board with forward pawns and then wait for my opponent to make a mistake. I find this doesn't really trouble players rated 1550 and above but below that it usually makes for a tight game.

My mid game is basically attrition in exchange for position, my end game kind of sucks.

gorilla

First Grade
www.chessworld.net

I've been on this site for aboput 8 or 9 years - the first one or two as a nonpaying guest.

Costs about US$25 (but is British site).

I play as yodellinggroilla

Latest posts