What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does Latrell play if available? Where? Next contract offer?

Given how strongly you are going lately, I was just wondering if anyone would select Latrell if he suddenly became available.

Do you mess with this side or chuck him in somewhere ( if so, where?)

Whispers about 2 more years with Souths are gathering momentum, but I’m also not sure what the offer should be. Increase? Decrease? Same?

Any thoughts from the Souths LU panel?

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Given how strongly you are going lately, I was just wondering if anyone would select Latrell if he suddenly became available.

Do you mess with this side or chuck him in somewhere ( if so, where?)

Whispers about 2 more years with Souths are gathering momentum, but I’m also not sure what the offer should be. Increase? Decrease? Same?

Any thoughts from the Souths LU panel?
1. Of course he goes in, just not sure how Bennett would manage it. Based on their recent and current play, and overall team balance, you'd leave Allan at the back, put Latrell at left centre, move Gagai to the right wing, where he'd been up until a month ago, and switch Paulo out. Paulo is the weak link, I know he's just a kid, but he's not up to scratch right now.

Now that is a hell backline.

But Bennett is absolutely set on Latrell playing fullback, so I imagine he'd put him at the back, Corey Allan to right wing in place of Paulo, and leave Gagai on the left side.

Bennett seems to really like Gagai on the left and Campbell Graham on the right, even though for the last two or so years they've played the other way around.

2. They are definitely trying to extend Latrell, and so they should. Probably for the same money, or maybe the first year same money, next year (2022) more money, where Souths have quite a lot of money coming off the books after 2021.

Latrell is a major piece, and needs to be signed long term. He is a damn good footballer, brilliant skills and hands. He copped a lot of sh!+ and I don't think the basis of most of it was football related (IMO stems back to last year's SOO and the "anthem" thing, plus whispers of leaving the Roosters who then put out a negative propaganda campaign against him). He's still learning his position, but was starting to look real good right before the injury. Needs to improve his positioning in attack at the back edge of the ruck, following Cookie, Cody and Murray, and needs work under the high ball.

There was a story that James Roberts is on the outer. He's got a year left on his contract, same as Gagai. Bennett won't be the coach after that, and it was Bennett who brought him over. You'd have to take Gagai at the moment, but on a lesser amount than he's currently getting

Travitoh

First Grade
He still plays FB imo. He was growing into the position before his injury and had some very nice touches. Souths should want him in a position to get his hands on the footy as much as possible.
I would like to see his workrate continue to increase - not because i expect him to run 200m every week but because it means he is seeing more of the footy and getting more opportunity to make something happen.

A two year bridge deal for a small increase seems about right to me. Gives him an opportunity to get a couple of seasons at FB under his belt and get paid with term in his next deal should he prove himself.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
He still plays FB imo. He was growing into the position before his injury and had some very nice touches. Souths should want him in a position to get his hands on the footy as much as possible.
I would like to see his workrate continue to increase - not because i expect him to run 200m every week but because it means he is seeing more of the footy and getting more opportunity to make something happen.

A two year bridge deal for a small increase seems about right to me. Gives him an opportunity to get a couple of seasons at FB under his belt and get paid with term in his next deal should he prove himself.
Well said, totally agree.

1. Of course he goes in, just not sure how Bennett would manage it. Based on their recent and current play, and overall team balance, you'd leave Allan at the back, put Latrell at left centre, move Gagai to the right wing, where he'd been up until a month ago, and switch Paulo out. Paulo is the weak link, I know he's just a kid, but he's not up to scratch right now.

Now that is a hell backline.

But Bennett is absolutely set on Latrell playing fullback, so I imagine he'd put him at the back, Corey Allan to right wing in place of Paulo, and leave Gagai on the left side.

Bennett seems to really like Gagai on the left and Campbell Graham on the right, even though for the last two or so years they've played the other way around.

2. They are definitely trying to extend Latrell, and so they should. Probably for the same money, or maybe the first year same money, next year (2022) more money, where Souths have quite a lot of money coming off the books after 2021.

Latrell is a major piece, and needs to be signed long term. He is a damn good footballer, brilliant skills and hands. He copped a lot of sh!+ and I don't think the basis of most of it was football related (IMO stems back to last year's SOO and the "anthem" thing, plus whispers of leaving the Roosters who then put out a negative propaganda campaign against him). He's still learning his position, but was starting to look real good right before the injury. Needs to improve his positioning in attack at the back edge of the ruck, following Cookie, Cody and Murray, and needs work under the high ball.

There was a story that James Roberts is on the outer. He's got a year left on his contract, same as Gagai. Bennett won't be the coach after that, and it was Bennett who brought him over. You'd have to take Gagai at the moment, but on a lesser amount than he's currently getting

Problem with Mitchell was he was shopping himself around before the finals - had the split with his manager - of course it didn't go down well with Uncle Nick and Robbo who bent over backwards to accommodate him- how could he expect to play FB with Tedesco in that position?