What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

does melbourne get a home final now for winning?

Alan Shore

First Grade
Misty Bee said:
Tamazoid said:
Impellitteri said:
Tamazoid said:
Impellitteri said:
olympic park said:
if we dont we at least deserve it!!

we have defied the odds (and the critics) and beaten one of the most in-form teams of this year!! and i wouldnt be surprised if we got close to 18,000 (capacity) for a home final at olympic park!!!

if someone can please explain this ridiculous macintyre system from the 2nd week on this would be much appreciated!

thanks
OP

I would be surprised if they got 13 max.....if Melbournians cared for league they would have supported the Storm in the last few weeks of the season when they were guaranteeing themselves a chance......fact is AFL rules in Melbourne and will to the end

So what? Doesn't prevent us from making inroads like the Swan ballerinas in Sydney with the latte set.

There's a difference between the sporting environments and minds of Sydney and Melbourne......here in Sydney we are a little more open minded about other sports and we don't really follow any one sport like a religion unlike in Melbourne.......Melbourne won't accept any other sport because AFL is their sport and will always be..........you can't justify Melbourne's existence by saying that the Swans are making "inroads".......they are two different cities and two drastically different mindsets.........

It's people with the same mindset running the game as you who don't care a tad about expansion and wouldn't care less if AFL took over. Fact is we can take a huge slice of Melbourne through proper promotion. Follow the NSWRL or Jim Beam Cup if you're interested in suburban footy.

Ehat an absurd reply? What Impelliteri wrote was true - Melbourne is only interested in AFL. Everything else is a novelty. You see it best in the attitude of the media down there.

Sure, promotion would help. But it's not all the NRl promotions department's fault. The melbourne sports press gallery and their editors take a huge chunk of blame, as to, in the end, Melbourne sports fans. They choose NOT to associate themselves with the storm, despite their success.

How can you support something that you don't know about?

Once Dead

Bench
Misty Bee said:
Tamazoid said:
Impellitteri said:
Tamazoid said:
Impellitteri said:
olympic park said:

we have defied the odds (and the critics) and beaten one of the most in-form teams of this year!! and i wouldnt be surprised if we got close to 18,000 (capacity) for a home final at olympic park!!!

if someone can please explain this ridiculous macintyre system from the 2nd week on this would be much appreciated!

thanks
OP

I would be surprised if they got 13 max.....if Melbournians cared for league they would have supported the Storm in the last few weeks of the season when they were guaranteeing themselves a chance......fact is AFL rules in Melbourne and will to the end

So what? Doesn't prevent us from making inroads like the Swan ballerinas in Sydney with the latte set.

There's a difference between the sporting environments and minds of Sydney and Melbourne......here in Sydney we are a little more open minded about other sports and we don't really follow any one sport like a religion unlike in Melbourne.......Melbourne won't accept any other sport because AFL is their sport and will always be..........you can't justify Melbourne's existence by saying that the Swans are making "inroads".......they are two different cities and two drastically different mindsets.........

It's people with the same mindset running the game as you who don't care a tad about expansion and wouldn't care less if AFL took over. Fact is we can take a huge slice of Melbourne through proper promotion. Follow the NSWRL or Jim Beam Cup if you're interested in suburban footy.

Ehat an absurd reply? What Impelliteri wrote was true - Melbourne is only interested in AFL. Everything else is a novelty. You see it best in the attitude of the media down there.

Sure, promotion would help. But it's not all the NRl promotions department's fault. The melbourne sports press gallery and their editors take a huge chunk of blame, as to, in the end, Melbourne sports fans. They choose NOT to associate themselves with the storm, despite their success.

How much money does the AFL pump into the Swans?.....and its a hell of a lot less of a hostile environment compared to Melbourne........so the NRL would have to pump at least 3 times what News already does into Melbourne to get it to be even a shadow of what the Swans have done.....

Expansion sucks ok especially if its a freakin bash your head against the wall excercise in a place where you will never make any notable headway......it is people like you who sbring up the fact that i should go and support JB or PL and when guys like you - expansion apologists tell me to do that it shows how narrow minded you are.....i'm a realist - Melbourne will not, make that never be successful......it is stupid comments like yours about suburban football that make me wish that your Melbourne Storm die a horrible death when News suddenly says that Melbourne is a waste of their time and money.......VIVA LA GOLD COAST STORM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AFL has always OWNED Melbourne and Victoria........and will always till the day the Earth shuts up shop.........

Alan Shore

First Grade
Impellitteri said:
Misty Bee said:
Tamazoid said:
Impellitteri said:
Tamazoid said:
Impellitteri said:
olympic park said:

thanks
OP

How much money does the AFL pump into the Swans?.....and its a hell of a lot less of a hostile environment compared to Melbourne........so the NRL would have to pump at least 3 times what News already does into Melbourne to get it to be even a shadow of what the Swans have done.....

Expansion sucks ok especially if its a freakin bash your head against the wall excercise in a place where you will never make any notable headway......it is people like you who sbring up the fact that i should go and support JB or PL and when guys like you - expansion apologists tell me to do that it shows how narrow minded you are.....i'm a realist - Melbourne will not, make that never be successful......it is stupid comments like yours about suburban football that make me wish that your Melbourne Storm die a horrible death when News suddenly says that Melbourne is a waste of their time and money.......VIVA LA GOLD COAST STORM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AFL has always OWNED Melbourne and Victoria........and will always till the day the Earth shuts up shop.........

You're just a behind the times idiot who couldn't care less if AFL took over NSW & QLD or if rugby league became as minor on the world stage as la crosse.

If the NRL put 20% of the money the AFL puts into the Swans it will be a success. All the groundwork is there - consistent 10,000 crowds with absolutely NO promotion, advertising or junior development whatsoever. They ALREADY have two VIC bred juniors.....

Alan Shore

First Grade
storm007 said:
If the Swans Play the Lions in the AFL next week, How much will they promote it like SOO?

Exactly. We need some aggressive NRL admin who will take the fight to the AFL.

Once Dead

Bench
Tamazoid said:
Impellitteri said:
Misty Bee said:
Tamazoid said:
Impellitteri said:
Tamazoid said:
Impellitteri said:
olympic park said:

thanks
OP

You're just a behind the times idiot who couldn't care less if AFL took over NSW & QLD or if rugby league became as minor on the world stage as la crosse.

If the NRL put 20% of the money the AFL puts into the Swans it will be a success. All the groundwork is there - consistent 10,000 crowds with absolutely NO promotion, advertising or junior development whatsoever. They ALREADY have two VIC bred juniors.....

Tell me how Melbourne having a place in the NRL will stop NSW and QLD from being taken over by AFL...............LOL......2 Victorian bred juniors - the next freakin powerhouse when it comes to juniors i say - and tell me, how many games have they actually played?

Consistent 10,000 crowds - come on don't kid yourself......and by the way its lacrosse....not la crosse - i don't stoop to the name calling that Melbourne expansionists do

Alan Shore

First Grade
Impellitteri said:
Tamazoid said:
Impellitteri said:
Misty Bee said:
Tamazoid said:
Impellitteri said:
Tamazoid said:
Impellitteri said:
olympic park said:

thanks
OP

Tell me how Melbourne having a place in the NRL will stop NSW and QLD from being taken over by AFL...............LOL......2 Victorian bred juniors - the next freakin powerhouse when it comes to juniors i say - and tell me, how many games have they actually played?

Consistent 10,000 crowds - come on don't kid yourself......and by the way its lacrosse....not la crosse - i don't stoop to the name calling that Melbourne expansionists do

It will:

*Give the NRL credibility
*Attracts extra sponsors - they don't want to sponsor a 2-state league. Telstra has even said this.
*Gives the AFL something to worry about
*Distract AFL resources to their own backyard

Once Dead

Bench
Tamazoid said:
Impellitteri said:
Tamazoid said:
Impellitteri said:
Misty Bee said:
Tamazoid said:
Impellitteri said:
Tamazoid said:
Impellitteri said:
olympic park said:

thanks
OP

It will:

*Give the NRL credibility
*Attracts extra sponsors - they don't want to sponsor a 2-state league. Telstra has even said this.
*Gives the AFL something to worry about
*Distract AFL resources to their own backyard

LOL, what credibility? The game is a 'National Rugby League' competition yet has an international team involved....lol....adding another team from inside Australia wouldn't add anything to it.....So tell me, a "3 state competition" (effectively a 2 state + another interstate and international team comp) will suddenly make the NRL truly 'national'?.......this is where your arguments, those of Melbourne fans falls down.........if we go by your thinking, S.A and W.A are on par with Melbourne when it comes to importance......at least in South Australia or Western Australia the market wouldn't be as hard headed as the AFL saturated Victorian one......

Telstra can say whatever the hell they want.....lol....fact is, they bought a 2-state league and they can think commercially whatever way they want - but they have an asset that they have blown millions in acquiring and it would be stupid to drop it because they aren't getting their way.....

The AFL don't give a stuff about 10,000 crowds......these people are mainly expats from NSW, QLD etc anyway and the rest were only really half hearted or never really fervent in their support of AFL....so really, a Melbourne Storm game is like a pub - something else for someone to do on a Saturday night when there's nothing else on......

The AFL will not redirect resources.....they have set their sights on expansion and there are several clubs as you know, Victorians clubs that are under financial pressure - but the AFL is directing more funds in the direction of expansion teams.....i hate saying "expansion" teams, its so NFL.........

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
to all the knobs saying that the storm should go,GET A LIFE there here and most rugby league supporters want them here.

also if you want to say that the storm wont get support ever,your wrong.
have you ever had a good look at the people that go to there games?
every time ive seen them play,most of the crowd are young and some are very young(6yrs to 12yrs old) so if you think that the ppl of vic will never get behind THEIR TEAM,think again because this young generation of kids going there now are the new breed of vic sporting fans and they wont listen to the melbourne media as the older generation have for 100 yrs. THINGS CHANGE and so do people and the things they like.

if melbourne are getting small crowds now that are mainly young,doesnt that make the future of the team and the sport in vic look very very good?

heres to the melbourne storm,keep it up and never give in.one day you will have crowds that are bigger than any in sydney but you gotta keep fighting. :)

Alan Shore

First Grade
ParraEelsNRL said:
to all the knobs saying that the storm should go,GET A LIFE there here and most rugby league supporters want them here.

also if you want to say that the storm wont get support ever,your wrong.
have you ever had a good look at the people that go to there games?
every time ive seen them play,most of the crowd are young and some are very young(6yrs to 12yrs old) so if you think that the ppl of vic will never get behind THEIR TEAM,think again because this young generation of kids going there now are the new breed of vic sporting fans and they wont listen to the melbourne media as the older generation have for 100 yrs. THINGS CHANGE and so do people and the things they like.

if melbourne are getting small crowds now that are mainly young,doesnt that make the future of the team and the sport in vic look very very good?

heres to the melbourne storm,keep it up and never give in.one day you will have crowds that are bigger than any in sydney but you gotta keep fighting. :)

Well said.

Simo

First Grade
UndertakerMike said:
sullyfan said:
I think home finals should continue through until the Grand Final. Back in 1998 we had a farcical situation where we had a Brisbane-Melbourne semi at the SFS.
How about this years Worriors / Storm (grand) final.

What would be the crowd then :?: :?: :?: :roll:

Actually there was only about 5,000 tickets to the GF left about 2 weeks ago. So the GF will be a sellout no matter who is playing.

The preliminary finals are another story.

Latest posts