What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dogs 3 2 1s

Valheru

Coach
Well it was a win... so that's something at least.

For me the biggest positive was that they came back 3 times throughout the game. We were at the stage where losing was going to become a habit (if it hadn't already) and confidence was at rock bottom so sometimes you just need wins like this to start turning that around.

Overall everyone at least looked interested which was a nice change but the heads well and truly dropped after their first flukey try and they scored straight way again thereafter and I was borderline depressed. Keary and Teddy then stepped up to steady the ship and they were able to get the job done. We are still well off the pace but it is a start and anything can happen in this tight competition.

After the rubbish he copped this week due to one sub par origin performance out of 20, it was nice to see Teddy bounce back and carry the team on his back. He may not be what he was a few years ago but he is still a top line player. Of course the peanut gallery thinks it doesn't count because it was only the Bulldogs.

Rugby Joe had his best game in a while running the ball hard and I'm not surprised that co-incided with spending some time on the wing. He is a woeful defensive centre.

I thought young Pauga had an auspicious debut, I was very impressed. I had heard he was killing it in reggies. He added enthusiasm and speed to our backline. He ran the ball hard for over 150m and was super safe under some testing bombs by Burton. He made one unfortunate error but that happens. It was nice to see him get a try and he is well worth persevering with. Corey Allen meanwhile looks a fish out of water, i know he was only ever meant to be a depth signing but the sooner he isn't in the side the better.

I think we can officially end the Manu at 6 experiment at this point. In a game where there were a lot of points and attack, I barely noticed him, he just isn't a 6. This isn't a crack on Robbo or anyone else as it was worth a try and plenty of people including myself called for it but it hasn't worked and that's ok. He needs to be put back to centre. I know Walker is still a couple of weeks away but may as well try Sandon Smith who looked ok in the 15 minutes he had in the meantime.

Turpin I thought had a good game at 9 making 50 tackles in the middle of the park only missing 1. His service was decent and he added a bit of craft with some grubbers etc. I wonder if we move Smith to the forwards when he returns and leave Turpin there?

3 Teddy
2 Pauga
1 JWH

Penrith next at SFS and playing well at the SFS is one thing we have done right this season. No better time to get them with half their squad being in the middle of an origin campaign and Cleary being out.

I still don't expect us to a win but I damn sure expect a much better performance than when we played them last time and even in a loss it could build a platform going forward.

I find Manu’s current form at No 6 a mystery TBH. I thought he covered well for an injured Luke Keary last season and thought it only logical he’d continue that form this year. He’s got the qualities needed such as vision, speed and a handy step plus strength but he’s been practically anonymous. He’s either carrying an injury or (and I fear this is the case) it‘s a symptom of what’s currently going on at the club with everyone down on confidence. Anyway, he’ll remain there while injuries and lack of depth continues to take a toll on our club.

@Valheru agree with your thoughts on Turpin. My initial thoughts were it would be good for him to share the hooker role at least in the short term, with Cheese like Watson was supposed to do but moving Smith to the forwards for sure. Prefer lock with Vic re learning his trade in reggies for a spell. And yes, young Pauga looked great too and didn’t look out of place in first grade. Keary looks his old best when he takes the line on. Is he getting his confidence back? More of that please. Great to see Teddy bounce back and Sitilli getting better and better with every game.

Recovering from a two try deficit is a hopeful sign of recovery although let’s be honest, it was against another struggling club.

3 Teddy
2 Keary
1 Pauga

Penrith. Our new Manly. I just want to see decent effort and pride in the jersey and not fussed at the result. As I said before, I’m not looking at nor am I giving a shit about the eight atm. One week at a time for me.

Valheru

Coach
I find Manu’s current form at No 6 a mystery TBH. I thought he covered well for an injured Luke Keary last season and thought it only logical he’d continue that form this year. He’s got the qualities needed such as vision, speed and a handy step plus strength but he’s been practically anonymous. He’s either carrying an injury or (and I fear this is the case) it‘s a symptom of what’s currently going on at the club with everyone down on confidence. Anyway, he’ll remain there while injuries and lack of depth continues to take a toll on our club.

I'm hoping it's a niggling injury. Although we weren't particularly competent, the team for the most part was very enthusiastic on Sunday even if confidence is low

Either way, next week is D-Day with the halves because Joey will go to FB given Teddy won't be there and rugby Joe is suspended. I believe Walker will be ready so if he doesn't get picked then his papers are stamped. If he is legit not ready I guess we go with Hutch who is ok against lower quality opposition but I would prefer to give S Smith a crack.

I think some of Suaalii's defensive problems have been exacerbated by him being moved over to the right hand side since Manu moved to five eight. He'd spent the pre-season and earlioer in the season building a good combination with Tupou over on the left. As the right hand side tends to get more of the opposition's attack forcused there, thus the righ hand side centre having a heavier defensive workload, combined with the lack of confidence which has effected the team, have exacerbated some of Joey's defenisve issues.

I'm hoping it's a niggling injury. Although we weren't particularly competent, the team for the most part was very enthusiastic on Sunday even if confidence is low

Either way, next week is D-Day with the halves because Joey will go to FB given Teddy won't be there and rugby Joe is suspended. I believe Walker will be ready so if he doesn't get picked then his papers are stamped. If he is legit not ready I guess we go with Hutch who is ok against lower quality opposition but I would prefer to give S Smith a crack.

In rtelation to Walker, it will depend on whether Robbo think he's done enough to address the issues he has identified that he wants Walker to work on. Don't forget he went into an elimination final in 2017 with two makeshift centres (i.e. Matterson and Aubusson) rather than recall somone to first grade who had been dropped for similar reasons (i.e. Manu). As such him not being selected does not necessarily mean "his papers have been stamped". Don't treat all the gossip being reported by News Ltd as fact. You'll enjoy better health :)

H.H

Juniors
I missed the game live and all I heard was hysterical commentary from my mates and Twitter etc about how diabolical we were.

I watched the replay back on Tuesday and I think there's something to be said for being able to watch a game without emotion, as I didn't think it was THAT bad.

Sure it wasn't great and those errors from Brown and Gus were just terrible and hurt us badly, but overall I reckon we dominated large parts of that game without being able to ice it, which I have seen from us many times over the years. Sure it was against another struggling club, but more positives than negatives for me.

3 - Ted
2 - Pauga
1 - JWH