What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dogs Fans...

Serious question...

I keep hearing about the change of scenery with players moving in and out of the club throughout the last twelve months. Throughout the last few years you've welcomed the exit of players like Mason, Anasta, Williams, Maitua, O'Meley and sometimes Thurston.

Your club didn't really have any tough years other than last year, and it's obvious how much has changed.

Do any of you these days still remember these were the blokes who put in a huge amount to win you guys the 2004 premiership? The image of the club that year was obviously not the best but they got the job done.

Do Bulldogs fans enjoy having the pre-mentioned players as a central part of their modern history?

My wording for all of that may have been quite sh*te...

typicalfan

Coach
I think he is asking that despite all the animosity toward some of the Bulldogs past players by their own fans do they still remember them fondly back when they brought success to the club.

Last edited:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Serious question...

I keep hearing about the change of scenery with players moving in and out of the club throughout the last twelve months. Throughout the last few years you've welcomed the exit of players like Mason, Anasta, Williams, Maitua, O'Meley and sometimes Thurston.

Your club didn't really have any tough years other than last year, and it's obvious how much has changed.
Disagree. 2005 was rubbish and 2007, while we made the finals, offered nothing for us as fans. Very disillusioning and led to the debacle that was 2008.
Do any of you these days still remember these were the blokes who put in a huge amount to win you guys the 2004 premiership? The image of the club that year was obviously not the best but they got the job done.

Do Bulldogs fans enjoy having the pre-mentioned players as a central part of their modern history?

I wouldn't say "enjoy" is the term to use. Respect, yes. Those players mentioned may be subjects of derision and laughter today, they played an important role and in most cases were in much better form. Respect them and thanks for their role, but no sympathy for them and the enjoyment is long in the past. In fact, I'd go as far to say that the success corrupted those mentioned in the following years after the premiership and they were never the same.

While those big names you mentioned were some of the more controversial figures, there were players at the time that did and still do earn a lot of respect. The obvious ones are still with us - Patten, Ryan, El Masri and Utai, and others who served us with minimum fuss - Corey Hughes, Steve Price, Tony Grimaldi, Adam Perry etc. Even Willie Tonga.

I'm happy most of the ones you listed are no longer with us, the current environment would not have been possible - and almost all of those departures have been vindicated in one way or another as well.

Not sure what you were asking in the end but I hope the above is the sort of response you were after. I think I waffled a bit.

Yep. I have no idea what you are asking.

:lol: I had a lot of trouble with wording, had that sort of problem lately...however...

I think he is asking that despite all the animosity toward some of the Bulldogs past players by their own fans do they still remember them fondly back when they brought success to the club.

...he nailed it nicely. You're too good TF. :lol:

Disagree. 2005 was rubbish and 2007, while we made the finals, offered nothing for us as fans. Very disillusioning and led to the debacle that was 2008.
Yeah, 2007 could've been a lot worse though still, but I know what you mean.

I wouldn't say "enjoy" is the term to use. Respect, yes. Those players mentioned may be subjects of derision and laughter today, they played an important role and in most cases were in much better form. Respect them and thanks for their role, but no sympathy for them and the enjoyment is long in the past. In fact, I'd go as far to say that the success corrupted those mentioned in the following years after the premiership and they were never the same.
Most of them definitely. Anasta still offers us something great still, yet, is one of the most hated players in the league. I wouldn't say sympathy should be offered to them for moving.

At least those blokes won a premiership, there are some amazing players around today (such as Matty Bowen) who have yet to taste one.

While those big names you mentioned were some of the more controversial figures, there were players at the time that did and still do earn a lot of respect. The obvious ones are still with us - Patten, Ryan, El Masri and Utai, and others who served us with minimum fuss - Corey Hughes, Steve Price, Tony Grimaldi, Adam Perry etc. Even Willie Tonga.

I'm happy most of the ones you listed are no longer with us, the current environment would not have been possible - and almost all of those departures have been vindicated in one way or another as well.
Yes, definitely. Do you still remember the good times in 2004 though as a Canterbury fan, even though the off field behaviour of fans and players was awful?

The Dogs fans could laugh these days at O'Meley's form dump or Anasta's form, but they left Canterbury without much fuss and didn't create controversy whilst there from memory. They both left due to salary cap constraints.

Do Dogs fans think of the good times at all when they see Anasta? I'd say probably not. Our keen example would be Hodges.

Not sure what you were asking in the end but I hope the above is the sort of response you were after. I think I waffled a bit.
As did I. :lol:

Ridders

Coach

I fully understand that fans of opposition teams will always hate those Bulldogs teams because of all the bad press they brought game to the game, but from my perspective, what they did in 04' was nothing short of remarkable. To gauge the Coffs Harbour scandal try and remember what Manly went through with Brett Stewart, and multiply it by 100. Look how the Stewart saga de-railed Manly at the start of this season and compare it with how our guys rallied together a put together a premiership winning campaign.

Now i understand many will say that that win was tainted because of the salary cap scandal the year earlier, but none of that can really be put on the players themselves. Given everything they had to overcome that year, very proud of 2004.

Packy

Bench
OK - Gotcha.

I guess I do still feel some respect or gratitude for some of the players performances during that period. Having said that there were some players I knew I would hate if they played for another team. When they left it merely fulfilled the prophecy so to speak.

I do keep track of these players but I try to keep an eye on all Dogs from the past, even the not so big names.

I fully understand that fans of opposition teams will always hate those Bulldogs teams because of all the bad press they brought game to the game, but from my perspective, what they did in 04' was nothing short of remarkable. To gauge the Coffs Harbour scandal try and remember what Manly went through with Brett Stewart, and multiply it by 100. Look how the Stewart saga de-railed Manly at the start of this season and compare it with how our guys rallied together a put together a premiership winning campaign.

Now i understand many will say that that win was tainted because of the salary cap scandal the year earlier, but none of that can really be put on the players themselves. Given everything they had to overcome that year, very proud of 2004.

Of course, looking back at our season I think there was seven major off-field incidents. Not the best kind of record. Makes us easily hateable. From memory Canterbury started 04 ok but got smashed by us early, came back well.

OK - Gotcha.

I guess I do still feel some respect or gratitude for some of the players performances during that period. Having said that there were some players I knew I would hate if they played for another team. When they left it merely fulfilled the prophecy so to speak.

I do keep track of these players but I try to keep an eye on all Dogs from the past, even the not so big names.

I like this post.

I sit back watching blokes like Hannant and Winterstein, wondering what might've been.

Red Bear

Referee
How could you have anything against O'Meley? Never a controversial figure and seems like a top bloke

Doggiesfan09

Juniors
I have no anymosity (however its spelt) towards any of the players except maybe Maitua who was a grub. Mason was targeted and nothing he ever did deserved to make the papers but because it was him it was front or back page news.

Even Sonny Bill although i dont agree with what he did i cant blame him. The club was very hypocritical IMO carrying on about loyalty and then refused to offer Corey Hughes a one year deal even though he gave his heart and soul to our club .

Loyalty is expected from players by the clubs, then the clubs can just show none in return cause football is deemed a business now , look at the Clint Newton situation in Newcastle and even Finch to an extent, im not surprised so many players are leaving our game and heading to union or the Superleague.

Sorry Rant Finished

ByRd

First Grade
Rugby league is a business so i totally understand players moving on for "better" things. I will always remember 2004 and the sucess that we had (being there that night, one of the best nights of my life). The players did work hard and deserved that GF victory but off the field we were never the greatest and always seemed to have a problem. Players were thinknig they were bigger then the club and seemed to forget about the team and let that title get to there heads.

Off the field now we are much better, there is a better feeling amongst the players and a better feeling around the fans. Those players will always be remembered for 2004 but also alot of other things but i dont hold any big grudges to most of them, Maitua, Sonny Bill & Mason are all dopes and even with the memories it still annoys alot of fans that these guys were apart of the club, given the way they treated the Bulldogs.

ona2001

Juniors
They all got stale long before they left. After 2004 they decided they had nothing more to prove so they just wallowed in their own glory for three years while giving back nothing but heartache. They were all well versed in each other's vices and for the Roosters not to see the writing on the wall by bringing them across en masse was astouding IMO.

They all got stale long before they left. After 2004 they decided they had nothing more to prove so they just wallowed in their own glory for three years while giving back nothing but heartache. They were all well versed in each other's vices and for the Roosters not to see the writing on the wall by bringing them across en masse was astouding IMO.

I had a feeling someone would mention us signing the players. Out of all of the Bulldogs really only Myles has been in any major trouble (Mason minor).

Anasta, Myles and Mason have all had some on-field success too, O'Meley a bit less. I'm happy to have them at the club, don't get me wrong.

2006 was still a good year from your club, so I don't know why it's not mentioned much. They were a half-decent forty minutes away from a Grand Final appearance after all.

Maitua, Sonny Bill & Mason are all dopes and even with the memories it still annoys alot of fans that these guys were apart of the club, given the way they treated the Bulldogs.

Is it just me or is it hard to believe that it was just last year all of the Sydney and Canterbury fans were gearing up for the Willie vs Sonny-Bill grudge match?

ByRd

First Grade
We were but then Sonny bill ended up being worse then Willie. Both grew heads and thought they were bigger then the club. Willie (while not doing anything majorly wrong and i though he was unfairly targeted at times) did have a lazy attitude sometimes and ended up making up a story to get out of the club.

Sonny Bill did the runner in one of the worst ways possible, he deserted the club, players and fans and when both are mentioned it is mixed emotions. Cause they brought so much on filed but ended up being tossers off it.

Bulldog Force

Referee
Serious question...

Even though we do not like most of the players mentioned now, we will never forget the success they brought our club in 2004. Their names will forever be on a parchment for our club in the successful 2004 season and they will forever be apart of the side that brought success to our club that year. I can put on the 2004 Grand Final DVD and say to myself how good O'Meley, Mason, Williams and co were to us back then and enjoy what they did to the opposition and how passionately they played, that's remembering history. So yes, I do enjoy having the pre-mentioned players as a central part of our history.

Ridders

Coach
It's nice to remember O'Meley back when he was more than a player who just surrendered in every hit up.

mongoose

Coach
what about the forward pack they had that year they won

8. O'Meley
9. Perry
10. Price
11. Mason
12. Ryan
13. Grimaldi

14. Asotasi
15. SBW
16. Myles
17. Hughes/Maitua

something along those lines.... anyway that was one scary ass pack

Packy

Bench
For the record I loved and still love O'Meley. He and Asotasi were the ones I really wanted to stay.

SBW kinda burns but most of us are over it.

Maitua dug his own hole. He did come across as the kinda guy that has authority issues, but that it just my perspective.

Anasta didn't do anything wrong other than pull whingy faces.

Mason said some dumb things but he is a football player. I expect that.

Myles got offered good money and a starting spot. Good on him.

Asotasi got great money.

ByRd

First Grade
what about the forward pack they had that year they won

8. O'Meley
9. Perry
10. Price
11. Mason
12. Ryan
13. Grimaldi

14. Asotasi
15. SBW
16. Myles
17. Hughes/Maitua

something along those lines.... anyway that was one scary ass pack
Myles wasnt involved that year.

8. O'Meley
9. Perry
10. Price
11. Mason
12. Ryan
13. Grimaldi

14. Asotasi
15. Maitua
16. Hughes
17. Williams

18. Thurston

That was one scary pack and when i look back at old games, you just see how dominate they were.

Latest posts