What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dogs & St Merge after Hoppa Jnr

mikail-eagle

Bench
This must not be allowed to happen.

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&s...4rGeCg&usg=AFQjCNEBmb-pvhN8byT1IVEN6DSmUSdZAQ

Bulldogs and St George both target Manly teenager William Hopoate

THE Bulldogs have launched another raid on Manly's playing ranks, targeting teenage superstar William Hopoate to counter the loss of Jamal Idris to the Gold Coast.
The Sunday Telegraph has learned that Hopoate met with Bulldogs coach Kevin Moore and the club's recruitment guru Peter Mulholland at Homebush last Tuesday.
Idris signed a five-year deal with the Titans last week.
Hopoate, 18, is among a list of more than 25 stars, collectively worth $7.5 million, still on the open market for next season.
The Bulldogs are not the only club to enter the race for Hopoate, with premiers St George Illawarra also in the hunt for a solution to the anticipated departure of fullback Darius Boyd.
Despite the threat, Manly remain confident of retaining the fullback, whose father John made the Hopoate name famous at the Sea Eagles.
"From our point of view, we're not surprised that other clubs have shown interest in William Hopoate," Manly coach Des Hasler said.

"It's a part of the game and they have handled it professionally.
"Other clubs and other players haven't, so let's give the kid that credit. We think he's an outstanding talent the way that he's been playing, and I am pretty confident of keeping him."
The Bulldogs snuck under the Sea Eagles' guard last season to poach outstanding young halfback Trent Hodkinson and are hoping to tempt Hopoate to Belmore on a three-year deal.
The Sunday Telegraph can also reveal that the club is a whisker away from announcing the signature of English international prop James Graham for the next three seasons.
Bulldogs chief executive Todd Greenberg has also confirmed the club's intention to remain active in the marketplace.
"There are always a number of players floated up to us in regards to recruitment, but from our perspective we prefer to try to do our recruiting behind closed doors," Greenberg said.
The other major player in terms of recruitment is Newcastle following the takeover by billionaire Nathan Tinkler and the arrival of seven-time premiership-winning coach Wayne Bennett next season.
Boyd's agent George Mimis will travel to Newcastle this week to open talks about moving the St George Illawarra fullback north next season and extending the deal of Knights captain Kurt Gidley.

Wobbygong

First Grade
They don't want him dogs are just making sure the manly scummers have to pay overs for the niff nuff.

drago brelli

Bench
I feel sorry for that young Hoppa bloke having a father as dopy as his old man. He seems like a good guy, must be his mother's influence. The Dragons don't need Hoppa. The Illawarra Steelers usually supply Manly with some of their best players, eg; Fulton, Peters, Brett Stewart......etc.

beads6

First Grade
Manly keep losing players, who exactly are they paying the huge dollars to?? Surely young Hoppa will stay, well I hope he does Manly have lost a heap of players over the last few years.

Scarves

Juniors
It's interesting this Salary Cap.

It's interesting that Souths were on their Cap limit, but only had to cut Beau Champion to fit Greg Inglis.

Gasnier can be squeezed into a St.George minor premiers squad mid way thru a 2010 season where they are leading a competition on an apparent back ended deal yet William Hopoate could also be an option for them just after they've resigned Kyle Stanley and Matt Cooper on extended deals.

On the Bulldogs they have seriously purchased as much if not more talent than any other club over the past 3 years. This year they are losing Idris... not sure if he is on the big bucks on his current deal... I understand he will be at the Titans but I don't think his current deal is all that huge. The Dogs offered him an upgrade, didn't get to keep thier man. They are going all out to buy this English prop... I'd find it incredible that on top of these circumstances and considering who they have bought and the overs they paid to get Trent Hodkinson, how they could possibly outbid Manly for the services of William Hopoate.

Manly since their Grand Final triumph have only bought 4 first graders from memory, Chris Bailey who they paid overs for and is now gone, Ben Farrar who they scored on a swap with Michael Bani and he is also now gone. Terrence Seu Seu and Shane Rodney both remain but both considering where their careers were before they arrived at Manly were on the periphery of their clubs and not on the really big coin. Also in that period the Sea Eagles have lost plenty of top tier players ie Steve Menzies, Steve Bell, Matt Orford, Josh Perry just to name a few who were publicly on some fairly sizeable deals. There are more like Heath LeStrange, Glen Hall, Mark Bryant, Trent Hodkinson and Jared Hargeaves who have also moved on.

Considering these factors, surely Manly would have more room to move under their cap than Canterbury?

CC_Eagle

First Grade
Manly keep losing players, who exactly are they paying the huge dollars to?? Surely young Hoppa will stay, well I hope he does Manly have lost a heap of players over the last few years.

Stars like Tony and David Williams.

SingleSpeed73

Juniors
I reckon the club will resign the core group of kids coming thru, Hoppa, Buhrer Oldfield even if we lose an established 1st grader or 2 to do it , Kite Gulavao and Matai i think will be let go when their deals finish, these kids have showed they are more than up to the task of 1st grade

zombie jesus

Staff member
Hoppa is a must keep, have the horrible feeling he will walk. We had to pay a ransom to keep him last time and he was only what 15? I'm sure we can afford to keep him but do we have the role he wants? Does he want to be a winger? If having the fullback spot was to be the difference in keeping or losing him, I would be inclined to hand it to him. It's a tough situation to be in.

the animal

It's interesting this Salary Cap.

It's interesting that Souths were on their Cap limit, but only had to cut Beau Champion to fit Greg Inglis.

Gasnier can be squeezed into a St.George minor premiers squad mid way thru a 2010 season where they are leading a competition on an apparent back ended deal yet William Hopoate could also be an option for them just after they've resigned Kyle Stanley and Matt Cooper on extended deals.

On the Bulldogs they have seriously purchased as much if not more talent than any other club over the past 3 years. This year they are losing Idris... not sure if he is on the big bucks on his current deal... I understand he will be at the Titans but I don't think his current deal is all that huge. The Dogs offered him an upgrade, didn't get to keep thier man. They are going all out to buy this English prop... I'd find it incredible that on top of these circumstances and considering who they have bought and the overs they paid to get Trent Hodkinson, how they could possibly outbid Manly for the services of William Hopoate.

Go through the Wiley Park Bulldogs list over the last 3 -4 yrs before you question any other team, there the 1st team the NRL should look at every week, you dont go from Sunny QLD to Belmore for Peanuts.

Cletus

First Grade
Hoppa is a must keep, have the horrible feeling he will walk. We had to pay a ransom to keep him last time and he was only what 15? I'm sure we can afford to keep him but do we have the role he wants? Does he want to be a winger? If having the fullback spot was to be the difference in keeping or losing him, I would be inclined to hand it to him. It's a tough situation to be in.

We'll surely find a spot for him until Robbo, wolfman or Matai leave. It's not like we never have injuries and he seems like he can play anywhere in the outside backs.

zombie jesus

Staff member
I have no doubt he's a starting player for us, particularly next year, but only on the wing when we are full strength, maybe centre if Matai was to be let go or shift to the forwards or something unexpected like that.

The worry is another club could come along and say "here's the same money (or more) as Manly and you can be our #1 fullback".

The guy has immense talent and everyone will be telling him that, he may want to go a club where he can get his hands on the ball the most.

winnyason

Juniors
Well can i start with canterbury f**k off really who has the better halves, hodgkinson a myth does he put a
target on opposition fullbacks chest. Does he want to train in that shithole in belmore does he know they only sell kebabs there.
We will keep young hopa, matai will move to pack soon. Robbo is not in side at full strength, we should move to get Buhrer on long term deal as well.
If worse comes to worse kite may have to leave.
With Chase Stanley back at saints it appears the dogs is our only competition, wow maybe we might sign SBW that would put the cat amid the pigeons.

eagles4eva

First Grade
The Eagles must have some money in the kitty to sign Hoppa, unless dogs or st stain offer mega bucks...

Latest posts