What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

dogs still cheating

jack coburn

Juniors
how crap is it that the dogs only lose 1 first grader,then sign a state of origin forward when all other clubs have to shed 1st grade players.the snippet in the league week last week says it all,that the same team that cheated is still together and making a laughing stock of all other clubs.now i read they were in the market for craig gower before he took a clause out of his contract.this is a discrace how they could even bid 4 him,no wonder everyone hates them and their fans.

Dogs Of War

Coach
That's right it's all a conspiracy, you just watch, the dogs are planning to get kicked out of the comp again then the supporters will riot. The Al-Qaeda will be pleased.

Southernsaint

Staff member
And while you're at it, give Saints the Premier League trophy that the Cap Cheats "won" last season...

Cheers,
Ben S.

Mambo

Juniors
To be fair...it isn't exactly the same team as 2002. Smith and Rauhihi spring to mind as players that left.

Canterbury

Juniors
Northwest Rabbit said:
To be fair...it isn't exactly the same team as 2002. Smith and Rauhihi spring to mind as players that left.

We have had between $500k to $700k worth of salary cap leave.

We lost the following players (approx salaries)

Darren Smith $225K
Paul Rauhihi $125K
Brett Howland $150K (stupid buy )
Darryl Trindall $150K (Another silly buy. though we desperately needed a Halfback at the time and payed premium.. we did more then pay premium though.)

Total Player losses approx $650K

Southernsaint

Staff member
Canterbury said:

Darren Smith $225K
Paul Rauhihi $125K
Darryl Trindall $150K (Another silly buy. though we desperately needed a Halfback at the time and payed premium.. we did more then pay premium though.)

But wasn't the cap breach over $800,000??

You mention all the players you let go but the Dogs did manage to sign Andrew Ryan & upgrade or re-sign players the calibre of Brent Sherwin & Ben Harris at a time when other clubs are shedding players just to re-sign a few of theirown juniors.

It's been done to death but I do feel uncomfortable knowing that a team that was assembled illegally - and the core of that team is the same as in 2002 - will possibly be crowned premiers in October. The NRL was too soft on C*nterbury, in my opinion.

Cheers,
Ben S.

hrundi99

First Grade
Southernsaint said:
Canterbury said:

Darren Smith $225K
Paul Rauhihi $125K

You mention all the players you let go but the Dogs did manage to sign Andrew Ryan & upgrade or re-sign players the calibre of Brent Sherwin & Ben Harris at a time when other clubs are shedding players just to re-sign a few of theirown juniors.

It's been done to death but I do feel uncomfortable knowing that a team that was assembled illegally - and the core of that team is the same as in 2002 - will possibly be crowned premiers in October. The NRL was too soft on C*nterbury, in my opinion.

Cheers,
Ben S.

I thought the players altered the contracts to include deferred bonuses to next year, which theoretically should account for the difference.

The only problem I have is that as mentioned above, theoretically half of the Prem league team that won the GF were part of the over the top salary cap...

Canterbury

Juniors
hrundi99 said:
Southernsaint said:
Canterbury said:

Darren Smith $225K
Paul Rauhihi $125K

Cheers,
Ben S.

I thought the players altered the contracts to include deferred bonuses to next year, which theoretically should account for the difference.

Correct.

jack coburn

Juniors
yes they shed a couple,then got ryan for 350,000, upgraded mason,had to outbid sides 4 sherwin,then still had enough to make a serious offer to gower.so they shed 650,00,didn't take long to spend that and a bit more

anastabation

Juniors
Southernsaint said:
Canterbury said:

Darren Smith $225K
Paul Rauhihi $125K

na we were over by 400

Cheers,
Ben S.

hrundi99

First Grade
I think that as with the leading North American sports, salaries should be published.

These figures should come from the NRL's salary cap team and be the gospel amounts.

This would alleviate a lot of the conjecture.

jack coburn

Juniors
i agree hundi,that would alleviate problems,but as u know its not the known payments that worry everyone its the unknown.

DJ

Juniors
jack coburn said:
i agree hundi,that would alleviate problems,but as u know its not the known payments that worry everyone its the unknown.

Agree totally jack,

Whilst the Bulldogs are the only team to have submitted to a complete audit of not only the football club, the leagues club plus associated entities and have been cleared by the NRL, all other clubs are still operating under the salary cap audit process which did not find the Bulldogs breach.

So in effect the current auditing process would not pick up for eg, a 200K car detailing position for City Ford, an interest free 500K home loan from Aussie home loans or a transfer of 250K to a bank account in the Bahamas by Western Union (theoretical examples only).

But hey! Fittler signs for 300K less than he can get elsewhere and Walker is willing to play for nothing. The salary cap is obviously distributing the talent.

jack coburn

Juniors
teams like roosters,saints,newcastle and parra have lost alot of players over the last 2 yrs and havent replaced them with players of the same quality,so it must doing something,i cant recall that many dogs 1st graders running around in the nrl 1st grade for other sides compared to the above teams

davi

Juniors
Dogs are in strife with the salary cap again but this time they have reported it to the NRL.

"Canterbury are reportedly in breach of the NRL salary cap to the tune of about $100,000.

The Seven Network on Wednesday evening reported the Bulldogs, some months ago, had discovered that they were over the cap for 2017 and alerted the NRL.

Canterbury face a probable hefty fine over the breach.

The original figure is believed to have been up to $160,000.

Bulldogs CEO Raelene Castle, however, has told Seven News she's confident it will be less than $100,000 by the time final numbers are crunched within a few weeks.

By self-reporting to the NRL, it is anticipated Canterbury will be fined an amount equivalent to the final breach amount, rather than being hit with a possible deduction of premiership points."

http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/sport/nrl/news/2016/11/bulldogs-breach-salary-cap-report/

DiegoNT

First Grade
Aren't these kind of breaches relatively common? Usually from errors in account etc, some players get bonus triggered etc and suddenly your accidently over the cap by relatively a small amount. I'm sure there's usually half a dozen or so teams in the comp who go through this every year. It's not the same as the systemic cheating of the bulldogs and storm in the past that were complex actions to deliberately cheat the cap