What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dollars Could Cost Dragons This Prop

getsmarty

Immortal
DOLLARS COULD COST DRAGONS THIS PROP

Leeson Ah Mau has had two rival NRL clubs express interest in his services.

His preference is to stay in the Red V.

Dragons’ Director of Rugby League Pathways Ian Millward told the Market Watch podcast the club has started talks with Ah Mau to extend his contract but they may struggle to match the offers from other clubs.

The Dragons have 22 players from their current top 30 signed for 2019 so the purse strings are tight.

MjUzMjAxODIxfGN4by5jfGh0dHBzOi8vY2RuLm5ld3NhcGkuY29tLmF1L2ltYWdlL3YxL2U3MjIzNjU3ZjY1YjNmZTgyM2ViNGVlZjU4ZjE1MTI1fDI1MzIwMTgyMQ==

Leeson Ah Mau of the Dragons takes on the defence.Source: Getty Images
“We know the positions we need to fill. We need three front rowers for 2019 added to the 22 that are already signed,” Millward said.

“We are in dialogue with Leeson. We also respect that Leeson at 27-28 years of age is obviously looking for the right package for himself. We think he’s going extremely well. We’re very happy with him. We are in dialogue with him and his agent. That’s a process we’ll go through and it takes two to tango. We’re hoping we’ll get a result.

“When you’ve done 22 players, you know what money you’ve got left and what values you can put on players.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...r/news-story/f9d802d57295be6854ef82a3a89ecfbd

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Leeson needs to be priority number 1 right now, but I fear that we may be outbid. Desperate clubs will be looking to bolster their packs for next season and we might lose out to a 4 year deal offer from another club.

If we lose Leeson under those circumstances, i'll be pissed but I can understand completely that he'll be looking to set himself up for the future. However, i'm worried this forum will go into meltdown and we'll be back onto the Millward hate train.

MilanDragon

Juniors
Tough one. Would love for LAM to stay and I believe he’d want to stay. Depending on the difference in $$ it may be too much.

Suppose what we have to think is how much do we spend on a prop off the bench and categorise the funds, plus who do we have coming through. So you take the name out, replace with the position and see what you have left.

I’d hate to lose him but we do have some good young forwards coming through, who’d be much cheaper and we can use those funds elsewhere. While also building for the future.

Slackboy72

Coach
Why the click-baity title? Is 'Ah Mau' tougher to type out than 'THIS PROP'?
WHY THE f**kING CAPS?

BennyV

Referee
“We know the positions we need to fill. We need three front rowers for 2019 added to the 22 that are already signed,” Millward said.

“We are in dialogue with Leeson. We also respect that Leeson at 27-28 years of age is obviously looking for the right package for himself. We think he’s going extremely well. We’re very happy with him. We are in dialogue with him and his agent. That’s a process we’ll go through and it takes two to tango. We’re hoping we’ll get a result.

“When you’ve done 22 players, you know what money you’ve got left and what values you can put on players.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...r/news-story/f9d802d57295be6854ef82a3a89ecfbd
I know Mary likes the power game but 22 seems like an excessive number of props...

watatank

Coach
Why the click-baity title? Is 'Ah Mau' tougher to type out than 'THIS PROP'?
WHY THE f**kING CAPS?

It's a subsection of a bigger article but we probably didn't need a new thread about this, considering we already have a thread on Ah Mau being off contract

RufusRex

Post Whore
Tough one. Would love for LAM to stay and I believe he’d want to stay. Depending on the difference in $$ it may be too much.

Suppose what we have to think is how much do we spend on a prop off the bench and categorise the funds, plus who do we have coming through. So you take the name out, replace with the position and see what you have left.

I’d hate to lose him but we do have some good young forwards coming through, who’d be much cheaper and we can use those funds elsewhere. While also building for the future.

False logic this bench/not bench shit

Graham, Vaughan and Ah Mau play similar minutes. All three equally vital to the teams success this year.

denis preston

First Grade
Yes, very much want to keep him but if some club offers 600k a year for 4 years what can we do ?

This is where our lack of 3rd party success is killing us. OUST DOUST !!

Speaking with my mate up here in Brisbane last week and he indicated the focus around Pangai Junior to Newcastle was spot on however he also said that they are looking seriously at Leeson Ah Mau.
I thought he was just winding me up to get a reaction however he could be spot on.
He was correct on Sam Thaiday and Bryce Cartwright before they were in the press.
The Knights only signed Heighington & Lillyman to one year deals and have plenty of cash to spend.

Datramp

Juniors
Yes, very much want to keep him but if some club offers 600k a year for 4 years what can we do ?

This is where our lack of 3rd party success is killing us. OUST DOUST !!

Well. Would be nice if nighty retired and then we can use that money for ah mau and give him 600k :)

Bench
It’s going to be interesting to see how his negotiations pan out. Millward has been doing a great job with recruitment. Hope LAM stays but it will come down to money and length of contract.
Packer was not given the contract he wanted. But I think LAM has a lot more to offer then Packer

Gareth67

First Grade
T.P.A's - T.P.A's - why couldn't we have some saved for a rainy day ? ? ? I thought we had a spare $900,000 gathering dust somewhere , apparently not .

Last edited:

Divine

Bench
He certainly got people’s attention after he ragdolled a few Sharkies forwards last week.
Maybe we can sling him some of Gypsy’s money next year.

gitano

Juniors
This is where Millward earns his money. Emotion can't get in the way with cap balance. He made the right call when plenty on here were throwing money bags at Dugan. I'm sure he'll get it right again.

SBD82

Coach
This is where Millward earns his money. Emotion can't get in the way with cap balance. He made the right call when plenty on here were throwing money bags at Dugan. I'm sure he'll get it right again.
It'd be a shitty thankless job. No doubt.

Hopefully he gets the right balance. Would be very disappointed to see LAM leave the club.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
Signing Ah Mau is a must for 3 years as Graham may only have 1 year left after this year. Mann comes in when Nightingale retires at the end of this year.We do not need any extetnal plsyers and need to develop who we have in ISP or Jersey Flegg.

Latest posts