What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dolphin Stadium

Brutus

Referee
3 million in council funding and 4 million in Fed Govt funding.

Looks as though it's going to become a reality.

Great news.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Looks impressive from what I saw on the news, will be the best small stadium in Brisbane by the looks of it.

Hopefully someone out there is petitioning for a similar upgrade to Langlands.

beave

Coach
And here I thought the federal gov isn't into putting money up for sports stadium.......... Well that's that the people of NQ have been told over the last few montha for the TVL CBD stadium.

expansionist

Juniors
Looks impressive from what I saw on the news, will be the best small stadium in Brisbane by the looks of it.

Hopefully someone out there is petitioning for a similar upgrade to Langlands.

Langlands is so dissapointing.. they had the money, they had the chance to make it something special.

You can tell the Easts focus when the whole footy side is hidden away from the road - behind a car park and leagues club.

Everytime I go there I think its a wasted opportunity

expansionist

Juniors
Good news for Redcliffe by the way - Im very happy for them.

Can I ask here again though - does anyone have any update on Davies Park proposed upgrades?

I would have been happy if only 1 side of Dolphin Oval had been redeveloped but this is a bonus. Will miss the old ground for sure but when it's a stinking hot day or raining, sadly there's not a lot of cover.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
I won't miss the old ground quite that much, Matt.

However, I will be hoping for Redcliffe wins in their next two matches against Pride and Easts. :D

Joker's Wild

Coach
And here I thought the federal gov isn't into putting money up for sports stadium.......... Well that's that the people of NQ have been told over the last few montha for the TVL CBD stadium.

$4M is a pretty small amount

Id imagine a brand new stadium in Townsville that is up to NRL, not QCup standard, would require at least 10x that amount

Bit tough to compare

Heritage XIII

Juniors
Langlands is so dissapointing.. they had the money, they had the chance to make it something special.

You can tell the Easts focus when the whole footy side is hidden away from the road - behind a car park and leagues club.

Everytime I go there I think its a wasted opportunity

That's rugby league fullstop particularly in Brisbane. They pour all their money into leagues clubs/ pokies and don't give a stuff bout spectators. Look at likes if Bishop park, still looks same after 3 decade s. Cant they see a nice boutique stadium & prospect of 4-5,000 prior & after a game going back to the league's club?

beave

Coach
$4M is a pretty small amount

Id imagine a brand new stadium in Townsville that is up to NRL, not QCup standard, would require at least 10x that amount

Bit tough to compare

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.a...illes-cbd-stadium/story-fnjfzs4b-122736433977

Mr Hockey said the Government ?isn?t in the business of paying for stadiums?.

?That?s the responsibility of state governments,? he said.

yeah we are asking for a lot more than $4mil Jdub, but you get where I am coming from yeah?

XXXX Cap

Juniors
That's rugby league fullstop particularly in Brisbane. They pour all their money into leagues clubs/ pokies and don't give a stuff bout spectators. Look at likes if Bishop park, still looks same after 3 decade s. Cant they see a nice boutique stadium & prospect of 4-5,000 prior & after a game going back to the league's club?

That's the good thing about Bishop Park - it is still the same after three decades. The way local football should be - none of this boutique stadium bs.

expansionist

Juniors
That's the good thing about Bishop Park - it is still the same after three decades. The way local football should be - none of this boutique stadium bs.

XXXX Cap - I agree with you on most things, but on this we differ!

I find nothing charming about trying to take young kids to Davies Park, and trying to use their 3 decade old facilities!

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

Havent you heard? we're in a budget emergency!!!

Or has Sloppy Joe saved us now?? I know he added $100bill to the national debt, is that good?? ](*,)

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Seriously though, itd be great to get an NRL game or 2 there each year...

Maybe a Sydney team taking a home game against Broncos/Titans/Cowboys/Storm??

XXXX Cap

Juniors

I find nothing charming about trying to take young kids to Davies Park, and trying to use their 3 decade old facilities!

Davies Park has never been a great ground for watching football. The only elevated area looks straight into the sun.

I just like being on the hill at Bishop, plenty of room to move, good way to spend a Sunday afternoon. Purtell was the same.

Brutus

Referee

Davies Park is a lot crapier than Bishop.

The best view of the footy at Davies was from the clubhouse.

Last edited:

Brutus

Referee
Redcliffe on their day can get 3-4k and who knows what that may end up in a new stadium.

Grand finals there have attracted 10k in the past.

Great to finally see a boutique venue in QLD.

I won't miss the old ground quite that much, Matt.

However, I will be hoping for Redcliffe wins in their next two matches against Pride and Easts. :D

Well we've beaten Easts once already this year (and very rewarding to do it again) but the Pride is another matter. We can't seem to beat them and sadly the 'home' game is being played up in Innisfail on their turf.

Brutus

Referee
I vaguely remember watching Easts play Norths at Gatton in 1986.

Wharto or 'Rat' changed my thought on 'country round'

Last edited: