What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Don't blame Price, Blame Doust!!!

drpeterb

Juniors
As a fan, loyal to my team, i am trying to understand what has gone wrong last season and these 3 games.
The team that we have on paper is still strong, albeit, our Coops is getting tired, Chase has not lived up to his superstar prediction we all thought he would be when he was a schoolboy out of endeavour high.
We have 3 internationals in our backline, the worlds best outside backs arguably in moz and nightie.
sowie is just not interested, he has become a robot, catch, pass inside, and kick. The creativity has disappeared from his game.
Not too long ago he was dropped from the Roosters because he was too "Individual". I think we would love him to regain some of this x factior he has shown to have.
Fien is a good player, he tries, game in game out, but he too is running on tired legs.
Our forwards are as good as any teams Pack.
The problem I think is not just coach Price, but the process that made him coach when Bennett left.
Doust appointed Price, thinking he would take over where Bennett left off.
Doesn't work that way sunshine...
Doust should of started with a clean slate. New coach, New methods, New Era.
We can not live in the past and hope that things will fall into place, We have to be proactive and that begins with our administration..
Bennett wanted a 5 year contract to build a Dynasty, Just like he did at the Broncos and Bellamy and Hasler are doing at the storm and the Dogs.
Doust with his intellectual foresight, knew better than to sign St Benny to a long term contract. Big mistake.
Well done Doust on appointing your prodigy as a successor to Benny. Price will never be able to recruit the big name players because he lacks the reputation and aura these top coaches have.
We need a fresh start on and off the park.

Sorry guys i had to vent....

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Good vent.

But regarding this: "Not too long ago he was dropped from the Roosters because he was too "Individual"."

Drpete, that was in 2007... about six years ago.

dragonv

Juniors
Doust should of started with a clean slate. New coach, New methods, New Era.
Sorry guys i had to vent....

Agree wholeheartedly and said it at the time. Was willing to give Price a good go, have done so and we have gone from bad to worse. to his credit it would appear we made a play for Bellamy, Cronk, Jennings, Chase but the result for Price and Doust, besides from Beale and Frizell is zero. Sooner or later one will go and my money is on it being Price.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
As long as we don't blame Ryles, I'm happy.

Last edited:

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Doust brought in Bennett and got Saints a premiership. He then gave Price a go cause he did well in the juniors and served as Bennett's apprentice. Right thing to do it's just not working out. How was Doust suppose to know. I thought Price would go well also but he is just terrible.

Doust has managed to hold onto BMoz, Nighty, Creagh, Hornby, Young, Coops, got Gaz back, Merrin, etc. I don't know what else he needs to do to please you guys. We won 2010 with a squad full of local juniors which Doust had to work hard to retain as clubs like the Dogs are always sniffing around.

If Price was doing a good job there would be no posts regarding Doust. If Doust brought in someone else and he did a similar job to Price you would be bagging Doust because he did not give Price a go. So he did what I feel us fans would have wanted. There is nothing this man can do to please you guys. He put his faith in Price and he let Doust and the club down with his bad coaching. He did try and get Bellamy. It's not as if he does not care about making the Saints great again.

Saints have go the roster to be top 8 team. In fact I can see Saints putting in a long winning streak if we get a new coach in it's just how long do we wait for this change.

Hang in there because when Price goes it could be the catalyst to a great season.

BradMackay

Juniors
It all comes down to was Doust lucky signing Bennett (who was never going to stay after winning the comp despite the contract length) or was it good management.

I tend to think it was luck because his previous coach decisions Farrar over Waite and then Brown for too long were not good. The roosters may have turned things around by clearing the front office. We need to get our version of Nick Politis to get rid of Doust