What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Downer NRL Auckland 9's

Rich102

Staff member
Jeez. It's not April the first yet. Is it?

Put Cappy on too. And Stace. Why not Steve as well?

Wouldn't you have to be registered to play?

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Given there were other legends, I don't think they have to be registered squad members.
I'd imagine the clubs are allocated a spot for a returning legend if they desire, ala FItler, Bowen, Nagas etc

Also seen they are having a 'singles zone' . I'd imagine it will be a sausage fest.

That said, I don't mind too much, as a) happily married, b) probably not going and c) even if I did go, I wouldn't go to that section. Funny to read how people are so against it.

Rich102

Staff member
Nothing wrong with a bit of hide the sausage. Didn't know you needed a special zone for it.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Every club should have one of these on their team, adds something to an event that is more entertainment than serious competition for most of the clubs, have always found that the clubs starving for a bit of success (warriors, eels, Knights etc) load up more for this event than the other clubs in the first couple of them

If they are serious about this singles zone they will get Steve Menzies and Alan Tongue over for it

MKEB...

Staff member
Every club should have one of these on their team, adds something to an event that is more entertainment than serious competition for most of the clubs, have always found that the clubs starving for a bit of success (warriors, eels, Knights etc) load up more for this event than the other clubs in the first couple of them

If they are serious about this singles zone they will get Steve Menzies and Alan Tongue over for it

I see what you did there.

Rich102

Staff member
So Wiki plays and one of the promising young kids sits out.
What's the gain?

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Well I just went on a spur of the moment to Ticketek and I've got tickets. Why? No idea.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Oh also I'm in a happy relationship and not in the singles zone. I'd be murdered if I was.

Although my partner is called Eden and I wonder how many being in Eden jokes I will run through over the weekend. People may assist me. I'll work out a hashtag even.

Last edited:

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Not that i know of, unless it's a new rule? Who did we have in the past?
So we not taking this year to seriously? Or Wiki do a filter and play only day 1

I'm pretty sure it's applied in the past. Fitter played, I think we might've used Ali last year?

As long as every club doesn't it's a great idea.

jaseg

Juniors
Nah, there's never been a rule where you had to use an old guy - just an exception in place for clubs to use one if they felt like it, in place of an NRL contracted guy. Not too many clubs have bothered either... Nagas, Croker, Menzies, Fittler, Bowen... have there been any others? Not many considering there's 16 clubs and have had 3 tournaments so far.

I do like the value of having an old legend back for the tournament, and I don't think it necessarily means that team isn't taking it seriously either.. they are relatively big squads (not everyone can be on the bench for every game I believe?) - and Rubes looks in as good or better shape than any of the others who have played (impressive given his age compared to a Bowen).

Oh also I'm in a happy relationship and not in the singles zone. I'd be murdered if I was.

Although my partner is called Eden and I wonder how many being in Eden jokes I will run through over the weekend. People may assist me. I'll work out a hashtag even.

Something to play off the "if there's grass on the field play ball" saying. I'm wrecked, can't think of the actual joke. Might re-visit if I remember (and think of something).

legs 11

Juniors
im sure reuben is as fit as everyone at training...but he will have no speed,,,,,he did end up as a prop remember, where slow backs end up.....so combined with his age he will be a snail, but a very fit snail. waste of time...put a st pauls college kid on instead or whoever was the secondary schools player of the year.

Rich102

Staff member
Now it becomes clear why Wiki was picked.

"Today is Ruben Wiki's birthday! So we're celebrating with a Vodafone Warriors member exclusive – a limited edition custom-made version of the jersey he’ll wear at the Downer NRL Auckland Nines at Eden Park on February 4 and 5.

The legendary Wiki, who made 312 NRL appearances from 1993-2008, confirmed on Thursday that he’ll play in the tournament more than eight years after playing his last first-grade game.

Sales of the Wiki replica will be limited to the first 100 customers. Provided you order by Monday, January 30, the jersey will arrive just in time for you to wear at the Nines (NB: No orders will be accepted after close of business on Monday, January 30).

RUBEN WIKI NRL NINES JERSEY

• Limited edition (100 units)
  • Exclusive to members only
  • $190 (price includes printing)
  • Deadline for orders is close of business on Monday, January 30
  • Members who have already purchased a Vodafone Warriors NRL Nines jersey can have theirs numbered and named at the Playbill store at Mount Smart Stadium (at a cost of $30). Please contact them directly to arrange your printing. "

Iafeta

Referee
I do like Joseph Parker as water boy though. World Heavyweight Champ in your corner is pretty sweet.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I should declare that I am not a fan of replica jerseys, have never worn one in public and never will do (comfortably wear training gear/shorts for the gym or beach etc). Some people are, and I'm totally sweet with that.

But $190 for a Wiki jersey in a who really cares Nines comeback? And what is it, the jersey everyone else is wearing? Wow.

Rich102

Staff member

Be all right so long as you are not planning a move to mount Eden. Live.

Latest posts