What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Accept Criticism & Begin Work On 2017

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Many a year ago there lived a chap by the name of Pa Kettle ( I am sure that most of the elder statesmen of this forum would remember him ) , anyway he lived in a old run- down farm .

Once it was the best around , however because of his laziness it had become an absolute dump . Regardless of what his long suffering wife , Ma Kettle , said to him , he just would not listen and so the place fell to ' rack and ruin .

His favourite saying was - " Always put off until tomorrow , what you can do today ! " .
Sounds to me that is also the way that the officials of our once great club think .

Hi Gareth
Except Pa Kettle was smarter than doust lol

i wonder if the performance committee also reviewed how many millions it will cost by keeping Mary and the coaching staff? Lost revenue through reduced gate takings, lower membership renewals, lower merchandise sales and potentially loss of sponsor not wanting to be associated with a non performing club.

Add to that the potential loss of not being able to recruit top line players as they wouldnt want to get coached by Mary as that is a very career limiting move....

it seems very ironic that the main cause of the poor season was having a lot of poor players and coaching staff on the books, however in their wisdom they thought they would interview those very same under performers to try and find the answers.

I am hoping a lot of external entities were also consulted as there is no point asking the people that are the problem to provide the solution..

100% correct Mr Red, can you please go and replace Mr Doust.

Paying out some of the Coaching staff is nothing compared to the potential loss that is coming in the next 6/12 months.

Who will be held accountable then.

The other worrying thing is that when McGregor does finally get the arse what calibre of Coach will be available, will Cleary still be on the Market, Toovey, JD (if he hangs around). Shit we could end up with Millward as Coach half way through 2017 o_O.

MattoDragon

Juniors
Thinking about this a bit. Maybe this will result in JD becoming more involved in 1st grade in 2017 with a view to establishing him as head coach in 2018 when Mary's contract is up.
You want another untried coach? Price couldn't cut it, MacGregor has proved to be an abject failure, yet you're happy to see if 3 times proves it. We need a strong and proven 1st Grade coach. Otherwise we will languish in the bottom 4 for many years to come

Reactions: Qdf
What benefit do they have with them in the comp.
The NRL wants to expand the game to make it a truly national Comp.
The NRL realises that there are too many teams in Sydney to achieve such expansion.
It's a lot easier for the NRL to remove a Sydney based team that is both inept on and off the field - less back lash and resistance to their decision if the club already "sucks" so to speak with dwindling fan base..
The more the dragons falter financially off the field and competitively on the field the easier it makes the NRLs decision to justify removal of a Sydney club and also remove a club that's financially dependant on NRL handouts.

The right game right venue approach will also be more successful with less Sydney based teams trying to share a handful of grounds. currently the NRL can't 100% enforce their strategy as the Sydney venues can't cope with the demand with the current number of Sydney based teams that would attempt to share the grounds...
Exactly what I was thinking Mr Red.

Why would the NRL keep handing out money to a club that is becoming the ultimate failure.

rainman44

Bench
Cram it. Supporters have every right to be pissed off, clvent and leave in droves.

The club has shown zero loyalty to the fans. They deserve the same from us.
Exactly the club can go to hell and if anyone tells me i am not a true supporter is wrong because people like me will get the Nrl involved very soon. No more money from my family to this club because its not the club it was.

getsmarty

Immortal
Well..lets see how their review looks when membership drops to the lowest in the last 10 years and crowd numbers drop at all our games. Genius move from the board.

blacksafake

First Grade
It's amazing how professionally other clubs like souths & dogs are run compared to ours.
The dogs as usual were still there at the business end & still Dessie is put on notice to improve next year.
Maguire has also been put on notice after one poor year.Not us six years in the wilderness & yet the status quo remains.
IDIOTS!!

I am glad i live in Qld.

I don't have to travel to any home games and waste my money.
I don't even travel to Brisbane or G Cold of they play there.
I don't need a membership again a waste of money.
I don't have a strong affiliation with the club and can actually laugh at how bad they are.
I don't buy merchandise as I would be ashamed to wear it and a waste of money.
I'll continue to follow the Cutters as at the very least they represent the Illawarra in some form.

What load of rubbish. We have a part time committee of basically non rugby league brains to develop our first grade coach and performance staff.

Have a look at Mr Meltons bio and see what you think:

The Chief Executive Officer of the NSW Rugby League (NSWRL), Mr. David Trodden, is pleased to announce the appointment to the NSWRL of a new senior executive in Dirk Melton.

Mr. Meltons role of General Manager Strategy and Community Affairs, is an all-encompassing position to assist Mr. Trodden to work in unison with the NRL to develop the overarching strategies, structures and systems to enhance the game of Rugby League at all levels within NSW.

Chief Executive Officer, Sydney FC (Sacked)

Chief Operating Officer, Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs

Executive Manager Marketing & Consumer Products, St George Illawarra Dragons (its laughable)

Commercial & Marketing Director (ANZ), Ticketek (PBL Media)

Consumer Goods

Group Strategy Manager, Goodman Fielder

Technical Brand Manager, Mars Corporation

Management Consulting

Director, The New Human Equation

Director, Dream Real Enterprises

Manager, Ernst & Young Consulting

Education

PhD (pending), University of Wollongong, Australias Social Conscience The need for enhanced institutionalization of the Third Sector to increase social capital.

MBA (Full-time), University of New South Wales

Bachelor of Engineering (Chemical), The University of Melbourne

How is any of this going to help with game plans and identifying rugby league talent and rugby league skills development?

PhD (pending), Australias Social Conscience The need for enhanced institutionalization of the Third Sector to increase social capital.

Here we go again ..

'Institutionalization..' 'Third Sector' 'Social capital'

Here's a tip champ... any social capital the dragons have built up over time has been eroded to a point of bankruptcy by the current sycophants.

The Dragon 'Society' will never function effectively .. We do not have shared values anymore... Goodwill, fellowship, sympathy, trust .. All dead.

There are a few who should be 'Institutionalised' - how many corporate / ethical governance breaches can you get away with

The 'Third Sector'.. Well the good news Dirk .. We have made it.. We are a charity case.. Or should that be a basket case... Who cares, put them all .. The rest of the league looks at us with pity or ridicule anyway.

Anyway.. Move over boys .. There is still a few spots left on the gravy train..

The den of iniquity is not quite full.

Dragons 09

Juniors
The retention of the impostor for another season is about as bad as it gets for me and seals the deal with regards membership status intentions. Everyone has to decide for themselves what they intend to do with their membership for their own personal reasons, but for me, I intend to sit and wait until I am offered a product that provides me with value, and that will never be the case while the impostor is part of the package.

In saying that, the clubs chosen position on the matter and the statement that announced it, wreaks of "Chapter 1 from the Corporations Damage Control Handbook". Any of you blokes that earn your crust in the corporate or PR world have probably witnessed similar strategies in your time.

I think this may end up playing out a bit like a Danoz Direct sales pitch....."But wait, there's more!

The strategy to “accept criticism”, then deliver the "hard blow" at a time when the spotlight of the masses is preoccupied with other matters (Awards nights, GF etc.) and then to follow this up with the drip feeding of "good news" stories (strategic staff appointments, key signings, additional stakeholder incentives etc.) is a classic corporate old school strategy for systematic damage control.

They threw us overboard with the news of the impostors retention, then tossed some life jackets into the water by offering us Coyney and a few “1st class experts in Coaching and Athletics":rolleyes: and then dangled the carrot of future hope that they will man the life rafts and come and collect us buy cleverly worded phrases such as “Whilst our staff and playing roster is yet to be finalised for 2017” and “We will have some changes in our roster for 2017, especially in some key positions” and “When planning and all Staff positions for 2017 are confirmed, the Club will provide further detail”.

Stay tuned for Chapter’s 2, 3, 4 straight out of the handbook………….. Absolute amateur hour and dysfunctional Board politics at its finest.

I will still continue to support my team with the passion I always have, I will not bag any player who gets to pull on the famous jersey if he tries his guts out (regardless of their ability) and I will not back down to any opposing fan who wants to bad mouth my team, but I will no longer financially support the “establishment” until they collectively put the welfare and longevity of my club before Board Room politics and their own self-interest.

blacksafake

First Grade
The retention of the impostor for another season is about as bad as it gets for me and seals the deal with regards membership status intentions. Everyone has to decide for themselves what they intend to do with their membership for their own personal reasons, but for me, I intend to sit and wait until I am offered a product that provides me with value, and that will never be the case while the impostor is part of the package.

In saying that, the clubs chosen position on the matter and the statement that announced it, wreaks of "Chapter 1 from the Corporations Damage Control Handbook". Any of you blokes that earn your crust in the corporate or PR world have probably witnessed similar strategies in your time.

I think this may end up playing out a bit like a Danoz Direct sales pitch....."But wait, there's more!

The strategy to “accept criticism”, then deliver the "hard blow" at a time when the spotlight of the masses is preoccupied with other matters (Awards nights, GF etc.) and then to follow this up with the drip feeding of "good news" stories (strategic staff appointments, key signings, additional stakeholder incentives etc.) is a classic corporate old school strategy for systematic damage control.

They threw us overboard with the news of the impostors retention, then tossed some life jackets into the water by offering us Coyney and a few “1st class experts in Coaching and Athletics":rolleyes: and then dangled the carrot of future hope that they will man the life rafts and come and collect us buy cleverly worded phrases such as “Whilst our staff and playing roster is yet to be finalised for 2017” and “We will have some changes in our roster for 2017, especially in some key positions” and “When planning and all Staff positions for 2017 are confirmed, the Club will provide further detail”.

Stay tuned for Chapter’s 2, 3, 4 straight out of the handbook………….. Absolute amateur hour and dysfunctional Board politics at its finest.

I will still continue to support my team with the passion I always have, I will not bag any player who gets to pull on the famous jersey if he tries his guts out (regardless of their ability) and I will not back down to any opposing fan who wants to bad mouth my team, but I will no longer financially support the “establishment” until they collectively put the welfare and longevity of my club before Board Room politics and their own self-interest.
Well said D09

Sigurd

Juniors
After the supercoach Price fiasco when it was perfectly obvious to everyone in the world and in the netherworld, he was a f**king disaster but the board extended him anyway, I couldn't help thinking no one is that incompetent. I still believe that. There is something else going on we don't know about. Surely it must be the case. Is it to bring the club to rock bottom and then be "forced" by the NRL, on pain of extinction, to move away from Kogarah permanently? Something else? Corruption? I'm not saying it is so and am not making any accusations. I'm merely wondering/asking what it could be because I believe no one is that incompetent, not even the Dragons board and CEO.

RED73V

Juniors
To all Red V Members I urge you to cancel your membership as I just have , & make sure whoever it is you are speaking to makes a note of why you are cancelling . The person I spoke to was understanding & obviously has dealt with a lot of members feeling the same way about Mary still being coach next year . The clubs cowardly way of announcing this in the midst of Grand Final week is appalling & Doust & co need to be made accountable

Lethal25

Juniors
This review was your classic shit sandwich.

New committee = bread
Coach retention = shit
More to follow = bread

Only thing is the volume of shit is far too much for the bread to hold

hillbillyserb

Juniors
We are doomed
They are basically saying " yeah yeah scre you we run this shit show "

What's sad is that we as supporters have no coordination, no voice and no soap box to stand on to make ourselves heard.

BrissyRedV

Bench
You want another untried coach? Price couldn't cut it, MacGregor has proved to be an abject failure, yet you're happy to see if 3 times proves it. We need a strong and proven 1st Grade coach. Otherwise we will languish in the bottom 4 for many years to come
Although I agree in that we do not want another rookie coach especially when there is some good, experienced coaches available. But you shouldn't lump JD in the same category as Mary. At least JD has some actual runs on the board and has demonstrated he has the ability to coach none of which has yet to be shown by Mary at all.

BrissyRedV

Bench
We are doomed
They are basically saying " yeah yeah scre you we run this shit show "

What's sad is that we as supporters have no coordination, no voice and no soap box to stand on to make ourselves heard.
This just reminded me of Dr Strangelove and Kong riding the Atomic bomb, except in our case Kong is Doust and Mary and the bomb is the once mighty St George Dragons.

Attachments

• riding_the_bomb.jpg
    riding_the_bomb.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 1

BringTheNoise

Juniors
Well..lets see how their review looks when membership drops to the lowest in the last 10 years and crowd numbers drop at all our games. Genius move from the board.

Dousty will find some way to spin it.

"Membership growth through Dec-Jan reporting period was 5% higher than in years prior to Red V Membership availability and extensive fan surveying and research through end of season reviews indicates significant and substantial intent to renew for the 2018 season."

BringTheNoise

Juniors
Peter Doust's response to fan criticism.
7VpVPQQ.gif