What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragon's Best 17

Crush

Coach
Absolutely. If Ramsey is out for the start of the season have Sloan at 1 to complete this spine. I hope they don't go Bird or Mbye at 1 which is a possibility under Hooks watch if Ramsey is out.
Agreed, have to be positive from the outset, Mbye or Bird at fullback would be such a negative, defensive approach.
Gotta be Sloan at fullback if Ramsey unavailable.

denis preston

First Grade
Still think there is a risk that Sloan gets intimidated at 1 and a better option is to ease him in on the wing for a half or full season. Won’t happen now so sink or swim. This is one of Wolfe & Carrs biggest challenges, make this guy a safe & committed full back.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Sloan seemed ok when he first started in 2021 with 6 tries in 5 games or whatever that was. Not sure why he did not kick on in 2022. Hopefully 2023 he can have a breakout year together with Bud. I think all they need is game time more than anything.

I am also hoping JDB, F.Molo, Su'a and Bird have good years in 2023 because when they play to their potential they are up there with the best of them.

Crush

Coach
2023 is a rebuild yeah?
So in a rebuild, you’re not trying to play finals, you are trying to build to playing finals.
That is why we need to play Sloan, Sullivan and co in their preferred positions, not so that we play finals this year, so that next year we do and 3-5 years down the track we are fighting for premierships.
Who cares how many wins we get this year if we are building towards something better.
I’d hate to see Mbye at fullback, because that isn’t moving forward.

Dragon David

First Grade
2023 is a rebuild yeah?
So in a rebuild, you’re not trying to play finals, you are trying to build to playing finals.
That is why we need to play Sloan, Sullivan and co in their preferred positions, not so that we play finals this year, so that next year we do and 3-5 years down the track we are fighting for premierships.
Who cares how many wins we get this year if we are building towards something better.
Agreed

kit66

Bench
2023 is a rebuild yeah?

There must have been promises made to stop these two, Sloan and Bud, pushing harder for that early release. Hopefully it was a promise of more game time and selection ahead of Hook's "safe" choices. Sloan started really well this year, I still don't understand why he was suddenly dropped. Him and Kerr seemed to cop the blame for the team's poor start to the year but they were both firing. Both dropped. Who knows what goes through Hook's brain.

possm

Coach
Id say there is absolutely zero chance Hook will do it. Ben Hunt has said he won’t play there and Hook has said he won’t play him there.
The interesting point will be, will the new coach try and move Hunt to 9?
Bring Hasler in for Hook and you can be sure Hunt will play hooker or move on to another club.

Crush

Coach
Bring Hasler in for Hook and you can be sure Hunt will play hooker or move on to another club.
Yeah maybe, but then we'd be stuck with Hasler as our coach.
Removing one old school coach stuck in yesteryear for another, no thanks.

Mojo

Bench
Yeah maybe, but then we'd be stuck with Hasler as our coach.
Removing one old school coach stuck in yesteryear for another, no thanks.
I agree. It's a pure hypothetical anyway, but I think Des would be a disaster as StGI coach. We're already struggling. Let's face it, there's only a few top quality NRL coaches - and they're all taken. Des might get us into the 8 (after a few years) but nothing more I reckon. We're not in a position to acquire a top quality coach, let alone a middling to fair one. I think the sad fact is that we're going to have to take a punt on a rookie coach and hope like hell we get a good one. Regardless, there's at least two or three more years required to develop our team into being serious contenders anyway. I think we'd be better-off with a young, ambitious, aspiring coach as a fundamental part of the plan. All we can do is to take a calculated risk (yet again!) in the head coach role.

Last edited:

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Didn't Hasler bring Woods to the Dogs? Maybe with Hasler in Charge of Saints, Woods will get a 3 year extension. Hasler will destroy the cap and junior system like he has done at Dogs and Manly. He has good form with that. He may gets results but once he leaves it is years of pain. Lets face it, if it were not for Turbo Manly are no real finals contender. Fringe finals at best.

Ryles is the rookie you bank on and throw your money at for next Saints coach especially coming from Robbo's chooks system. He will hopefully have the same impact as Fitzy at Sharks. If anything better as Ryles was under Bellamy as well for quite a few years so has a heap of experience under 2 of the best coaches. He may turn out better than super coach Ciraldo. Curious to see how he goes next year. I have never seen so much hype over a rookie. It will be funny if Webster at the Warriors has a better season.

Dragon David

First Grade
Didn't Hasler bring Woods to the Dogs? Maybe with Hasler in Charge of Saints, Woods will get a 3 year extension. Hasler will destroy the cap and junior system like he has done at Dogs and Manly. He has good form with that. He may gets results but once he leaves it is years of pain. Lets face it, if it were not for Turbo Manly are no real finals contender. Fringe finals at best.

Ryles is the rookie you bank on and throw your money at for next Saints coach especially coming from Robbo's chooks system. He will hopefully have the same impact as Fitzy at Sharks. If anything better as Ryles was under Bellamy as well for quite a few years so has a heap of experience under 2 of the best coaches. He may turn out better than super coach Ciraldo. Curious to see how he goes next year. I have never seen so much hype over a rookie. It will be funny if Webster at the Warriors has a better season.
Yep, without Turbo Manly just a fringe club and he is just an injury prone guy.

Dragon David

First Grade

I would like to see Ryles as our rookie head coach. He has good defensive structures and is a good reader of a game. Having spent years under Bellamy and now with Robbo, you couldn't ask for better head coaches to be under and learn the things to win games which is what we want.