What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Best Young Prospects.

Those that dont know me my username on Twitter is dragonsman4life.. as that is what I have been for the past 50 years.

For a team that has been producing champions for the best part of a century.. specially since the 50s.. the cupboard is looking rather scant here in 2018. Does our famous club boast any prospective future champions.. Will we one day have another Gasnier, Raper, Smith, King or Langlands on our roster?

I can see two possible champs in the making.. Zac Lomax and Blake Laurie. Have your say.

dragonsman4life

Last edited:

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Hardl to say at this juncture. So many talented youngsters fail to take the next step up when the acid test is applied.

I imagine you’re aware that both Raper and Langlands were imports and a testament to Frank Facer’s acumen in spotting developing talent. Who does a similar role for the club these days (hopefully still not Craig Young; boy has he stuffed up more than once!)? Sometimes I wish Peter O’Sullivan would return home, but then, the Melbourne salary cap fiasco rears its ugly head, and I say “pass”.

Hardl to say at this juncture. So many talented youngsters fail to take the next step up when the acid test is applied.

I imagine you’re aware that both Raper and Langlands were imports and a testament to Frank Facer’s acumen in spotting developing talent. Who does a similar role for the club these days (hopefully still not Craig Young; boy has he stuffed up more than once!)? Sometimes I wish Peter O’Sullivan would return home, but then, the Melbourne salary cap fiasco rears its ugly head, and I say “pass”.
Facer was a genius at spotting talent and helming a strong ship. It was not so much Craig Young . Didnt drongo Doust have the final say. Who did Albert stuff up with? What about the talent we have lost while on Dousts watch.

Last edited:

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Facer was a genius at spotting talent and helming a strong ship. It was not so much Craig Young . Didnt drongo Doust have the final say. Who did Albert stuff up with? What about the talent we have lost while on Dousts watch.

Off the top of my head, I think Young (somehow) confused Joel Caine with Danny Buderis.

More than happy to be corrected.

23 September 1998. A day in St George history that will go down in infamy. The saddest day for we Dragons diehards when we sold our soul to become the games first joint venture club. So instead of being the St George Dragons we were suddenely known as the St George Illawarra Dragons. How did this happen to a club that held the most consecutive premierships in any sport played on the planet. A club that has produced Immortal after Immortal. Have your say.

Dragonsman4life

Last edited:

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Unfortunately the landscape for juniors has changed, especially over the last decade.
Developing players and taking the time to do so is now even looked at as laborious. Clubs want instant success and waiting for a player to grow and develop isn't practical.

Young players need to show from very early they are ready for NRL. Cleary, Mitchell, Cotric and Brimson, to name just a few, showed from the get-go they were ready.

Our crop like Garrick, Field, Herbert and to a lesser extent Leilua showed promise but needed time to grow. Aitken is another than showed promise but hasn't improved and there's little time left to invest heavily in his development when we have others coming through.
Time v investment doesn't match. Lomax is of course a different prospect and will fall into the ranks of the Cleary's, Mitchell's and Co. No development time investment needed.

Saab seems to be the next one after Lomax who is getting reviews. It will be curious to follow his career over the next year or two.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
23 September 1998. A day in St George history that will go down in infamy. The saddest day for we Dragons diehards when we sold our soul to become the games first joint venture club. So instead of being the St George Dragons we were suddenely known as the St George Illawarra Dragons. How did this happen to a club that held the most consecutive premierships in any sport played on the planet. A club that has produced Immortal after Immortal. Have your say.

I guess Graeme Langlands had the best response. When asked about his thoughts about the JV, he allegedly said the fuss was nonsensical due to the Dragons vast history with the Illawarra region:

Rhetoric such as “selling our soul” is simply hyperbole. The name St. George Illawarra simply reflect the heritage between the areas. And of course, without the South Coast junior vase, the ‘old’ St. George would have remained uncompetitive.

As Brian Smith said (and I hated him for it), “Saints have the smell of Newtown”. The JV (if it still exists under its current guise with WIN Corp) will ensure this outcome will not eventuate.

And of course, without the South Coast junior vase, the ‘old’ St. George would have remained uncompetitive.
Reluctantly I have to agree with that. St George district was losing players to other sports given the ethnicity of the area. It hurt all the same. To me it was selling our soul.. a dagger thru the heart. I still have trouble coming to terms with the JV...specially when we play in a Steeler like jumper.

Dragonsman4life

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
Albert and Doust were recruitment hire and fire post Bennett years until Mulholland came in 2014 or 15.
I am not sure of Alberts role in the 00's
We have lost a s...load under Doust's watch, not just players

BLM01

First Grade
Those three are now going arnt they. Reckon Field would have been a better option at fullback than Dufty. Both have speed to burn but Field has some ball skills to match.
Jai Field not going as far as I am aware.
I agree re Lomax and with Lawrie needs to add something else to his game (an offload or step before the line cause he will get battered trying to skittle them alll the time) And you will shoot me down but I think Dufty has the potential to be 1 of those stars. Needs coaching in attack running at defense and hitting holes at pace..can fix. Defence will come. It is also up to Dufty and our coaching staff whoever that maybe to realise that potential. Remember Tedesco's slow injury and error plagued start with the Tigers

Last edited:

possm

Coach
Reluctantly I have to agree with that. St George district was losing players to other sports given the ethnicity of the area. It hurt all the same. To me it was selling our soul.. a dagger thru the heart. I still have trouble coming to terms with the JV...specially when we play in a Steeler like jumper.
Well, juniors from the Illawarra and Cronulla / Southerland used to rise to play for St George. The entry of the Illawarra Steelers and Cronulla Sharks into the NRL surely weakened our junior catchment. This along with the St George District population moving from a Jewish / Anglo culture to an increasingly Asian mix also had a big influence on our Club.

I'd say the joint venture in itself was not a great problem, it was the Illawarra faction on the board and within management that brought about competition / disputes within the joint venture club that soon became the problem.

ouryears

Bench
So true, it would be like Man C and Man U joint venturing.
It happened because our leadership is useless, no vision, no ambition and no balls.
Puppets
Muppets

BLM01

First Grade
Lomax, Lawrie, Leilua, Field, Host, Saab, Ford, Robson...we’re fine.

Robson in particular is a gun
Yeh Reece Robson is a bit of a mystery at the moment. I have watched him in ISP, he has won awards all that etc. His attack is good but I dont think he has the body yet for 1st grade defense because all good hookers have to make 50 odd tackles a game. That worries me ATM if McInnes went down..although Hunt could fill that void.
The same worries me about Field. (defense in 1st grade big issue)
Host well came on and showed some goods in 2018 but starting to pick up a fair few injuries.
Saab have not seen to judge
Ford does not impress me as a backrower relative to all the hype within our club about him. Has a work ethic but that is all I have seen. Appears tallish & slender and offers little in attack except just 1 out hit ups and has a few mistakes in him
The 3 L's...yeh yeh. Have the goods.
Lets face it when it comes to semi's and finals all attacks are stifled and it is all about defence and errors the way the game is refereed.
The Roosters proved that

dragon thomo

Juniors
Having 3 juniors come into first grade that look like they can make it, is not to bad for a club for a season.
That does not mean we cant look for extra talent elsewhere. We are still short a quality forward that can play in the middle or edge. I not convinced if Luciano is edge forward due to his defence, he may need to improve his fitness to play more of a front row role. Also another quality outside back that has speed and size. The top clubs get a lot of assistance from there back three to get them out of trouble.
I am still not convinced with Dufty at fullback with his defence and bringing the ball back.

JDHD

Juniors
Yeh Reece Robson is a bit of a mystery at the moment. I have watched him in ISP, he has won awards all that etc. His attack is good but I dont think he has the body yet for 1st grade defense because all good hookers have to make 50 odd tackles a game. That worries me ATM if McInnes went down..although Hunt could fill that void.
The same worries me about Field. (defense in 1st grade big issue)
Host well came on and showed some goods in 2018 but starting to pick up a fair few injuries.
Saab have not seen to judge
Ford does not impress me as a backrower relative to all the hype within our club about him. Has a work ethic but that is all I have seen. Appears tallish & slender and offers little in attack except just 1 out hit ups and has a few mistakes in him
The 3 L's...yeh yeh. Have the goods.
Lets face it when it comes to semi's and finals all attacks are stifled and it is all about defence and errors the way the game is refereed.
The Roosters proved that

Robson’s still growing though, he’ll fill out. I’d like to see him get a bench spot a few times next year and rotate with McInnes to develop him a bit.

Field’s defence gives me conniptions but he could fill the role of a Craig Wing style guy that comes on in the last ten of a half and wins you the game. But that’s a lot of pressure and a precious bench spot for a very hyped but still unproven kid.

Ah well, they’re good problems to have. Rather struggle to fit them all in than try to find enough to fill a 17.

possm

Coach
Lomax, Lawrie, Leilua, Field, Host, Saab, Ford, Robson...we’re fine.

Robson in particular is a gun

With Robson and McInnes why would we move Hunt to hooker? Robson will make SOO one day and hold McInnes to account throughout 2019. I really rate this player.

Datramp

Juniors

This happened 20 years ago. Get over it. Seriously. Steelers fans didnt want the joint venture just as much yet we have to read posts every day about how our 'Illawarra board/mafia/thugs' ruined the great name of the dragons and made them uncompetitive, or read about how the 'red rags' look terrible.

Successful clubs look to the future rather than continually complaining about events that happened 20 years ago.

2010 doesnt happen without the joint venture. a good chunk of the team were Illawarra juniors