What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Coach 2021 and Beyond

Who do you want to see as Dragons coach?

• Total voters

thebigredv

First Grade
We can finally look to the future and I for one am mighty excited again. The sack McGregor thread can finally be retired.

We will have to trust our suspect board to complete a rigorous process, but who do the fans want to take charge of this team and bring about a winning culture?

possm

Coach
We can finally look to the future and I for one am mighty excited again. The sack McGregor thread can finally be retired.

We will have to trust our suspect board to complete a rigorous process, but who do the fans want to take charge of this team and bring about a winning culture?
Bennett has endorsed Young and Wane has had is current contract extended. Flanagan does not look like being given any favours from the NRL. So from what is left on the list it has to be Fitzgibbon but if he keeps to his word, he is not available either.

So who is left? Griffin, Toovey, Walters, and Green. From this list, I would choose Griffin but I would have appointed him now because there is a lot of important work to do in preperation for season 2021.

I'd say that there is only one reason why the Board has appointed Dean Young as an interim coach. It is because the Board fully intend on appointing him head coach for 2021 and beyond. Deal is done and dusted.

Last edited:

Crush

Coach
Bennett has endorsed Young and Wane has had is current contract extended. Flanagan does not look like being given any favours from the NRL. So from what is left on the list it has to be Fitzgibbon but if he keeps to his word, he is not available either.

So who is left? Griffin, Toovey, Walters, and Green. From this list, I would choose Griffin but I would have appointed him now because there is a lot of important work to do in preperation for season 2021.

I'd say that there is only one reason why the Board has appointed Dean Young as an interim coach. It is because the Board fully intend on appointing him head coach for 2021 and beyond. Deal is done and dusted.
Give us a break Possm. The deal is done and dusted my ass!
Who should they have appointed interim coach then?
Dean was the assistant, he has been the assistant for a while now so he has stepped into interim coach. If from here they win the comp then yes he will be coach next year.
If they dont he won't.
Cheers

George Sancti

Juniors
If the Board is unable to secure a proven head coach for 2021, they may consider the appointment of a successful ex coach such as a Phil Gould or Tim Sheens to perform the role of Director of Coaching. The Director would primarily deal with the media, oversee recruitment and team selections and provide a mentoring role to junior and the more wayward players.

The Director would leave all day to day coaching of the squad to the most senior assistant coach (Flanagan). Once Flanagan’s ban is either lifted or expires, the Director’s role would become redundant and be replaced by a successful recruitment manager reporting the head coach.

RedVDave

First Grade
Todd Payten.
Neil Henry.
Stephen Kearney.
Dean Pay.

^ sarcasm obviously.

Last edited:

Coffs dragon

Bench
If they could successfully head Hunt him, I’d go with Fitzgibbon with Griffin as his senior assistant/adviser.

In all likely probability I’d say it will be Dean Young with Flanno as his assistant/advisor on a 1 year deal.
There certainly seems to be plenty of potential candidates that have announced their unavailability, hopefully some are telling porkies & apply in strict confidentiality.

possm

Coach
Give us a break Possm. The deal is done and dusted my ass!
Who should they have appointed interim coach then?
Dean was the assistant, he has been the assistant for a while now so he has stepped into interim coach. If from here they win the comp then yes he will be coach next year.
If they dont he won't.
Cheers
Shepherd is also an assistant who they hired when they brought over Flanagan. Young has been there from the very beginning and is part of the problem, not the solution to the problem.

I can't think of one thing that he has done as an assistant coach that has given me confidence his appointment was other than because of nepotism. I am sure the right move would have been to have a professional and experienced NRL coach lined up to take over at the point in time when Mary was sacked. In this way the new coach would have the next 6 weeks to sort out the 2021 roster and to plan remedial action to take care of the ill-discipline, lack of enthusiasm and discontent currently apparent within the squad.

Last night showed me that even without T Sims, Vaughan, Ford, De Belin and a replacement for James Graham, the boys could more than match it with a top 4 contender. So pointing to a squad of harmony in a farewell game for the sacked coach is ludicrous.

I'd say nepotism is at play and there for all to see. The ground is being prepared to appoint Young as head coach even though he is surely not the best man for the job.

To me it is another backroom deal where Young gets the head coach position and Millward gets the newly created General Manager Football position. I mean how many new positions need to be created to satisfy Millwards career ambitions?

possm

Coach
I reckon we just relax and see what happens now.
Yes of course, do not disturb the act of nepotism currently in motion. You should be on the Board Crush, you and the other Board members weem to make good bed fellows.

Changa

Juniors
Of available coaches in this list, Paul Green is the only one that ticks the boxes I would look at: experienced as a head coach, proven success (3 finals appearances, 2 gfs and one premiership in last 5 years), a current NRL coach, no affiliation with the club at all, track record of blooding juniors.

Dragsters

First Grade

Mate with all respect, you are the one virtually anointing Young by virtue of discounting half the possible contenders based purely on heresay and opinion.

It's almost like you want Young to get the job so have something to complain about.

Let's see how it plays out...

Last edited:

possm

Coach
Of available coaches in this list, Paul Green is the only one that ticks the boxes I would look at: experienced as a head coach, proven success (3 finals appearances, 2 gfs and one premiership in last 5 years), a current NRL coach, no affiliation with the club at all, track record of blooding juniors.
If JT was playing for the Dragons, we would have done a lot better over the last few years as well. It is worthy of note that Green did not do well once JT retired.

Crush

Coach
Shepherd is also an assistant who they hired when they brought over Flanagan. Young has been there from the very beginning and is part of the problem, not the solution to the problem.

I can't think of one thing that he has done as an assistant coach that has given me confidence his appointment was other than because of nepotism. I am sure the right move would have been to have a professional and experienced NRL coach lined up to take over at the point in time when Mary was sacked. In this way the new coach would have the next 6 weeks to sort out the 2021 roster and to plan remedial action to take care of the ill-discipline, lack of enthusiasm and discontent currently apparent within the squad.

Last night showed me that even without T Sims, Vaughan, Ford, De Belin and a replacement for James Graham, the boys could more than match it with a top 4 contender. So pointing to a squad of harmony in a farewell game for the sacked coach is ludicrous.

I'd say nepotism is at play and there for all to see. The ground is being prepared to appoint Young as head coach even though he is surely not the best man for the job.

To me it is another backroom deal where Young gets the head coach position and Millward gets the newly created General Manager Football position. I mean how many new positions need to be created to satisfy Millwards career ambitions?
Your obsession with Shepherd is funny.

Changa

Juniors
If JT was playing for the Dragons, we would have done a lot better over the last few years as well. It is worthy of note that Green did not do well once JT retired.

2017 gf run was without JT, Green got the best out of an average squad, that really had no right to make the big dance that year.

I would not take a punt personally on Fitzgibbon or any other candidate with no head coach experience. We've been through that failed experiement before with Brown in 03' and Price '12.

FlameThrower

Bench
If they could successfully head Hunt him, I’d go with Fitzgibbon with Griffin as his senior assistant/adviser.

In all likely probability I’d say it will be Dean Young with Flanno as his assistant/advisor on a 1 year deal.
There certainly seems to be plenty of potential candidates that have announced their unavailability, hopefully some are telling porkies & apply in strict confidentiality.
Sounds like we will be half pregnant.... this whole matrix of of advisors, selection committees and pathways & recruitment over riding the coach makes no sense.