What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons considering dropping “Illawarra” from their name

Gardenia

Juniors
I say let the Illawarra Steelers have a junior rugby league club which would thrive given the number of local junior clubs in the district. They could field a team in the NSWRL Competition and be a feeder club for the Dragons NRL side.

If this happened, I believe both Illawarra and St George would be much happier chappies.
Makes sense and a good idea

The Partisan

Will admit I haven't read through the whole thread but have done a search and can't see marketing mentioned anywhere.

That could have been one angle that the SGI management were looking at when raising the idea of a name change.

Sports teams that have the name of a city or region will most likely be more appealing to a novice or new spectator to a sport. Melbourne, Brisbane, Sydney, Gold Coast and to a lesser extent North Qld would be more instantly recognised globally than Canterbury - Bankstown, Cronulla - Sutherland or St. George Illawarra.

If in the future - say between the next 10 to 20 years - our game can grow to a point that it is a recognised and respected sport in new markets, in particular North America and Europe I would think those seeking merchandise would be very selective in their purchases.

An international tourist buying a jersey of the Southern Dragons,or Central Coast Eagles or West Sydney Bulldog when holidaying in Sydney would be more profound than a St George,Manly or Canterbury jersey.

Random Stats website on soccer jersey sales shows most are clubs with a major city or area in the name. Juventus sales were due to the signing of a major star (Rinaldo I think ?).

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1118294/football-shirt-sales-by-club/

As a SEQ based supporter of the Dragons for over 50 years I obviously don't have the 'on the ground' emotion of those who live or lived in the area.

However I do see our game eventually getting a global focus ...and those clubs with a smart marketing and identity team will reap the rewards.

CronullaSaint

Juniors
Will admit I haven't read through the whole thread but have done a search and can't see marketing mentioned anywhere.

That could have been one angle that the SGI management were looking at when raising the idea of a name change.

Sports teams that have the name of a city or region will most likely be more appealing to a novice or new spectator to a sport. Melbourne, Brisbane, Sydney, Gold Coast and to a lesser extent North Qld would be more instantly recognised globally than Canterbury - Bankstown, Cronulla - Sutherland or St. George Illawarra.

If in the future - say between the next 10 to 20 years - our game can grow to a point that it is a recognised and respected sport in new markets, in particular North America and Europe I would think those seeking merchandise would be very selective in their purchases.

An international tourist buying a jersey of the Southern Dragons,or Central Coast Eagles or West Sydney Bulldog when holidaying in Sydney would be more profound than a St George,Manly or Canterbury jersey.

Random Stats website on soccer jersey sales shows most are clubs with a major city or area in the name. Juventus sales were due to the signing of a major star (Rinaldo I think ?).

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1118294/football-shirt-sales-by-club/

As a SEQ based supporter of the Dragons for over 50 years I obviously don't have the 'on the ground' emotion of those who live or lived in the area.

However I do see our game eventually getting a global focus ...and those clubs with a smart marketing and identity team will reap the rewards.
Interesting. You mentioned the 3 teams I despise. Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney. I know I can be a bit contrary & it seems the great marketing is having the opposite effect on me.
I only follow the team because of the name ST GEORGE and the Illawarra part doesn't bother me, in fact I kind of warm to it.
You do have a good argument, but I think the success of some of the teams is because many of these are 1 club (major) cities & they have a lot of money backing them and influential people.
Our problem is because of poor decisions on board level & management. In 2010 when we won the competition this would never of been an issue.
Success evades problems & lack of success attracts & also creates them, wether real or not.

John moz

Juniors
Illawarra will be removed in the next 2 years from the st george logo and brand .
Illawarra no longer exists in the JV .

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Illawarra will be removed in the next 2 years from the st george logo and brand .
Illawarra no longer exists in the JV .
A 5 month bump of one thread to try and make a point in a different thread?

Illawarra really are living rent free in your head right now hey?

Is Illawarra in the room with us right now?

This Year?

Immortal
A 5 month bump of one thread to try and make a point in a different thread?

Illawarra really are living rent free in your head right now hey?

Is Illawarra in the room with us right now?
83uohl.jpg

possm

Coach
As I recall in the days of the 60s and 70s, the St George name was known in the rugby league world in the same way Manchester United was in the soccer world. Our brand name has been trashed by incompetence and poor management of the St George Leagues Club Board and later by the St George Illawarra Board.

All very difficult to repair now. I think the only real way forward would be to sell the WIN Corp shares to a fanatical millionaire St George supporter and renew half the board members each year through an election at an AGM. There may be a case to give 3 executive members a 5-year term.

Then invest in setting up a Steelers Junior Leagues Club in Wollongong and arrange for this club to be a feeder club for St 'George. Win could be part owner and financially support that club.

Trifili13

Juniors
As I recall in the days of the 60s and 70s, the St George name was known in the rugby league world in the same way Manchester United was in the soccer world. Our brand name has been trashed by incompetence and poor management of the St George Leagues Club Board and later by the St George Illawarra Board.

All very difficult to repair now. I think the only real way forward would be to sell the WIN Corp shares to a fanatical millionaire St George supporter and renew half the board members each year through an election at an AGM. There may be a case to give 3 executive members a 5-year term.

Then invest in setting up a Steelers Junior Leagues Club in Wollongong and arrange for this club to be a feeder club for St 'George. Win could be part owner and financially support that club.
So you expect WIN to sell their shares in the first grade team because they are not contributing to its progress and buy into a feeder club and put money into that? Good luck with that.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I think the best way forward is to have the St George team represent the NRL and Illawarra lower grades. So when we look at both tables next season we see St George Dragons in the NRL and the Illawarra Steelers in Cup no more ST George Illawarra in both. Players then go through Illawarra to become an NRL player to represent the St George Dragons seeing all the juniors come from there. That may rub the Illawarra fans the wrong way but that way both teams are mentioned for the full names when prior to merger.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I think the best way forward is to have the St George team represent the NRL and Illawarra lower grades. So when we look at both tables next season we see St George Dragons in the NRL and the Illawarra Steelers in Cup no more ST George Illawarra in both. Players then go through Illawarra to become an NRL player to represent the St George Dragons seeing all the juniors come from there. That may rub the Illawarra fans the wrong way but that way both teams are mentioned for the full names when prior to merger.
Agree 100%..

We’re one club now. Should act like it from top to bottom

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
We should also go back to having the leagues club fund everything.

And I’m a bit bored with this whole colour tv business.

Bring back black & white.