What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons girls are into the grand final

SBD82

Coach
f**k the haters. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the Womens comp. it’s a throwback to when footy wasn’t all about the wrestle.

And Jessica Sergis is an absolute superstar. Runs hard, hits hard, and looks like she loves every minute on the field.

I can’t undertand how anyone could not enjoy what we’ve seen so far.

TruSaint

Referee
Exactly. So what are the NRL supposed to do, have each team play each other 10 times in a season, or just not have a league until there's enough talent and lose all the players in the interim to other codes.

It's quite obvious that sports and leagues need to start from small numbers in order to establish a base and grow. The next generation of girls will be even bigger in number now

Wasn't that long ago neanderthals were giving the soccer code shite re women..

Anyone see the ratings of the Women's world Cup ? Off the charts. up 402% from the 2015 Women's World Cup

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/10/us-...world-cup-final-was-higher-than-the-mens.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Behind enemy lines: NRLW grand final v Broncos
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Tue 1 Oct 2019, 05:13 PM

Brisbane Broncos coach Kelvin Wright has named his 21-player squad to take on the St George Illawarra Dragons in the 2019 NRLW grand final at ANZ Stadium.

The Broncos receive a big boost in the inclusion of Australian Jillaroo Meg Ward, Ward who fought back from serious neck and knee injuries suffered in last year’s NRLW Premiership match.

Ward replaces Tamika Upton on the wing and rounds out a full strength Brisbane outfit.

Brisbane Broncos squad: Grand Final v St George Illawarra

1. Chelsea Baker
2. Julia Robinson
3. Amy Turner
4. Amber Pilley
5. Meg Ward
6. Raecene McGregor
7. Ali Brigginshaw
8. Millie Boyle
9. Lavinia Gould
10. Amber Hall
11. Annette Brander
12. Tazmin Gray
13. Rona Peters

Interchange
14. Tarryn Aiken
15. Steph Hancock
16. Mariah Storch
17. Chelsea Lenarduzzi

Reserves
18. Tamika Upton
19. Taylor Mapusua
20. Heather Ballinger
21. Rosemary Vaimili Toalepai

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/10/01/behind-enemy-lines-nrlw-grand-final-v-broncos/

Willow

Assistant Moderator
TEAMS: NRL Holden Women's Premiership 2019 Grand Final
LeagueUnlimited Media | October 1 2019 9:19AM

It's Teamlist Tuesday for 2019 NRL Holden Women's Premiership Grand Final! At 4pm on Tuesday, the full teams for the #NRLWGF will be posted right here!

All times are listed in AEST (NSW/QLD/VIC/ACT) unless otherwise noted.

Twitter: Follow @LeagueUnlimited

Brisbane Broncos v St George Illawarra Dragons
Sun October 6 2019, 4:05pm at ANZ Stadium

TL-BRI19.png

1. Chelsea Baker 2. Julia Robinson 3. Amy Turner 4. Amber Pilley 5. Meg Ward 6. Raecene McGregor 7. Ali Brigginshaw 8. Millie Boyle 9. Lavinia Gould 10. Amber Hall 11. Annette Brander 12. Tazmin Gray 13. Rona Peters 14. Tarryn Aiken 15. Steph Hancock 16. Mariah Storch 17. Chelsea Lenarduzzi 18. Tamika Upton 19. Taylor Mapusua 20. Heather Ballinger 21. Rosemary Vaimili Toalepai

21-woman squad • The Broncos have made the one change to their squad with Meg Ward coming back into the 17 on the wing after missing last week's defeat to the Warriors. Tamika Upton is the player to have been dropped back to the reserves.

TL-SGI19.png

1. Botille Vette-Welsh 2. Rikeya Horne 3. Jessica Sergis 4. Tiana Penitani 5. Shakiah Tungai 6. Keeley Davis 7. Maddie Studdon 8. Ngatokotoru Arakua 9. Brittany Breayley 10. Maitua Feterika 11. Kezie Apps 12. Shaylee Bent 13. Holli Wheeler 14. Aaliayah Fasavalu-Faamausili 15. Takilele Katoa 16. Maddison Weatherall 17. Najvada George 18. Sarah Togatuki 19. Stephanie Mooka 20. Lexi Kiriwi

21-woman squad • The Dragons have made no changes to their winning side from last week, five-eighth Kimiora Nati hasn't recovered from illness that has kept her out for the previous two weeks. The Dragons have also named just a 20-woman squad due to a lack of players to fill the full 21.

Match Officials
Referees: Kasey Badger, Daniel Schwass;Sideline Officials: Jordan Morel, Karra-lee Nolan;Video Referees: Steve Chiddy, Bryan Norrie;

Kasey Badger has been given the nod to take control of the NRLW grand final. This is Badger's second NRLW grand final in a row after being assist ref to Jon Stone in last year's decider. She'll be joined by former Gold Coast Titans U20s player turned whistle blower Daniel Schwass

https://leagueunlimited.com/news/leagueunlimited-nrl-womens-teams-2019-grand-final/

getsmarty

Immortal
mary-k_20191002.jpg

LADIES WHO LEAGUE

Penitani hoping dream year ends with another high
Author
Mary Konstantopoulos NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Wed 2 Oct 2019, 12:01 PM

Tiana Penitani has reached a few firsts in her sporting career in 2019, but the one she achieved at Leichhardt Oval last weekend may just be her favourite.

She represented Australia in Rugby Sevens before her first foray in rugby league in 2019 resulted in a State of Origin debut for NSW and a key role in helping the Dragons reach Sunday's NRLW grand final.

The special aspect of last Sunday's stand-alone match between the Dragons and Roosters was the knowledge Penitani had that a host of family and friends were watching her play live for the first time.

"Most of my family and friends have never seen me play because when I was playing rugby, I was playing overseas for the majority of the time," Penitani said.

"I've been playing footy for quite a long time so for so many of my family and friends to get the chance to see me play live was really special. It was really nice to have some familiar faces in the stands."

What an occasion it was for those special people in her life.

Harbour Bridge lit up in grand final week

As well as being a big day for Penitani, the match doubled as a farewell for Ruan Sims - a woman Penitani has admired for many years.

"I look up to Ruan so much because of the transition that she made; captaining Australia in rugby union and then all of the achievements and the accolades she has racked up playing rugby league. She is quite an incredible person," Penitani said.

With the win over Sims' Roosters on Sunday, the Dragons booked their spot in the premiership decider.

I know it was a shock for many of the players, with Penitani and Kezie Apps in disbelief on the bus ride home.

Match: Broncos v Dragons

Grand Final - Sunday 6th October

4:05pm

Home Team

Broncos

1st Position

Away Team

Dragons

2nd Position

Venue: ANZ Stadium, Sydney

Match broadcasters:

• Nine Network
  • Foxtel
  • GEM
  • KAYO
  • LIVE PASS
The scary thing is I have a feeling we haven't seen the best of the Dragons this season.

Many predicted the Dragons would be the team to beat this season. With talent like Apps, Maddie Studdon, Jessica Sergis and Brittany Breayley in the squad, big things were expected.

Things didn't click straight away with the Broncos winning the round one meeting between the two teams.

For Penitani, the pressure that came with a first up loss reflects the challenges associated with such a short NRLW season.

"Being in the NRLW is really tough. You are together for an eight-week period where all these players are thrown into a brand new team and have to get their combinations right really quickly and you have to build culture really quickly," Penitani said.

NRLW tackle of the year nominees

"It’s not easy to do with big personalities and lots of talent in the room, but we had a process and Daniel Lacey had a plan for us. The biggest thing for us is family – we place a lot of emphasis on family and the broader community as well as the talent that we’ve got at the Dragons.

"I think we knew that over time our combinations would gel and we wanted to peak in the grand final, not round one."

It was that second game against the Warriors where the Dragons showed what they were capable of, running away to win 26-6. They have not looked back.

Penitani's personal interest on Sunday extends beyond the Dragons team she is a part of.

Her fiance Aaron Gray will be playing for the Newtown Jets in the State Championship decider against the Burleigh Bears.

Neither Penitani or Gray could watch the other live last weekend with one game at Leichhardt Oval and the other at Bankwest Stadium.

NRLW try of the year nominees

Gray watched the end of Penitani's game just before he went out to prepare and Penitani got hold of her phone as soon as she could after her game to keep track of the score in Gray's match.

But the duo will have a big cheer squad there on Sunday, with Penitani's mum being on the phone trying to secure more tickets once both results were confirmed.

It would be a fitting end to the season if this couple both lift premiership trophies on Sunday afternoon.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/10/02/penitani-hoping-dream-year-ends-with-another-high/

getsmarty

Immortal
weatherallm-1gp_6595.jpg

WOMEN'S RUGBY LEAGUE

Dragons to determined to win NRLW for suspended Fotu-Moala
Author
Alicia Newton NRLW Chief Reporter
Timestamp
Wed 2 Oct 2019, 11:01 AM
newtonalicia-head.png

St George Illawarra rookie Maddison Weatherall says the Dragons are determined to win the NRLW title on Sunday for suspended teammate Teuila Fotu-Moala.

Fotu-Moala became the first woman in NRLW history charged and banned after a crusher tackle on Brisbane's Lavinia Gould in last month's opening round resulted in a three-game ban.

The club's decision to seek a downgrade backfired in the end with the former Broncos forward forced to sit out an extra week - the grand final on Sunday.

The Dragons have rallied around Fotu-Moala and the incident had a unifying effect on the team.

St George Illawarra won their next two games and found form after they dropped their first-round clash against the Broncos at Bankwest Stadium.

"All of us have tried to play for her and we made a pact to take out the competition for her and all the other girls who can't play," Weatherall told NRL.com.

Every NRLW try from Round 3

"We hit their middle a lot in the first game but in the last couple of matches we've gone to our edges and it's been a lot better.

"It's going to be a big crowd because of the men's game shortly after, we're excited but it's a bit nerve-racking so we've got to contain that."

For Weatherall, who turned 18 just three days before the competition started a month ago to make herself eligible, the second season of the NRLW has been a long time coming.

The NSW under 18s representative was in the Dragons' system last year but couldn't play due to age restrictions.

She's now one of Daniel Lacey's most important impact players coming off the bench.

Match: Broncos v Dragons

Grand Final - Sunday 6th October

4:05pm

Home Team

Broncos

1st Position

Away Team

Dragons

2nd Position

Venue: ANZ Stadium, Sydney

Match broadcasters:

• Nine Network
  • Foxtel
  • GEM
  • KAYO
  • LIVE PASS
"I just try my hardest not to get pumped," Weatherall laughed.

"It was hard last year to just train with the girls but not be able to play ... But I feel more ready now.

"It's a lot harder than the 18s game I played a few months ago, you're playing grown women and I haven't really been able to do that. I just run hard and close my eyes."

Weatherall grew up with four brothers and parents with a strong rugby league background.

Weatherall says her mother Tracy is one of her biggest supporters but harshest critics and likes to compare her daughter's performances to that of her own when she was playing the game as a teenager in New Zealand.

"She tries to tell me how she was better than me at this age and that I should be smashing people," Weatherall said.

Match Highlights: Dragons v Roosters

"It makes me laugh, I'm convinced she's just talking crap but talking to my uncles they say how tough she was. It actually would be cool to represent New Zealand one day for her.

"That's my next little goal I'd like to tick."

Tickets for the NRL Telstra Premiership Grand Final 2019 are now on sale to the general public.

Tickets are available through Ticketek and nrl.com/tickets.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/201...ermined-to-win-nrlw-for-suspended-fotu-moala/

getsmarty

Immortal
'Over the moon': Stunned Sergis collects women's Dally M Medal
Author
Troy Whittaker NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Wed 2 Oct 2019, 10:53 PM

Dragons star Jessica Sergis has completed the first leg of what could be a career-defining double by winning the female Dally M Medal in Sydney on Wednesday night.

Sergis became the second NRLW player to win the game's highest individual honour after Brittany Breayley at Sydney's Hordern Pavilion on Wednesday night.

With three tries, a try assist, 21 tackle breaks and an average of 153 metres per match in three appearances this season, Sergis was a deserved recipient.

The 22-year-old St George Illawarra star said it was the "pinnacle" of her career to date but there could be even bigger things to come on Sunday when the Dragons tackle Brisbane in the NRLW grand final at ANZ Stadium.

"I did not expect it at all. It's major," Sergis told NRL.com.

"Coming so close last year and now being here and winning it, it's the pinnacle for me at the moment. I'm absolutely over the moon.

"It's been such a big year for women's rugby league, it's growing tremendously and getting better and better. This is definitely just the icing – it's amazing.

"If we win the premiership on Sunday, I won't be able to beat 2019. I'm lost for words."

lomaxz-sergisj_2nh_8017.jpg

Zac Lomax and Jessica Sergis arrive in style at the Dally Ms. :copyright:Nathan Hopkins/NRL Photos
While acknowledging the enormity of the award, the team-first Sergis was already thinking about how her Dragons colleagues would react at training on Thursday morning.

"The girls are going to be so pumped. We're going to have a good week to get ready for that premiership. I think it's definitely boosted all our confidence," Sergis said.

"I'll enjoy tonight and then we'll knuckle down back into training tomorrow. We've got to take it pretty seriously to beat those Broncos."

Studdon: Dragons can go to another level

St George Illawarra lost 14-4 to reigning premiers Brisbane in round one but after recovering with consecutive victories to make the decider, Sergis has faith the Red V can reverse the result when it counts.

"We knew round one, it was our first game together to gel as a team. We didn’t play our best footy; there were a lot of silly mistakes," Sergis said.

"I know that we've worked on that and we know how to fix that. Having two back-to-back do-or-die wins is making us even hungrier.

"I know the Broncos will want that back-to-back but we're even hungrier."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/10/02/over-the-moon-stunned-sergis-collects-womens-dally-m-medal/

getsmarty

Immortal
experts_20191003.jpg

OPINION

NRL.com predicts NRLW grand final winner
Author
NRL.com
Timestamp
Thu 3 Oct 2019, 09:01 AM

Who will win the 2019 NRLW grand final? Can the Broncos make it back-to-back premierships or will be Dragons get the job done.

The experts at NRL.com have their say on who which team will be celebrating on Sunday night.

NRL.com experts view
Steve Renouf (Maroons legend)
The Broncos will go back-to-back because their forwards are disciplined and just grind the opposition into the ground. Out wide they have rampaging backs like Amber Pilley who is devastating close to the line. The Broncos have impressed me as the best-drilled team in the competition and particularly in defence where they give away nothing. Broncos by 4

Brett Kimmorley (Former NSW halfback)
Broncos. As they did last year when the won the premiership they've played with consistency. They've got two ex-NRL players (Corey Parker and Simon Mannering) helping with the coaching and having been there last year they'll be ready. Broncos by 4

Jamie Soward (Premiership winner)
Ali Brigginshaw is the world's premier halfback. Her experience will prove vital. She will steer her side to victory. Broncos by 2

Match Highlights: Dragons v Roosters

Alicia Newton (NRLW Chief Reporter)
Brisbane will bounce back with a far better performance after suffering their first NRLW loss last week and have experience on their side but the Dragons have created the momentum and won't be overawed. Dragons by 8

Margie McDonald (NRL.com senior reporter)
This is virtually a State of Origin match as the Broncos had nine Queenslanders in their 17 last weekend against the Warriors, while the Dragons had eight rep players in their 17 at Leichhardt Oval against the Roosters. Brisbane already have an NRLW premiership so let's spread the love. Dragons by 2

Zac Bailey (NRL.com reporter)
The Dragons. Back-to-back wins gives them the momentum heading into the grand final. The Red V turned a corner in the second half of their round two match against the Warriors – and haven't missed a beat since. If their forwards can dominate the middle, Maddie Studdon will take control and link with their strike weapons on the edge in Jess Sergis and Tiana Penitani. Dragons by 8

Michael Chammas (NRL.com chief reporter)
The Brisbane Broncos are a class above the rest of the pack, however, the Dragons have hit their straps at the right time. The Dragons would have learned some valuable lessons from the first loss of the season and expect them to make the adjustments needed to deny the Broncos going back to back. Dragons by 4

Chris Kennedy (NRL.com reporter)
The Dragons have looked potent during the past fortnight while Brisbane are coming off their first-ever NRLW loss. I just see the Broncos having a touch too much polish. Brisbane by 4

Match Highlights: Broncos v Warriors

Dan Walsh (NRL.com reporter)
They may have lost last weekend, but the Broncos have been the best team the NRLW has seen over its first two years. They're good enough to get over the line against a strong Dragons team. Broncos by 2

Brad Walter (NRL.com senior reporter)
St George Illawarra. The Dragons only loss was a narrow defeat by the Broncos in the opening game and since then they have got better with each match. St George Illawarra have a mobile forward pack and strike across their backline. Dragons by 4

Joel Gould (NRL.com reporter)
The Dragons look to be hitting their straps and realising their potential with big game players Kezie Apps, Jessica Sergis, Maddie Studdon, Maitua Feterika and Brittany Breayley all potential game-breakers. The Broncos will be favourites but the experience of the Dragons will get them home. Dragons by 4

It's anyone's game

Paul Suttor (NRL.com editor)
The Dragons will have learned plenty of lessons from their loss to the Broncos in the opening round of the NRLW. They've improved each week of the competition since that day and can upset Brisbane at ANZ Stadium if they spin the ball out wide nice and early to their speedy outside backs. Dragons by 2

Mary Konstantopoulos (Ladies Who League)
It may have taken the St George Illawarra Dragons a couple of weeks to click, but I'm confident we still haven't seen the best this team has to offer. The combination of Keely Davis and Maddie Studdon is working well for the Dragons and added to the attacking potential of the likes of Jessica Sergis and Tiana Penitani. Dragons by 4

Brett Keeble (NRL.com reporter)
The Dragons will break the Broncos' domination of the NRLW and claim the title on Sunday. Pre-season favourites, the Dragons' combinations have improved during the competition and they will take the next step by defeating the defending premiers in a close match. Dragons by 1

Maria Tsialis (Big League editor)
The Dragons can definitely threaten the Broncos but I don't see the women from Brisbane dropping two in a row following their shock loss to the Warriors last week. Their forward pack is excellent and it should create plenty of space for for their halves and hooker. Broncos by 10

Studdon excited to play 'friends'

Tanisha Stanton (NRL.com reporter)
The Dragons had a slow start to the season but in the last two weeks they have found their groove. They will also be wanting revenge for not making the grand final last year so they'll be prepared to step up to the occasion on Sunday. On the edges is where they will win this match - watch out for Jess Sergis and Tiana Penitani. Dragons by 12

Lone Scout (NRL Fantasy expert)
Brisbane have been the most successful team in the short history of the NRLW and they will have the bounce-back factor on their side after suffering their first NRLW defeat last week. The Dragons have plenty of stars and should be competitive. Brisbane by 4

Troy Whittaker (NRL.com reporter)
St George Illawarra were below their best in round one but still managed to compete with Brisbane for most of the match. While the Dragons have now hit form, the Broncos' confidence may be shaky. Dragons by 8

Aussie artists join the 2019 Grand Final entertainment

Tony Webeck (NRL.com reporter)
Last week's loss to the Warriors will only be a hiccup for the Broncos. Return of Meg Ward on the wing is a bonus and the experience of Ali Brigginshaw will be crucial in their pursuit of a second straight NRLW title. Broncos by 2

Corey Rosser (NRL.com reporter)
When the Dragons have switched it on in attack over the past fortnight they've looked near unstoppable. If they can find space for the likes of Jessica Sergis and Tiana Penitani on Sunday, St George Illawarra will have too many points in them. Dragons by 4

Kenny Scott (NRL.com podcaster)
Brisbane have shown this season that they know how to get the job done, with the only exception being their last game against the Warriors where they missed a match-levelling conversion and were denied a try in interesting circumstances. The Dragons have gotten better as the season went on, but the Broncos will hold steady. Broncos by 10

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/10/03/nrl.com-predicts-nrlw-grand-final-winner/

Dragon David

First Grade
The SGI women can win the Grand Final. Broncos will play it tough but our girls will be playing tougher in both defence (wins grand finals) and attack. Give early ball to Jess Sergis in attack and see us score some tries and then our girls need to defend the lead until the final siren. Daniel Lacey will need to drum these things into the girls and for them to show no mercy on the field!!

GC Dragon

Juniors
f**k the haters. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the Womens comp. it’s a throwback to when footy wasn’t all about the wrestle.

And Jessica Sergis is an absolute superstar. Runs hard, hits hard, and looks like she loves every minute on the field.

I can’t undertand how anyone could not enjoy what we’ve seen so far.
100% agree well said . I want to congratulate Jess Sergis on her Dally M win . Had the pleasure of meeting her and she is a absolute little champion both on and off the field .
My favorite Dragons player ( men or women ) and in my opinion our clubs best player . All the best for the Grand Final girls give those Bronco's a hiding .
And if you have any sense young Zac you will lock that girl up long term ! .

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The SGI women can win the Grand Final. Broncos will play it tough but our girls will be playing tougher in both defence (wins grand finals) and attack. Give early ball to Jess Sergis in attack and see us score some tries and then our girls need to defend the lead until the final siren. Daniel Lacey will need to drum these things into the girls and for them to show no mercy on the field!!
The more they play together the better they get. But Broncos will lift after their loss to the Warriors.

Saints will have to lift as well. I'm glad the game against Easts wasn't an easy win, they did test us on occasion.

Game plan will be different. At Leichhardt Maddie Studdon could have gone the grubber more, not that running it on the last was a bad tactic, it just didn't work out against Easts' goal line defence (which definitely improved for that game). Broncos won't be as forgiving. Also, Studdon came within a whisker of kicking a 40/20, when she only needed a 40/30. Her long kicking game has got better imo.

On the day, whoever has the better boot might be the difference.

Dragon David

First Grade
The more they play together the better they get. But Broncos will lift after their loss to the Warriors.

Saints will have to lift as well. I'm glad the game against Easts wasn't an easy win, they did test us on occasion.

Game plan will be different. At Leichhardt Maddie Studdon could have gone the grubber more, not that running it on the last was a bad tactic, it just didn't work out against Easts' goal line defence (which definitely improved for that game). Broncos won't be as forgiving. Also, Studdon came within a whisker of kicking a 40/20, when she only needed a 40/30. Her long kicking game has got better imo.

On the day, whoever has the better boot might be the difference.
You could very well be right Willow. A good kicking game by our girls and defending them in their half is needed.
We have a couple of good game breakers in the team, one of which is Jess. So go the mighty SGIW team on Sunday!!