What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons interested in Valentine Holmes

denis preston

First Grade
Annoys the shit out of me how people talk about sides in a non professional era like they would even beat an U20s team now a days. Skill level was horrible back then.

Holmes is an amazing talent there is just no chance the Sharks would ever let him go.

Sorry OP , a champion is a champion in any era. Skill level ??? Hookers who hook,Forwards who passed the ball , kicking duals , chip over the top, run arounds etc .The skill was there. Sure Dragons would not have won 11 in a row but all the players would lap up todays professionalism.

V

Vasilevsky

Now you're getting confused.
Perfect.
Now go and read other people's interactions with you.
That's how they feel.

Other peoples interactions with me? Have you been spying on me? Is that you "Miller was a legend"? It's confusing. You have really tripped me up now. Surely my personality isn't that large I would have 2 Shonkies supporters hanging off my every word. I mean, I can't claim to be anything like this guy. When you stopped immediately replying demonstrating you were waiting for me to post a message, that further made me suspect. I think it's good you learn from your mistakes. You shouldn't make it too obvious. This time you should do the same thing. Wait for a few other people to post messages before replying to me. It makes it less obvious.

But now I have told you what to do, you can't do it!! If in fact it is even you! If not, what in your opinion makes Shonkies supporters hang off my every word? I don't even find it flattering. Far more annoying than flattering.

Anyway, your reply should make it more obvious if you post anything more than a sentence or two.
As far as others on this forum, I know "BennyV" thinks very highly of me. The Serb hates me but is scared of me. A very atypical Serb. But then again, he isn't really a Serb.

V

Vasilevsky

I see modesty is a strong suit.

"That" premiership implies one, what about the 11 in row?

Willow is so old, he remembers being in his adult life watching Norm, Reg, Raper, Langlands et al.

Your personal guidance through this period of success must be a fond memory.

I am the alpha and omega, the destroyer and creator of worlds.The inevitable and indomitable. That cataclysm and resurrection.

Other peoples interactions with me? Have you been spying on me? Is that you "Miller was a legend"? It's confusing. You have really tripped me up now. Surely my personality isn't that large I would have 2 Shonkies supporters hanging off my every word. I mean, I can't claim to be anything like this guy. When you stopped immediately replying demonstrating you were waiting for me to post a message, that further made me suspect. I think it's good you learn from your mistakes. You shouldn't make it too obvious. This time you should do the same thing. Wait for a few other people to post messages before replying to me. It makes it less obvious.

But now I have told you what to do, you can't do it!! If in fact it is even you! If not, what in your opinion makes Shonkies supporters hang off my every word? I don't even find it flattering. Far more annoying than flattering.

Anyway, your reply should make it more obvious if you post anything more than a sentence or two.
As far as others on this forum, I know "BennyV" thinks very highly of me. The Serb hates me but is scared of me. A very atypical Serb. But then again, he isn't really a Serb.

But do you like apples?

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade

:crazy::crazy:LOL SOMEONE JUST LOST THEIR SHIT!!:crazy::crazy:

SBD82

Coach

I'm confused (by more things than just this).

Am I the Serb that is not really a Serb?

Old Timer

Coach
Annoys the shit out of me how people talk about sides in a non professional era like they would even beat an U20s team now a days. Skill level was horrible back then.

Holmes is an amazing talent there is just no chance the Sharks would ever let him go.

Because you think Holmes is an amazing talent does not instantly condemn those from a previous era to rank amateurs.

All the remarkable things people look at today and applaud were done in similar fashion years ago the trouble being little footage to review so you had to be there to see and appreciate it.

A few examples

Bishop and Millward could run 1 direction cross kick to the corner and the winger score in the corner in the 60's long before Andrew Johns, Billy Slater.

The greatest no try of all time Langlands running from the 25 diving into the in goal and catching the kick from Dennis Ward on the full (actually available on Youtube). Again long before all this diving from the field over the dead ball and side line tapping it back.

Johhny "The Bomber" Peard putting the ball into a position that was almost indefeasible for his running backs to leap and score. Long before all the versions seen today.

Langlands catching the ball in the St George in goal, side stepping 4 players to pass to Gasnier to pass to Trevor Lake to score at the other right on half time against Souths at the SCG. Long range tries by real speedsters Irvine, Cleary, Mullins, Boston, Lumsden, Gasnier were not uncommon.

Ken Irvine's try scoring record still unbeaten today and anyone who does beat it will have played a hell of a lot more games. His ability to hug the sideline and beat players with blinding speed long before the Hayne tip toe run. Irvine's strike record for tries akin to Bradman's batting average "out of the realm of normal players".

Team kicks out on the full from the kick off was often a mandatory kick at goal from half way Barnes, Simms, Longbottom, Batty, Langlands, Puig Aubert to name a few.

All of the above with a pig skin football subject to being water logged and mud covered.

Last but not least Vince Karalius, Noel Kelly, Kevin Ryan & Rocky Turner would easily shape up to any of the toughies from the modern era and hold their own either in the ring or behind the grandstand.

Ask yourself a different question "who in todays game could go back in time, train twice a week only, not use drugs or equipment to enhance performance and hold down a full-time job" and be as good as they were?

Let it all out boyo!
Even a yo-yo gets tangled in itself sometimes.

Last edited:
Because you think Holmes is an amazing talent does not instantly condemn those from a previous era to rank amateurs.

All the remarkable things people look at today and applaud were done in similar fashion years ago the trouble being little footage to review so you had to be there to see and appreciate it.

A few examples

Bishop and Millward could run 1 direction cross kick to the corner and the winger score in the corner in the 60's long before Andrew Johns, Billy Slater.

The greatest no try of all time Langlands running from the 25 diving into the in goal and catching the kick from Dennis Ward on the full (actually available on Youtube). Again long before all this diving from the field over the dead ball and side line tapping it back.

Johhny "The Bomber" Peard putting the ball into a position that was almost indefeasible for his running backs to leap and score. Long before all the versions seen today.

Smithy kicking for Langlands with pinpoint accuracy to dissect Manly fullback and winger in a semi final, making ball bounce on its point back in to the hands of langlands in an SCG Semi.

First time Changa scores. Second time Changa is tackled and as he is falling slips the ball back to Smithy who scores to beat Manly.

Langlands without doubt the greatest full back I have seen in 50 years.

Amazing cover defender, impossible to stop with the ball in his hands.

Langlands catching the ball in the St George in goal, side stepping 4 players to pass to Gasnier to pass to Trevor Lake to score at the other right on half time against Souths at the SCG. Long range tries by real speedsters Irvine, Cleary, Mullins, Boston, Lumsden, Gasnier were not uncommon.

Ken Irvine's try scoring record still unbeaten today and anyone who does beat it will have played a hell of a lot more games. His ability to hug the sideline and beat players with blinding speed long before the Hayne tip toe run. Irvine's strike record for tries akin to Bradman's batting average "out of the realm of normal players".

Team kicks out on the full from the kick off was often a mandatory kick at goal from half way Barnes, Simms, Longbottom, Batty, Langlands, Puig Aubert to name a few.

All of the above with a pig skin football subject to being water logged and mud covered.

Last but not least Vince Karalius, Noel Kelly, Kevin Ryan & Rocky Turner would easily shape up to any of the toughies from the modern era and hold their own either in the ring or behind the grandstand.

Ask yourself a different question "who in todays game could go back in time, train twice a week only, not use drugs or equipment to enhance performance and hold down a full-time job" and be as good as they were?

Old Timer

Coach
Highland Saint

I forgot to add that when "Wombat Eadie" got hurt during the 74 series against the Pommies Changa was recalled to the test side, made captain and played a champions game, kicked a goal from the sideline near full time to become the first player to score 100 points against the English and was carried off on the shoulders of great players from a great side and the chant Changa, Changa went on for the whole game and long after it.

Nobody from the modern era has ever been accorded such an accolade and I doubt ever will.

The closest would have been "Wally is a wanker" so that says a lot for the modern game.