What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons master coach signs Tigers' Tuqiri clone

Gaba

First Grade
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,25733607-5006066,00.html

STANDING at 192cm and weighing 100kg, Wests Tigers winger Peni Tagive has been described as a Lote Tuqiri double. St George Illawarra coach Wayne Bennett, who moulded Tuqiri's NRL career, has sneaked under the Tigers' guard to sign Tagive to a two-year deal.
From the production line that produced Israel Folau, Krisnan Inu and Jarryd Hayne, Tagive, 20, will join one of the game's best backlines.
"It was a very hard decision because I have been with the Tigers since school,'' Tagive said. "I grew up in Campbelltown, so they were always my club. But at this stage of my career I just felt I had to make a move. Going to play under Wayne Bennett was a big attraction and I felt really encouraged when I met with him.''
Tagive graduated from the 2006 Australian Schoolboys side that contained Folau, Chris Lawrence, Mitchell Pearce, Chris Sandow and Tim Mannah.
"I remember having a close look at him when I was coaching the Queensland side,'' said Australian Schoolboys coach Brendan Barlow. "He was just so tall and athletic. He was probably a bit green back then, but he was obviously good enough to go on and partner Israel Folau in the centres in the Australian Schoolboys team. He looks like a kid with a big future.''
Injury has restricted Tagive to just eight NRL games but the Fijian flyer has shown enough to suggest he is a player of the future. "Tim Sheens has been great to me,'' Tagive said. "I know I have been injured a bit and I haven't been able to give them a lot of time on the field. I just need to move on and take a step forward.''
Tagive's manager, Sam Ayoub, revealed the East Campbelltown junior was being hunted by several NRL clubs. "There were a few clubs interested in Peni, but after meeting with Wayne he felt the Dragons would be the best fit for him,'' Ayoub said. "He has been restricted by a couple of shoulder injuries but he has stuck in there. He is very committed to the game and ... and I think he has a very big future.''
Former Wests Tigers forward Scott Sattler this year compared Tagive to dual international Tuqiri in terms of size and pace. "He's cut from the same mould as Lote Tuqiri - a big, strong athlete - so he can play like another forward, and he's lightning fast,'' Sattler said.
"I'm tipping he's going to be something out of the box. He's almost 100kg and he can really fly.''

thommo4pm

Coach
Good back up signing for Wing and Centre position.
We have Morris & Nighty for the wing spot next year and Coops / Scott for the centre spot.
Tagive will keep all of them honest and could even push Scott into the backrow again.

condochook

Juniors
and isnt great that st merge doesnt have any salary cap issues.
or are they all playing for free because of benny

maestro1

Bench
and isnt great that st merge doesnt have any salary cap issues.
or are they all playing for free because of benny

Ok CONDOM chook, I'll take your bait...........

The guy has a whole 3 games under his belt. How expensive could he be. If you are referring to our purchase of Fein, then you do know he wasn't wanted and was playing in some park in New Zulland. Also we have released Chase Stanley, who was on a fairly big contract. We also have Justin Poore's money available and from all reports we still had some room to move on our cap before all this happened.

Now let's focus on you guys.........Todd Carney, Mitchell Pearce re-signed for 4 years for a motza, Willie Mason's contract was back loaded and he is now on 500 to 600 a season. The roosters stated this at the time he signed. They could only afford 180 for the first year, so they backloaded his contract. they think everybody forgot about this. Well as long as Ian Stupid (salary cap auditor and ex-easts star) does, it won't affect your cap. Setimata Sa needs an upgrade and Perrett got his earlier this year. You'll need to keep Paea, Myles got an upgrade as he was about to heda north. Friend, Symonds, Jones, etc will all need upgrades. Fitzgibbon already stade he resigned season 2009 onm a muchly reduced contract, so the roosters can't use that one as a big help.O'Meley and shackleton will free up a bit, but Carney's signature should chew up most of O'Meley's and the upgrades will take care of Shackleton, who wasn't on much due to a career riddled with injury. You pinched hargreaves from the eagles, that cost more than he is worth and there is speculaTION your want Foran.Mason, Pearce, Anasta, Carney and Myles contracts are huge as they were all in demand at time of purchase. Basically you paid overs for them. Thes 5 alone should see you with no major additions to your squad. But we are talking about the roosters and Ian stupid couldn't find a punch if it was landed on his nose - especially when the roosters are concerned. Which way did they go, which way did they go. ............

Dragon_psa

First Grade
Good signing. I could have sworn that Canberra had signed him, as per the original Tagive thread.

jpaciocco91

Juniors
I also thought Canberra had signed him. Great acquisition though, an ideal replacement for Stanley. We sure do have plenty of wingers at the moment!

I haven't seen him do anything special at Balmain yet so until I see otherwise to me he will be considered a back-up to Morris and winger-come-prop Nightingale.

Changa

Juniors
Flo's days as a winger are all but over imo, I can see Bennett wanted to add a few kgs to his frame and continue playing him as a utility off the bench or train him as a centre...as Bennett said, the bloke is a genuine footy player and he has the ability to mould him to whatever he likes.

mightydragon

Juniors
I want Dell there forever. His impact on the team's attitude, his hit ups, his tries and the antics before, during and after games can not be underestimated in our resurgence.