What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Media

Wolfgang90

Juniors

Ben Hunt on SEN

- Says Hook has given more responsibilities to the Assistant coaches
- Trying to get more consistency in Lomax best game and worst game
- Mbye wants to become a hooker & has been training in that position
- Impressed with Lawrie, could be in for career best year
- Personal goal is to play finals footy with the Dragons

redVinme

Bench

Ben Hunt on SEN

- Says Hook has given more responsibilities to the Assistant coaches
- Trying to get more consistency in Lomax best game and worst game
- Mbye wants to become a hooker & has been training in that position
- Impressed with Lawrie, could be in for career best year
- Personal goal is to play finals footy with the Dragons
Mbyes only skill as a hooker is being too small to be a forward and too slow to be a back.

Being bog average in all positions doesn't make you versatile it just makes you shit.

Funny hunt wants to make finals but his only chance will be to play nice and share with the other spine players so will be interesting to see if he can

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
We have heard from the CEO Ryan Webb

It’s been a testing off season for the club and it’s great that we will finally get to look ahead and watch our team play this weekend as we take on the Titans at home.

Everyone at the club was disappointed with the recent actions of some players. Much of this negativity stems from poor individual decision making and it’s something we are working towards correcting, as it takes attention away from all the positive work around the club, has potential to hurt our on-field progress, and disappoints our fans and community.

The Dragons will always act quickly and strongly in terms of discipline when appropriate, but we must be conscious of legal proceedings and processes that need to be followed to ensure we act on the right information and outcomes.

We respect the intent of the NRL’s no-fault stand down policy and appreciate that they have taken into account the changing circumstances around Junior Amone’s case and allowed him to play. As a club we remain conscious and respectful of the ongoing legal proceedings.

Progress continues on the Community and High-Performance Centre. There is still a lot of work to do but we are pressing forward and there is genuine excitement building throughout the club as the benefits of the facility become more and more apparent to everyone from our commercial team, community department, pathways programs, NRLW and of course the NRL.

The Dragons are supporting a new podcast hosted by Christian McEwan of i98 FM, which is aimed at keeping you informed of all things Dragons. We have given them licence to not only focus on the positives, but to challenge our thinking and actions and we’ll aim to be as open and transparent as possible. Our players and prominent members of the club will be guests throughout the season and I was fortunate to be the inaugural guest this week. Keep an eye out on our social channels for the first episode being released in the coming days.

NRL
We now have 29 players signed following the addition of Paul Turner from Gold Coast and the upgrade of Toby Couchman to the Top 30 list.

Paul gives us coverage across our halves and fullback. He is an impressive young man with a lot of talent and we hope to see some good football from him throughout the year.

It will be exciting to see Toby, a local product of our development pathways, make his debut this weekend and we hope this will be the first game in a long career in the Red V. Toby and his twin brother Ryan have just completed their first pre-season with the club and it’s great to see his hard work rewarded.

We remain active in the recruitment space to fill the final spot in our Top 30 roster.

NRLW
A big recruitment effort is currently underway, which is highly complicated as there are very few players under contract across the league and the new CBA and salary cap are still being finalised.

With four new teams entering the competition this year (Cowboys, Sharks, Tigers and Raiders), there are plenty of opportunities for players to find themselves more game time and strong financial outcomes so there will be a lot of movement in that space.

Jamie Soward is working hard to pull our squad together and will no doubt get the best from the group from the moment they start their pre-season around May.

Community
Our community team did a tremendous job arranging for our players to head out and visit over 30 schools in our region last month. The schools and kids were thrilled (as were our players) and we look forward to a lot more work in the community this season after the last couple of COVID-restricted years. You can view the Kogarah school visits gallery here.

I would like to congratulate Zoe Raymond, who was selected by elders and players as the winning artist to have her work featured on our 2023 Indigenous Jersey, which will be worn during our Round 12 home game against the Roosters. We were fortunate to have 21 artists enter the contest, which focused on the truth telling account of the Biddea’gal and Dharawal people battle against the colonists in the early 1800s led by supreme Aboriginal warrior Pemulwuy. You can view all submissions here.

Red V membership
We continue to be awed by the passion of our Red V members and the loyal support we receive. It’s been positive to see an increased uptake of new memberships for 2023 and this is putting us well on track to reach our 20,000 member target.

The players and I enjoyed the opportunity to meet some of our members face-to-face at Kogarah last week and we plan to have many more such opportunities for people to connect throughout the year.

Commercial
We were thrilled to announce KFC as a new apparel partner of the club. Having a strong multinational brand such as this align with the Dragons shows the confidence in the direction of the club on several levels.

This weekend we look forward to welcoming our corporate partners along to Netstrata Jubilee Stadium for the first time this year.

In Conclusion
As always, I’d like to thank everyone for their support of the club this season and look forward to a successful kick-off to our 2023 NRL campaign this weekend.

Yours faithfully,
Ryan Webb
CEO – St George Illawarra Dragons

Wolfgang90

Juniors
Good to hear they're going to do more fan interaction and club media through the podcast. Hope it's a weekly podcast and not like once a month.

denis preston

First Grade
We have heard from the CEO Ryan Webb

It’s been a testing off season for the club and it’s great that we will finally get to look ahead and watch our team play this weekend as we take on the Titans at home.

Everyone at the club was disappointed with the recent actions of some players. Much of this negativity stems from poor individual decision making and it’s something we are working towards correcting, as it takes attention away from all the positive work around the club, has potential to hurt our on-field progress, and disappoints our fans and community.

The Dragons will always act quickly and strongly in terms of discipline when appropriate, but we must be conscious of legal proceedings and processes that need to be followed to ensure we act on the right information and outcomes.

We respect the intent of the NRL’s no-fault stand down policy and appreciate that they have taken into account the changing circumstances around Junior Amone’s case and allowed him to play. As a club we remain conscious and respectful of the ongoing legal proceedings.

Progress continues on the Community and High-Performance Centre. There is still a lot of work to do but we are pressing forward and there is genuine excitement building throughout the club as the benefits of the facility become more and more apparent to everyone from our commercial team, community department, pathways programs, NRLW and of course the NRL.

The Dragons are supporting a new podcast hosted by Christian McEwan of i98 FM, which is aimed at keeping you informed of all things Dragons. We have given them licence to not only focus on the positives, but to challenge our thinking and actions and we’ll aim to be as open and transparent as possible. Our players and prominent members of the club will be guests throughout the season and I was fortunate to be the inaugural guest this week. Keep an eye out on our social channels for the first episode being released in the coming days.

NRL
We now have 29 players signed following the addition of Paul Turner from Gold Coast and the upgrade of Toby Couchman to the Top 30 list.

Paul gives us coverage across our halves and fullback. He is an impressive young man with a lot of talent and we hope to see some good football from him throughout the year.

It will be exciting to see Toby, a local product of our development pathways, make his debut this weekend and we hope this will be the first game in a long career in the Red V. Toby and his twin brother Ryan have just completed their first pre-season with the club and it’s great to see his hard work rewarded.

We remain active in the recruitment space to fill the final spot in our Top 30 roster.

NRLW
A big recruitment effort is currently underway, which is highly complicated as there are very few players under contract across the league and the new CBA and salary cap are still being finalised.

With four new teams entering the competition this year (Cowboys, Sharks, Tigers and Raiders), there are plenty of opportunities for players to find themselves more game time and strong financial outcomes so there will be a lot of movement in that space.

Jamie Soward is working hard to pull our squad together and will no doubt get the best from the group from the moment they start their pre-season around May.

Community
Our community team did a tremendous job arranging for our players to head out and visit over 30 schools in our region last month. The schools and kids were thrilled (as were our players) and we look forward to a lot more work in the community this season after the last couple of COVID-restricted years. You can view the Kogarah school visits gallery here.

I would like to congratulate Zoe Raymond, who was selected by elders and players as the winning artist to have her work featured on our 2023 Indigenous Jersey, which will be worn during our Round 12 home game against the Roosters. We were fortunate to have 21 artists enter the contest, which focused on the truth telling account of the Biddea’gal and Dharawal people battle against the colonists in the early 1800s led by supreme Aboriginal warrior Pemulwuy. You can view all submissions here.

Red V membership
We continue to be awed by the passion of our Red V members and the loyal support we receive. It’s been positive to see an increased uptake of new memberships for 2023 and this is putting us well on track to reach our 20,000 member target.

The players and I enjoyed the opportunity to meet some of our members face-to-face at Kogarah last week and we plan to have many more such opportunities for people to connect throughout the year.

Commercial
We were thrilled to announce KFC as a new apparel partner of the club. Having a strong multinational brand such as this align with the Dragons shows the confidence in the direction of the club on several levels.

This weekend we look forward to welcoming our corporate partners along to Netstrata Jubilee Stadium for the first time this year.

In Conclusion
As always, I’d like to thank everyone for their support of the club this season and look forward to a successful kick-off to our 2023 NRL campaign this weekend.

Yours faithfully,
Ryan Webb
CEO – St George Illawarra Dragons
Sorry , was a big fan of Webby but he promised some exciting signings his last post 5 or 6 months ago. Didn’t happen. Is he just a PR man or just hamstrung by the Board ?

mattchuot

Juniors
Sorry , was a big fan of Webby but he promised some exciting signings his last post 5 or 6 months ago. Didn’t happen. Is he just a PR man or just hamstrung by the Board ?
To be fair to Webb, he has made some solid progress on the business side of the club such as the CoE, KFC sponsorship, getting the club turning a profit for two years straight through COVID. That's his background and where his strengths lie. No doubt he is responsible for football matters like having a say in recruitment/retention too but if we are lay blame on those matters I think it should fall on Haran/Milward's head before Webb.

HenryTatana

Juniors
To be fair to Webb, he has made some solid progress on the business side of the club such as the CoE, KFC sponsorship, getting the club turning a profit for two years straight through COVID. That's his background and where his strengths lie. No doubt he is responsible for football matters like having a say in recruitment/retention too but if we are lay blame on those matters I think it should fall on Haran/Milward's head before Webb.
I’d say the KFC thing fell in his lap. KFC sponsored several clubs last year and still support a few this year. The fact that KFC don’t sponsor the video ref any more meant they probably had a bit of coin to spend on another team.

Kudos anyway. The logo fits in really well on the Red V jersey.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Found the podcast interesting without being encouraging.
Basically, went over what we already knew, with a few extra bits and pieces thrown in, but nothing that would cause any ripples or waves.

Moreover, nothing mentioned about the coach. Whether this was deliberate, or just ignorant or just didn't want to go there, it was more noticeable from its absence.

So, what can we glean from that?

Well, imo, it only has 2 reasons;

1. The coach is in no danger of losing his job, or
2. It has already been pre-determined that discussions have been made but no 'cat out of the bag' scenario via a podcast.

I think the first 5 games will give us a clearer picture as to what option the club is leaning to.

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
I finally got around to listening to the Dragons Den podcast on i98fm. Spider Webb is like a warm, comfortable blanket on a cold night! He says all the right things, is a bit self deprecating, and indicates that the club will improve its on field performance by deliberately choosing to go down the path of junior pathways development and cherry picking the best from the Kogarah and Illawarra junior players, supplemented by the odd strategic purchase of players from the available market. Do I believe him? Well, I really want to. But ........

True_Believer

Juniors
I finally got around to listening to the Dragons Den podcast on i98fm. Spider Webb is like a warm, comfortable blanket on a cold night! He says all the right things, is a bit self deprecating, and indicates that the club will improve its on field performance by deliberately choosing to go down the path of junior pathways development and cherry picking the best from the Kogarah and Illawarra junior players, supplemented by the odd strategic purchase of players from the available market. Do I believe him? Well, I really want to. But ........

So I'm not sure why people complain that there's no news to come out of the club. Nobody believes it anyway. They complain there's no news, then when there is, they complain that it's all crap.

This place is like the whole woke movement. Gotta have something to complain about irrespective of what is said or done.

DfL

Juniors
So I'm not sure why people complain that there's no news to come out of the club. Nobody believes it anyway. They complain there's no news, then when there is, they complain that it's all crap.

This place is like the whole woke movement. Gotta have something to complain about irrespective of what is said or done.
Lol i totally agree with you!! We have the most negative fans i'd say

OneEyedDragon

Juniors

Whaaat? I'm not complaining - I liked what I heard! Can you assure me it will all come to fruition though? I think your comment is overly harsh.